The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Problems with Dell XPS 15 9550; thinking about going with an ADK laptop
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Problems with Dell XPS 15 9550; thinking about going with an ADK laptop

Hi all,

I've had insane issues with trying to get hard drive enclosures to work with a Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop. In short, I think there's a motherboard and/or driver/firmware issue(s), and the enclosures don't interface well with the laptop. Not only do the external enclosures/drives not work properly (USB and Thunderbolt 3), trying to use them can even knock modules like Bluetooth, WiFi, and even the trackpad offline. Here's a good article by somebody from Plugable: Investigating USB-C Problems on Some Dell XPS and Precision Laptops | Plugable

Dell's "India-only" lack of US-based support blows beyond measure. For brevity's sake, I won't get into the details.

I'm filing a dispute with my credit card company to get my money back, and after that happens, I'm thinking about buying a laptop from ADK.

Now, I know the ADK laptops are just rebadged Clevos, are more expensive compared with other offerings, and I don't feel like I need their lifetime tech support. However, I'm not a software or hardware engineer, and if something goes wrong in a laptop (especially nowadays with their custom-built parts), I may not be able to fix it myself. Dell seems to be notorious for having certain pieces of their computers not work, and this is unacceptable for a $2,000 machine.

By the way, even regarding ADK, my understanding is that if there's an issue, they ship the laptop back to Clevo anyway. Even so, the lack of having US support, like I'm currently dealing with with Dell, is enough to drive anybody insane.

So I'm thinking about spending more money, even though it's a lot more, to have a US-based contact with a company like ADK. My credit card company should give me an additional 2 year warranty for free, although I'd have to go through their process if anything were to go wrong after the first year (unless I were to buy an extended warranty from ADK, which I don't intend to do).

Any other competitors to look at with US-based warranty support as good as ADK? I understand there are a few others in the "gaming" space like Clevo/Sager, Gigabyte, Razer Blade, and Aorus, but I don't have experience with their laptops.

And this Asus Zenbook got a good review here: Best Windows Laptop For Music Production in 2016 but looking at the Amazon reviews, some users have had problems with Asus support. It would be significantly cheaper though, at over $500 less than what I paid for the Dell, with what look like the same specs.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks.
Old 27th July 2016
Does it have to be a laptop ? I occasionally want portability but I seldom have the problems you describe
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Yeah, because I might want to travel with it. Otherwise, I'd just build a desktop myself.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear
Off the shelf laptops are a gamble. You just don't know what your going to get regarding chipsets like USB or Wireless/networking components or any internal hardware that might cause conflicts. Specs can mean next to nothing. My advice would be to get something from ADK or buy straight from Clevo. For off the shelf I only trust Lenovo or HP.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

HP spectre is dope. We had some for eval at work. I wouldn't touch a clevo-esque laptop for production, way to many unknowns.

Shame about the XPS, was thinking of heading that way for my next laptop. Suppose I'll stick to Thinkpad.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
or buy straight from Clevo.
I have to say, as an end user they probably wouldn't exceed the M.O.Q for doing so...
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Are you using external drives with their own power supply, or buss powered ones? If buss powered, and you have a lot of USB devices in use at the same time, that is most likely your problem as laptops have only limited power available for the USB ports.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search