The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clicks With VSTi.. A Weird One.. Need Help! Audio Interfaces
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

Clicks With VSTi.. A Weird One.. Need Help!

So now it's my turn for the clicks and pops issues. Hardware and Software are listed in my Sig. PC has the basic tuning done. USB power, PC High Performance Power Scheme, C-States, Core Parking etc.

What happens is when playing VSTi, Ivory, RavensCroft, PianoTeq for some length of time, say maybe 5 minutes, I get a click. It might be in the left channel, right channel or both. I may get a couple of clicks after this one or it may go another 5, 10, 15 minutes without a single click. Here is what my PD has uncovered:

1. Happens with Reaper, Studio One or the stand alone respective players.

2. Buffer size "may" mask it a little, so if I get 3 clicks during a song if I increase the buffer size I might only get 1 click.. Reason I say "may" is I'm not sure. One thing I am sure of is I can't eliminate it. Sooner or later it happens.

3. Happens just playing the VSTi. I don't have to be recording.

4. It doesn't get printed to the track. If I record and play the track back I may get a click or two but they do not align to the same places where I got the click when I was recording. I may not get any clicks playing back.

5. Fails with my MOTU Ultralite and also my Delta 66 PCI card.

6. Fails with either the Ultralite MIDI port or an MAudio MidiSport MIDI port.

7. Sounds just like the other chap in this thread.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12037551-post1.html

8. I'm inclined to say it's power line related, like A/C, fridge, etc cycling except I can listen to MP3 all day long and never hear a click. Never.

9. I've run task manager and tried to trap something going on when this occurs but can't nail anything down. Tried disabling networking but that did nothing.
My MOTU is the only thing on a USB2 port. Everything else is on USB3.

Folks, I'm lost on this one.

Any ideas?
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Several things you can do for starters:

1- Check if there are any background services running in Windows 10 (radio, windows mail, music). Disable everything you see switched on. Kill them all .

2- Download Crystaldiskmark and run it on both your SSD and HDD. It will check your drives for "read" and "write" performance issues.

3- I hate to say this, but try to get a bigger SSD and move your libraries to it. Why do i recommend that ? Because i had the same problem in the past and once i moved my "hungry only" libraries to my SSD, all the clicks disappeared.

4- Clicks DO and MIGHT happen again in the future with certain intensively sampled VSTI libraries (pianos for example), especially if you push them too hard (like keeping the sustain pedal for too long and playing more notes etc...). But again, a bigger SSD should make a big difference for you.
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitsimple View Post
Several things you can do for starters:

1- Check if there are any background services running in Windows 10 (radio, windows mail, music). Disable everything you see switched on. Kill them all .

2- Download Crystaldiskmark and run it on both your SSD and HDD. It will check your drives for "read" and "write" performance issues.

3- I hate to say this, but try to get a bigger SSD and move your libraries to it. Why do i recommend that ? Because i had the same problem in the past and once i moved my "hungry only" libraries to my SSD, all the clicks disappeared.

4- Clicks DO and MIGHT happen again in the future with certain intensively sampled VSTI libraries (pianos for example), especially if you push them too hard (like keeping the sustain pedal for too long and playing more notes etc...). But again, a bigger SSD should make a big difference for you.
Thanks keepitsimple... # 1 looks like something I probably need to do. I have disabled some stuff but I do think I need to revisit this one. In progress.....

#2 The samples are running off an SSD but I did try moving Ravenscroft (the easyist to move) over to one of my WD Black drives and had the same problem.
I run Crystal often to monitor temp, bad sectors etc.. I will run it tonight and see. You never know when something gets sick and starts holding down the bus.

3. Have Ivory, Ravenscroft on a 250G SSD with about 80G free. Also see above about moving to a spinner.

4. Damm, you nailed me... I'm a HEAVY SUSTAIN PEDAL user. I'm untrained so my fingerings suck and I use the sustain to make up for that lack of ability.

I'm thinking you nailed it with #4 .

Last edited by loopy; 27th July 2016 at 12:47 PM..
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear

Just a followup on what I have done to solve this problem, fingers crossed!

1. Excluded the Ivory, Ravenscroft, PianoTeq folders from Windows Defender.

2. Excluded the MOTU service that runs the Ultralite AVB from Windows Defender. MOTUProAudioService or something like that.

3. Switched to "Give Background Applications Priority" Under System-->Advanced. This one is an old one that should not be needed anymore, but why not try it?

4. Changed Sample Rate to 48k and 64 buffer with 64 safety offset.. This gives me about 5.2msec RTL in Reaper or Studio One.

5. Turned off "Half Pedaling" in all applications as my controller doesn't support it AFAIK. Re-pedaling is still on.

BINGO.... No more random clicks.

Played for over an hour switching from VSTi to VSTi and not a single click. The weird thing about this one is it wouldn't fail when first starting to play a VSTi. It would fail maybe 5 minutes into playing and then maybe another 5-10 minutes again.... Really weird. It was like I was filling up a bucket with water (notes) and when I overfilled the bucket, things would get unstable.

I've been recording all day at 64/64 48k and not a single click.
Not even one.

So things are looking better!
Not sure which change fixed it, don't care and not going to aggravate the shinto gods to find out lol !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search