The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Transfer hard drives
Old 26th July 2016
Here for the gear

Transfer hard drives

I'm ording a new DAW mobo/cpu etc Barebone.. My current HD on my old system has all my software.. PT's, EzDrummer, Slate, plugins etc and windows 7.. I'm going with a new Sata drive as my C: for my new computer.. is it as easy as just making my C: from old computer the slave and just copy all files and move to my new C: drive?? please don't tell me I have to download and install the 50+ so softwares and plugins do I? Also my new drive will come with windows 10 installed.. my old drive has windows 7.. if I am able to transfer everything from my old C drive to the new one will the PC get confused if theres windows 10 and 7 on it? I'd really like to have to avoid going through the whole drive to move certain files... Any help would be much appreciated.. thanks!
Old 26th July 2016
you can make your old drive a slave and copy stuff over......problem is that alot of plugins store information in places other than their install directory so you have to find all the files for them and make sure you get them all......and also .dll files you may have to retrieve as well.....it can get messy but it can be done.....sometimes it is easier to just install them again

sometimes you can just run the program whatever it may be off the drive without transfer but more than likely it will look in the new os directories for alot of files like your hiden app data folder not to mention different OS directory stuff

most of the time if the program ins't just packed in a zip file in one folder....there is a reason
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Uncle View Post
... please don't tell me I have to download and install the 50+ so softwares and plugins do I? ...
I'll let someone else tell you...

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-pc-windows-10
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Maniac

The only way to truly guarantee all software will function correctly with the OS is to install every program one at a time.

You can copy and move any files you've created to the new C drive and easily access them there. But you cannot move installed programs.

If you were keeping Windows 7 as your OS you could clone the old drive to your new SATA drive. But changing to a different OS removes that option.

You can't see it now, but you'll save yourself a LOT of time and frustration if you start from scratch.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Personally I would be cloning my hard drive and sticking with Win 7.

If you are sure that you want Win 10 then why not just clone your existing drive (which will mean you don't have to reinstall anything) onto the new drive and then do an "upgrade" to Win 10?

There's a simple guide here:

How to Upgrade Your Existing Hard Drive in Under an Hour
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

If you don't need Windows 10 for some reason and everything is working fine under 7, clone your new drive with your old one. A friend of mine went to 10 a couple of months ago. No need to do it, he just thought a new os would be better. Way wrong. He is still fighting with it. He wishes he would have stayed with 7.
L.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear
Moving from machine to machine can get quite messy and complicated and easier to just install everything over again. Chipset drivers and files will certainly differ from machine to machine to start with then there is registry files and all kinds of problems waiting to happen. You can clone your existing drive and try and load it to give it a shot. The best results for that would be if the machines are nearly the same (same processor-chipset etc.) There are free versions of backup software out there (Acronis etc.) but I would recommend doing it right.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

I just cloned my drive from HDD to SSD and it was a royal pain. It is true SSD is a bit snappier but in all honestly, if i would have just moved K10U to a separate HD, it would have been just as fast. I deleted it off my old drive before i cloned it and it REALLY sped things up. Oh well, we live and learn.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search