The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows 10 Latency Dynamics Plugins
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Nut

Windows 10 Latency

Hey Guys,
I decided to try Windows 10. New hard drive and installation went flawless. Before installing Cubase etc. I wanted to check my latency and make sure all is good. I installed LatencyMon . I included 2 screenshots. The first is with no audio and the second I simply was playing a song with groovemusic or whatever Windows10 calls the media player. Is this normal? I remember with Windows 7 it stayed around 70us even when playing an audio file. I am curious if it might be my OLD Fireface400 not liking Windows 10. I did try the "legacy" driver and nothing changed after reboot. I don't see any spikes and it stays consistent in the 400plus range. When I stop the audio playing it returns to the lower latency. This may be normal but I did not want to go any further if this is a problem. Thanks for any help!! My mobo is an UD3H-B3, I7, 16gig memory and 250gig Maxtor SSD if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Windows 10 Latency-1.jpg   Windows 10 Latency-2.jpg  
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

It's normal, DPC is a measurement of how long it takes to action anything on the CPU. If you play something, your putting a constant load over time on the CPU, so should expect it to prioritize as needed.
Old 26th July 2016
+1
Added to that, LatencyMon should run on an idle system, not with other applications running.
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

To me it also doesn't look excessive.. Wdf01000.sys is part of driver framework in Windows, which is used by your FireWire adapter.. so DPC time, you'll seeing indicates adapter activity. If you won't find further issues with playback stuttering in ASIO application, then let it be.

Michal
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Nut

Thank you guys for the replies! That helps me greatly!!
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

If you have a application that you think is troublesome, also look at in the task manager to look for high CPU usage, which typically has be high for some built in Windows applications, historically.
At times there are applications which will hurt your system performance, but that's just regular tweaking kind of stuff. For instance a high upload/download is very bad (Onedrive/Groove/Movies), and should be deferred to when the cpu is not being relied upon.

As for playback with media, double check your audio properties 'start button'-"sound"-Advanced tab - set this to the proper setting. Same thing with the Recording tab, and disable all enhancements (which could also cause cpu usage). Many laptops come with this default to on. This is all just regular setup procedure.
Working at different samplerates might change your latency.

Your pictures, the read seems a bit high, my 2 y/o system can play media+browse internet/email etc without going over 60ms highest DPCl (us)
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Nut

Wakestyle,
Thanks for the info. That is the reason I wanted to ask. When I was on windows 7 I could do like you say and play media etc and I would stay in the 60-70 area as well. It bothered me that it would jump to 400+ with W10. I decided today to enable the on-board audio and disable the Fireface400 just to see what happens. Well it stayed consistent around 70-80 when playing media which confused me a bit! I am testing this so if I screw something up experimenting it is no biggie lol. I can go back to W7 easily! I do think there is a conflict with W10 and my Fireface/Firewire OR maybe it is just normal... Thanks again for chiming in.
Old 28th July 2016
These DPC latency monitoring apps all report wildly incorrect values under Windows 8 and above as well. I stopped using them some time ago.

Go by what you hear.

Pete
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom music View Post
250gig Maxtor SSD
Maxtor is back?
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Nut

Alndln,
You got me there lol. I have no idea why on earth I wrote that! It is a Samsung EVO 850..
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
These DPC latency monitoring apps all report wildly incorrect values under Windows 8 and above as well. I stopped using them some time ago.
Latency Monitor is fine for day to day use. However it's good to see W.P.T under W10 is finally usable without having to spend half a day downloading esoteric symbol packs. I must even confess to quite liking using it these days, although it's far to heavy still to throw on every single system as they pass over the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Maxtor is back?
Maxtor
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search