The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who's using McDsp Analog Channel?
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear
Exclamation Who's using McDsp Analog Channel?

Now that processing power is through the roof and coding and techniques have gotten more and more sophisticated, do you guys still find the use for AC1 and AC2? I remember loving them years ago in certain situations, I kinda miss them.. Any stories?

Oh, I am going to demo them (I'm waiting for the license to bump up on my iLok..) soon . .we'll see how it turns around
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

I still occasionally use them but a lot less than when they first came out. Mostly when I need saturation on a less important track i might pop one on. They don't sound bad, there are just better plugs for console and tape saturation out now.
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

I have had AC for awhile and still use them. Mainly AC2. I have other tape emulations and saturation plug ins, Crane Song, decapitator, TapeHead, fabfilter saturation etc...... but I still find myself using AC2 quite a bit. Do any of these sound like tape? Not really, compared to the Otari 1/2" 2 track then most certainly not.

I like how one can control the bass boost and the freq, bias, gaining etc on the AC2. I find it very handy to get what I want out of it.
Old 28th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
I have had AC for awhile and still use them. Mainly AC2. I have other tape emulations and saturation plug ins, Crane Song, decapitator, TapeHead, fabfilter saturation etc...... but I still find myself using AC2 quite a bit. Do any of these sound like tape? Not really, compared to the Otari 1/2" 2 track then most certainly not.

I like how one can control the bass boost and the freq, bias, gaining etc on the AC2. I find it very handy to get what I want out of it.
After few days with AC1 and mainly AC2 I went and bought it. It certainly works like nothing else, easy and intuitive to use, sounds fun and good quality even after all the years. Yeah, not like any tape machine I've used neither, but still a fun and IMO very good sounding tool to contribute some extra character to tracks
Old 28th July 2016
M2E
Lives for gear

Still use it hear a lot. Their plugins are thee lowest in cpu usage.
You can use 30 of them and only use 2% of cpu.
Great sounding. Great soft compression and tape emu.

My go to for large mixes to get them under control.

Marc
Old 29th July 2016
Lives for gear

They are great IMO........... And the AC202 is one of a few tape emus that actually compress like tape when pushed hard.

To compare, the Slate VTM (which I like) does the tape coloring, but NOT the compression no matter how hard you push it.

That said, all McDSP plugins both sounds great and are very CPU efficient. Overall GREAT tools
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search