The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Softube Console 1 "Attempting to connect Console 1..."
Old 25th July 2016
Here for the gear

Softube Console 1 "Attempting to connect Console 1..."

Straight to the point: I have the Console 1 hardware connected to the PC. I have the On-Screen Display running. But when i open up a plug-in instance of Console 1 I get this message (Image link below):

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I have heard about "establishing connection between Console 1 and your DAW", but i don't know how to do so. Im running FLStudio 11.
Any help / suggestions would be amazing!

Last edited by mottell; 25th July 2016 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: missing "
Old 26th July 2016
Here for the gear

Any suggestions / ideas??
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

For some reason, I have to unplug and plug back in the usb cable. I then go into my apps and launch the console 1 app. I'm using a Mac though.
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Addict

There are known issues with console 1 and usb3 ports..
Normally plugging into usb2 ports works fine.
Hit up softube support if you have issues with usb 2.
Old 29th October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mottell View Post
Straight to the point: I have the Console 1 hardware connected to the PC. I have the On-Screen Display running. But when i open up a plug-in instance of Console 1 I get this message (Image link below):

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I have heard about "establishing connection between Console 1 and your DAW", but i don't know how to do so. Im running FLStudio 11.
Any help / suggestions would be amazing!
I’m having the exact same problem with Logic Pro X and mid 2011 Mac mini server that has USB 2 ports. Were you ever able to resolve?
Old 15th October 2018
Here for the gear

Same problem here with a brand new MacBook Pro. Did anybody find a solution for this problem?
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktivomat View Post
Same problem here with a brand new MacBook Pro. Did anybody find a solution for this problem?
Hi, Stephan here form the Netherlands. New to the board. Did you solve this problem already? Really want to start using my new Console 1 in Logic, but no succes so far.

Thanks for the help!
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

Hey Stephan! I have some bad and a good news for you.

The first bad: I had a long long journey with the support of Softube but nobody was able to help me.

The good: I found a solution!

Another bad: The final solution was to do a complete fresh install of my system. 3 days of work!

In my case it had definitely something to do with the fact that I changed my MacBook and just did a clone of my old system to the new one.

So what is your setup (PC, Mac, what kind, what system)? Did you connect it directly to your machine? Have you ever been able to get it work?
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

Jaaiks! That doesn't sound very nice...just contacted Softube as well..maybe they'll suggest the same

My setup is: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 (which has USB3), which is connected by Thunderbolt to a Thunderbolt Display and that USB2 port is connected to the Console 1.
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

I also can't remember that I got the 'Activate license' pop-up screen in Logic when I first started Logic after the Console 1 install. In their video guidance they say you should see that screen. But still I can open the plugin in Logic but only with the message "Attempting to connect to Console 1. ...."
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

Ohje... this was exact the same behavior as I experienced...

So the first thing I would try (if you haven't tried yet) to connect the Console 1 directly to the MacBook.

If this doesn't work I would (just for testing) install a complete fresh system to an external drive (e.g. USB-drive) and just the Softube software and any "basic" DAW (e.g. REAPER | Download). Then use this drive as startup-drive and test if your setup works and that there is no hardware-defect.

If this helps I fear... you have to do a fresh install.

But maybe Softube support has a better solution for you... they are very helpful indeed.
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks very much for the help! Will try that.

Cheers!
Old 30th November 2018
Here for the gear

You're welcome! Just inform us when you found a solution... good luck!
Old 1st December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktivomat View Post
Ohje... this was exact the same behavior as I experienced...

So the first thing I would try (if you haven't tried yet) to connect the Console 1 directly to the MacBook.

If this doesn't work I would (just for testing) install a complete fresh system to an external drive (e.g. USB-drive) and just the Softube software and any "basic" DAW (e.g. REAPER | Download). Then use this drive as startup-drive and test if your setup works and that there is no hardware-defect.

If this helps I fear... you have to do a fresh install.

But maybe Softube support has a better solution for you... they are very helpful indeed.
Yep, this is the only solution. I've tested it with the fresh OS on an external drive with Reaper, and it works. Since it doesn't work in Reaper in my current OS this is the only way to go. So, here goes a forever taking process... Cheers!
Old 1st December 2018
Here for the gear

Oh dear... I know how frustration this is and how much time this will cost. I think Softube should be more helpful in this situation. Anyway... you have my compassion!
Old 1st December 2018
Dor
Lives for gear

You might want to compare the Library/Extensions folders on the fresh bootable partition with the existing MacBook Library/Extentions and remove any extension that isn’t factory installed. Trash prefs and reinstall console 1. A fresh install sounds extreme when it’s likely a few system file conflicts causing the problem. I suppose at some point you can’t spend all your time trying to isolate the issue and it’s easier to fresh install.

Good luck.

D
Old 1st December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
You might want to compare the Library/Extensions folders on the fresh bootable partition with the existing MacBook Library/Extentions and remove any extension that isn’t factory installed. Trash prefs and reinstall console 1. A fresh install sounds extreme when it’s likely a few system file conflicts causing the problem. I suppose at some point you can’t spend all your time trying to isolate the issue and it’s easier to fresh install.

Good luck.

D
In my case... I did all your tipps, what I thought this MUST solve the problem. I continued deleting stuff in all libs and prefs and folders until I almost had a "fresh" install... no fix. But maybe it will help koos634.
Old 2nd December 2018
Here for the gear

Done! Completed the fresh install; everything works!
Old 2nd December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by koos634 View Post
Done! Completed the fresh install; everything works!
Congratulations! So at least you now have a fresh and superfast system with a functioning Console 1. Have fun!
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Head
Gobbler and Softube's Installs are terrible

Great emulations and hardware but this is supposed to be a pro bit of kit. USBC/3/2 issues shouldn't be an issue.. My issues are there as well. I can't get the Brittish Console to install via Gobbler (a truly terrible piece of code - always hanging), nor can get the SSL plug which is noticed to connect to the Console 1. Very frustrating because it's great when it has worked, but randomly it just stops. Tried connecting via different USB cables, ports - direct to the computer and to a hub. No luck. Although it was working with the hub just fine for a minute. This is the only piece of gear I'm having an issue with. Even my 8-year-old Novation SL is working just fine and able to control stuff in Ableton.
Old 1st January 2019
Gear Head
Console 1 work around (Got it to work - Windows)

I think I figured it out to getting Console 1 to work on a consistent basis.

1) don't use Gobbler, instead, download the plug-ins after you sign into your Softube account.

2) make sure you have iLok installed on your CPU.

3) Plug in the Console 1.

4) hit the windows key and type in "console 1" - the app which is supposed to be on the desktop (I think) will come up and quickly authenticate and link the device. It will seem like the program died. It's super quick.

5) Make sure the display is on to test.

6) Open your DAW and get mixing with the C1

The issues seem to stem from this quirky authentication step I think. It's lame and shouldn't be needed but is a simple enough workaround which allowed me to use my C1 finally. Gobbler, on the other hand, remains a very bad piece of kit from my lens.
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Maniac

2 things helped me:

1) Don't use a USB hub. Plug directly into computer.
2) I was using API stand-alone plugin. Use Console 1 plugin.
Old 17th March 2019
Gear Head

(((fixed mine)))

I’m not sure if this helps anyone else but I realized mine was stuck on UAD control. I dont know if this switch is present in systems without UAD but I can see where someone may accidently select an alternative control mode without realuzing it. I certainly dont remember ever telling it to do so or how to get it back to controlling its plugins. It was super frustrating because during my diagnostics, the UAD wasn't even plugged in at all.

I never found how to do this online but through just fiddling w buttons, I learned that hitting shift+mode works to bring it back to normal plugin control functioning.

Happy accident.

Feels like a hidden feature that needs explaining somewhere... I made a DIY label n stuck in on there because I know I’ll quickly forget w all the idiosynchratic nonsence already happening in the studio.

Theres actually several misleading writings on console 1, particularly in the compression section w dry/wet mix being written in reverse of how the knob actually functions as well as threshold being backwards like on NI Maschine. This time not having shift+mode being labled for any function while it actually seeves a vital function got me pretty bad for a while.

Hope this helps at least one!
Old 29th June 2020
Fixed

Thank you so much, it worked perfect in Reaper. Now I can get some work done : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarmusik View Post
I think I figured it out to getting Console 1 to work on a consistent basis.

1) don't use Gobbler, instead, download the plug-ins after you sign into your Softube account.

2) make sure you have iLok installed on your CPU.

3) Plug in the Console 1.

4) hit the windows key and type in "console 1" - the app which is supposed to be on the desktop (I think) will come up and quickly authenticate and link the device. It will seem like the program died. It's super quick.

5) Make sure the display is on to test.

6) Open your DAW and get mixing with the C1

The issues seem to stem from this quirky authentication step I think. It's lame and shouldn't be needed but is a simple enough workaround which allowed me to use my C1 finally. Gobbler, on the other hand, remains a very bad piece of kit from my lens.
Old 18th September 2020
I have console 1 on Mac/High Sierra and can’t get it to function properly.
Thanks for all the suggestions, going to try it.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

I struggled with the gear ... and with "support" ... but a chance finding was that it's very picky about the USB cable ... found some don't work and some do (all worked just fine on everything else) ... you might be lucky too?
📝 Reply