The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best JCM800 sim Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 24th July 2016
Lives for gear

Best JCM800 sim

Hi all,
I'm looking for a good JCM800 amp sim. I have amplitube, eleven free, podfarm, tse(I know not Marshall)

I need Rtas axx for PT10

I do not own anything to run UAD sims...

I'd love to demo some suggestions!
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Addict
The Kazrog Thermionik JCM800 is pretty good.
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revson View Post
The Kazrog Thermionik JCM800 is pretty good.
Nice! These are the kind of suggestions I'm looking for. I like how they bundle or let you buy one amp. And I can use it with my other cabinet sims without buying theirs. Will demo...nice and cheap too!
Old 25th July 2016
Here for the gear

bx_rockrack PRO is also nice, it has JCM800 clean and lead channel. 14 free demo also
Old 25th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by GekIT View Post
bx_rockrack PRO is also nice, it has JCM800 clean and lead channel. 14 free demo also
But a real JCM800 doesn't have a clean and lead channel..

As a JCM800 owner and fanatic, so far the closest one Ive heard was Amplitube 4. I own PODFarm as well and the JCM800 model sounds nothing like the real thing (same with the Vox AC30 and blackface Fender models). I really wish Amplitube 4 was out when I wasted my money on a Line6 Toneport interface cause I would've just bought that instead. The model in Amplitube 3 wasnt very 'accurate' either but the one Ive heard in 4 was decent.
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Nut

IMHO the Amplitube 4 JCM800 is as good as it gets atm (with maybe a different cab sim ...)

Edit: I just finished a blog post about some British Crunch amp sim plugins:
https://www.aj-guitar.com/free-guita...sh-crunch.html

Last edited by andiw; 25th July 2016 at 01:45 PM..
Old 25th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
But a real JCM800 doesn't have a clean and lead channel..

As a JCM800 owner and fanatic, so far the closest one Ive heard was Amplitube 4. I own PODFarm as well and the JCM800 model sounds nothing like the real thing (same with the Vox AC30 and blackface Fender models). I really wish Amplitube 4 was out when I wasted my money on a Line6 Toneport interface cause I would've just bought that instead. The model in Amplitube 3 wasnt very 'accurate' either but the one Ive heard in 4 was decent.
You're right, adding features (2chs for JCM800) not in the original hardware is what I dislike of plug-ins in general. Btw I love bx amps sound (MESA & Fender xpecially).
Old 25th July 2016
Here for the gear

Scuffham Amps has the amazing S-Gear plugin, and the 'Stealer' amp model in it is a multi-era Marshall sim, depending on how you set the 'Bright Contour' knob and the gain stage toggles. Mike Scuffham was a product designer at Marshall back in the day, and was hugely responsible for their legendary JMP-1 pre-amp. So he knows the Marshall sound.

S-Gear has, in my opinion, the best sounding AND feeling amp sims overall in the software format. Several other products come close in tone -- though the harmonic complexity and natural note decay characteristics of S-Gear's models still puts them a cut above in my book, but the way S-Gear reacts dynamically to picking and fretting hand dynamics is far and away better than any other software amp sim out there.

The Slate Everything Bundle has S-Gear in it, last I saw.

Edit: This is my first post here on Gearslutz, I've been a lurker for years and decided to finally get down to contributing, today. Nice to be here!
Old 25th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphenetre View Post
Scuffham Amps has the amazing S-Gear plugin, and the 'Stealer' amp model in it is a multi-era Marshall sim, depending on how you set the 'Bright Contour' knob and the gain stage toggles. Mike Scuffham was a product designer at Marshall back in the day, and was hugely responsible for their legendary JMP-1 pre-amp. So he knows the Marshall sound.

S-Gear has, in my opinion, the best sounding AND feeling amp sims overall in the software format. Several other products come close in tone -- though the harmonic complexity and natural note decay characteristics of S-Gear's models still puts them a cut above in my book, but the way S-Gear reacts dynamically to picking and fretting hand dynamics is far and away better than any other software amp sim out there.

Edit: This is my first post here on Gearslutz, I've been a lurker for years and decided to finally get down to contributing, today. Nice to be here!
Welcome to the forums & thank you for the suggestion. I find the more info you give here, the more you get back! I am familiar with sgear, may demo again.
Old 25th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiw View Post
IMHO the Amplitube 4 JCM800 is as good as it gets atm (with maybe a different cab sim ...)

totally agree...

I have a real one I run though a 4x12 cab and a motherload, but when I'm travelling the Amplitube one is the closest to that grit in my opinion...
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiw View Post

It's just my opinion, but i didn't like all examples in the blog...I'm sorry to say this and thanks for posting, as i was, actually worried about my own opinions about amp sims for a long time now.

Have u ever tried plugin alliance amp simulators? I understand that the price is scary, but please try them (maybe you'll like CHANDLER).

But, please, before complaining, please read the manual (however, it doesn't state clear the input signal level. you have to make some tests and adjust properly) and adjust properly the input gain and the Power soak (try a compressor after the simulator +- 3-8 GR).

To make a long story short i demoed all mentioned plugins and really tried to like Scuffham and other developers due to so many praise over the internet.

I did't like most of them (i did enjoy Mercuriall - for heavy stuff- but i asked if there was a trial test - with the vox simulation- and nobody replied... and i'm glad they didn't actually hehe. but their free stuff is incredible, please check it out).

And there were lots of people saying about "oomphf", and i hate it haha, but i understand that many guitar players would enjoy it.

And the last "my story through amp sims", when i tested P.A. Amp simulator I HATED it. i did't care to demo it for even 5 minutes. When i saw a review about the input gain, I tested it again (as i didn't like other developers), and suddenly i have all of their amp plugins.

Please do try.

When trying the MEGA SINGLE or DUAL and claiming it's so muddy, please place a TS pedal emulator and play with tone control.

If you still don't like it, please try P.A. amp simulators at 88 sample rate. if u don't like, then i hope u like ur amp sims better! :]

My journey across amp simulators took about 2 years haha. hope it helps! and thanks for the audio files.
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Nut

@ Michaeltn86 : I think you're mixing things up here ... I'm not the OP and actually I'm quite happy with my plugin choices ...
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Maniac
sorry, maybe i talked too much :] i wrote to you due to ur link. if you are happy with your amp sims i'm happy for u too :]

thanks for the audio files in the link!
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

I thought there was a very good & free developer at one point who had a decent clone. But that goes a couple years back & I can't remember.

What about the old plexi? Any suggestions there?
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Addict
Are you thinking of Le Pou amp sims? They aren't RTAS or AAX as far as I know.
Old 26th July 2016
I've had great results with NI Guitar Rig...I couldn't speak to its accuracy per se, not having an 800 here to compare, but I dig the sound of it. Whether it sounds like the real thing I really couldn't say but it sounds good. The pedal sims in GR sound great too IMO.
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
What about the old plexi? Any suggestions there?
Still haven't heard a decent Superlead sim yet (Amplitube doesn't even have one).. But then again Superleads were all over the place depending on when it was made.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

If you have Amplitude 4 free, you can actually try all kind of amp/cab and if you like them just buy those specific amp/cabs for something like $30. I tried a lot of them and found exactly the sound I was seeking.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac

I've gotten the best results out of BIAS from Positive Grid. Here's a walkthrough video I did a couple years ago of the iPad version. The desktop version has all the same features plus amp matching if you wanna match a real world amp you have...

Old 27th July 2016
Amplitube 4 get's the 100w/Greenback thing,but,as 2203 Marshall's all sound different to me[sorry,but I despise the 50w]I use a combo[meaning it's often different] of JCM,Red Pig,Boss DS-1 etc,they sound NOTHING like playing through my JCM ATM-whole other story-got it fully re-built,but I don't really like it.

Back when it was newer,new in 1984,and only got[not by me] very basic re-tubing/biasing to 94,and it used to blow up[not very often but yeah],coupled with these 4 repaired genuine 70's Greenbacks-,every one who used it-we'd play,or soundcheck opening for some Aussie Rock Gods,often I would get asked if the Headline Guitar player could use it,almost all said it was by far one of the best Marshalls in general.

Amplitube 4 is easily one of the best typical 100w Marshall sims,so far,but with family deaths etc I haven't recorded with it yet,only the rebuilt,with new chinese greenbacks-the jcm,Amplitube.3,Guitar rig 5 so far.
Old 27th July 2016
pjk
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phosphenetre View Post

welcome aboard !

I have s-gear and a marshall 2203. The stealer doesn't do anything like my marshall on any setting but it has its own thing going on being derived from a plexi. I find the le pou hi brit and ( particularly ) ignite amps anvil rhythm channel sound closer to jcm 800 but the bottom end is not right on any of them ( too flabby especially on muting ) and they don't have product support as such ( outstanding osx bugs on ignite amps )

I like s-gear a lot in terms of it being a package with cabs etc and good product support.
I've read many people say the same as you and thats great but i also have a neutral solid state amp and 1 x 12 boogie cab ( evl ), 4 x 12 , 2 x 12 and having tried s-gear through them ( with cab sim off ) i know ( to me ) it is not any better than the free ones above for clean tones. For heavier sustained overdrive those free ones are considerably better - more amp like harmonics, tone and frequency response. However, S-gear can do fender style breakup with the wayfarer and the duke better, but i find s-gear too light in the low frequencies in general compared to my real amps ( marshall, boogie, vox ac ) and other sims. A bit of pre eq before going to cab sorts that though.
All amp sims sound better balanced to me when i record them through my real cabs ( instead of IR's ) but having done this it is clear to me that the modelling is still not quite there yet especially for cleaner and breakup tones. I thought AT 4's new messa MK3 was the closest to my boogie ( better than le pou leCto ) but the MK4 sounded horrible.

cheers

Last edited by pjk; 27th July 2016 at 02:15 PM..
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
If you have Amplitude 4 free, you can actually try all kind of amp/cab and if you like them just buy those specific amp/cabs for something like $30. I tried a lot of them and found exactly the sound I was seeking.
Ampliutube 4 free? I hear references to this but never find it.

Custom shop 4 is free, but doesnt let you play the sims.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDragon View Post
Ampliutube 4 free? I hear references to this but never find it.

Custom shop 4 is free, but doesnt let you play the sims.
Au contraire my friend.
Select an existing preset
In the amp section press on the drop down menu
Make sure your internet is connected
Selected one of the non-highlighted amps, you will see a little padlock
Click on it
It will open the Custom Shop internet page
(You might have to create an account at this point)
Select some of the many amps available amps and they will let you try it for 48hrs (you need to have the custom shop page open when trying them)
Buy the one you like for $20/30
Same thing for the cabs which cost $5/15
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
Au contraire my friend.
Select an existing preset
In the amp section press on the drop down menu
Make sure your internet is connected
Selected one of the non-highlighted amps, you will see a little padlock
Click on it
It will open the Custom Shop internet page
(You might have to create an account at this point)
Select some of the many amps available amps and they will let you try it for 48hrs (you need to have the custom shop page open when trying them)
Buy the one you like for $20/30
Same thing for the cabs which cost $5/15
The only caveat is they don't let you test the 5 Marshall amps/cabs that come with Amplitube 4 for some stupid reason, including the JCM800 sim.
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Still haven't heard a decent Superlead sim yet (Amplitube doesn't even have one).. But then again Superleads were all over the place depending on when it was made.
That's what "Red Pig" is supposed to be in the new Amplitube 4,4 inputs,and a patch lead to link the channels too,as to it sounding like the real deal YMMV.
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisenet View Post
I've gotten the best results out of BIAS from Positive Grid. Here's a walkthrough video I did a couple years ago of the iPad version. The desktop version has all the same features plus amp matching if you wanna match a real world amp you have...

Dio etc very awesome!,what pickups?
Thanks R
Old 27th July 2016
Here for the gear

Mercuriall jcm800 sounds very good
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Dio etc very awesome!,what pickups?
Thanks R
Thank you. That guitar has Duncan JB/59 combo. Mahogany body.
Old 28th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisenet View Post
Thank you. That guitar has Duncan JB/59 combo. Mahogany body.
Always loved the Seymour Duncan JB,even tilted,on my Basswood reshaped,just wood stained Ibanez RS 135,ever since first release ,not overwound.
Thanks!

Post Script,I Just bought Peavey Revalver4[good too],but had I seen your clip I would'ave bought BIAS even though I really should have bought another JB,for the LH LP Studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search