The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apollo Twin: Plugins Disabled on Startup but are Enabled if I Reload the Session
Old 24th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Apollo Twin: Plugins Disabled on Startup but are Enabled if I Reload the Session

Details
1. I start my iMac power on the apollo twin and I get the disabled plugin error message. (No DAW launched)
2. I save this session in the Console, lets call it Session A.
3. I then load a different session in the Console.
4. I then reload Session A in the console and there are no disabled plugins.
5. Please note Session A resource use is: DSP 76%, PGM 78% and Mem 4%

Anyone else have this issue, is it something new with UAD 8.6.1?
Attached Thumbnails
Apollo Twin: Plugins Disabled on Startup but are Enabled if I Reload the Session-reload-console.jpg   Apollo Twin: Plugins Disabled on Startup but are Enabled if I Reload the Session-startup-console.jpg   Apollo Twin: Plugins Disabled on Startup but are Enabled if I Reload the Session-reload-uad-meter.png   Apollo Twin: Plugins Disabled on Startup but are Enabled if I Reload the Session-startup-uad-meter-.png  
Old 27th July 2016
Manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkrk View Post
Details
1. I start my iMac power on the apollo twin and I get the disabled plugin error message. (No DAW launched)
2. I save this session in the Console, lets call it Session A.
3. I then load a different session in the Console.
4. I then reload Session A in the console and there are no disabled plugins.
5. Please note Session A resource use is: DSP 76%, PGM 78% and Mem 4%

Anyone else have this issue, is it something new with UAD 8.6.1?
Hi Scott,

Do you have DSP Load Lock enabled in the Meter & Control Panel enabled? That reserves the maximum amount of DSP a plugin can use, whether it's actually used or not.

Check and see if that makes a difference.

I've never heard of this issue before, so if DSP Load Lock doesn't do the trick, you should submit a support ticket, so they can help you.

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio View Post
Hi Scott,

Do you have DSP Load Lock enabled in the Meter & Control Panel enabled? That reserves the maximum amount of DSP a plugin can use, whether it's actually used or not.

Check and see if that makes a difference.

I've never heard of this issue before, so if DSP Load Lock doesn't do the trick, you should submit a support ticket, so they can help you.

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Hi Gannon,

Thanks for responding.

I have tried with DSP Load Lock On and Off and get the same result.

The session will not load all the plugins on startup, but if I load a different session, then reload the original session everything works fine.

I have spent hours on basic troubleshooting like, trashing all UA preferences, reloading 8.6.1, trying a different computer and a different TB cable. Exactly the same result.

I have opened a ticket, number 189784, but the UA support rep Jacob D is just referring me to the UAD-2 Instance Count Chart.

I am Australian, so maybe something is getting lost in translation to American.

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by scottkrk; 27th July 2016 at 12:57 PM..
Old 27th July 2016
Manufacturer

Quote:
Hi Gannon,

Thanks for responding.

I have tried with DSP Load Lock On and Off and get the same result.

The session will not load all the plugins on startup, but if I load a different session, then reload the original session everything works fine.

I have spent hours on basic troubleshooting like, trashing all UA preferences, reloading 8.6.1, trying a different computer and a different TB cable. Exactly the same result.

I have opened a ticket, number 189784, but the UA support rep Jacob D is just referring me to the UAD-2 Instance Count Chart.

I am Australian, so maybe something is getting lost in translation to American.

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott -

I doubt it's the language barrier... ;-)

The only other thing I can think of - asking here - are you loading the same session at startup? Or does it happen with any session? I'm just wondering if it's a corrupted setup document.

If it is the same session, can you try making a new one from scratch and see if that fixes it?

Thanks!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi Scott -

I doubt it's the language barrier... ;-)

The only other thing I can think of - asking here - are you loading the same session at startup? Or does it happen with any session? I'm just wondering if it's a corrupted setup document.

If it is the same session, can you try making a new one from scratch and see if that fixes it?

Thanks!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Hi Gannon,

My other sessions load on start-up.

I have created a new session from scratch, using the same plugins from the session that won't load on start-up and I have attached .zip of the session file below.

To be specific this is how I created the session.
Menu>File>New
Inserted Plugins - from top left down each strip, working to the right. I just loaded each plugin with it's default settings. No changes to default mix settings.
No problems all plugins loaded.
Save Console settings "New Plugins Defaults Only".
Turn Apollo Power Off
Wait 10 seconds
Turn Apollo Power On
See "Connecting to Apollo"on the computer
See error message "One or more UAD Plugins have been disabled."
Close error message.
Launch console
Load a different session
Reload "New Plugins Defaults Only"
Session loads all plugins. with DSP 75% PGM 78% MEM 4% DSP LoadLock On.

Gannon I imagine you have access to an Apollo Twin Duo with all these plug-in authorised. Do you see the same behaviour?

Regards,
Scott
Attached Files
Old 28th July 2016
Manufacturer

Quote:
Hi Gannon,

My other sessions load on start-up.

I have created a new session from scratch, using the same plugins from the session that won't load on start-up and I have attached .zip of the session file below.

To be specific this is how I created the session.
Menu>File>New
Inserted Plugins - from top left down each strip, working to the right. I just loaded each plugin with it's default settings. No changes to default mix settings.
No problems all plugins loaded.
Save Console settings "New Plugins Defaults Only".
Turn Apollo Power Off
Wait 10 seconds
Turn Apollo Power On
See "Connecting to Apollo"on the computer
See error message "One or more UAD Plugins have been disabled."
Close error message.
Launch console
Load a different session
Reload "New Plugins Defaults Only"
Session loads all plugins. with DSP 75% PGM 78% MEM 4% DSP LoadLock On.

Gannon I imagine you have access to an Apollo Twin Duo with all these plug-in authorised. Do you see the same behaviour?

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for taking the time to create this session and the careful steps you've laid out to recreate the issue. I get the same result on my Twin DUO as well.

It's related to Ocean Way and I think it's because of the loading sequence. Ocean Way has a fairly large DSP footprint and it has to have contiguous room on the DSP. When it's loading after the cold boot, it looks like the Console is loading from left to right, so Ocean Way is getting loaded onto DSP 1 after the Channel 1 inserts. You can tell because there are 4 plugs on DSP 1 and 3 on DSP 2.

After the Console is 'awake', it looks like Ocean Way gets loaded first as there are 5 plugs on DSP 1 and 3 on DSP 2.

This is really great information and I will escalate the issue.

Again, thank you so much for creating such a clear and reproducible case - you rock!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 29th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for taking the time to create this session and the careful steps you've laid out to recreate the issue. I get the same result on my Twin DUO as well.

It's related to Ocean Way and I think it's because of the loading sequence. Ocean Way has a fairly large DSP footprint and it has to have contiguous room on the DSP. When it's loading after the cold boot, it looks like the Console is loading from left to right, so Ocean Way is getting loaded onto DSP 1 after the Channel 1 inserts. You can tell because there are 4 plugs on DSP 1 and 3 on DSP 2.

After the Console is 'awake', it looks like Ocean Way gets loaded first as there are 5 plugs on DSP 1 and 3 on DSP 2.

This is really great information and I will escalate the issue.

Again, thank you so much for creating such a clear and reproducible case - you rock!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Hi Gannon,

Many thanks for taking my issue seriously and confirming the test case on your hardware, it is a relief to know this isn't a particular issue with my hardware.

Also, thanks for taking the time to give a high level explanation, the software is clearly loading sessions differently just after connecting (either power on/wake from sleep), than when the connection is already established. Hopefully it is something that the software maintenance team can address in an up coming release.

Regards,
Scott

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search