The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Long term sound design tools tot invest in?
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Long term sound design tools tot invest in?

I already have formed an opinion, but wonder how you lot think about it: which tools (daw, synth plugins, apps) to this day you think is worthwhile learning and putting time and effort in?

Time is precious and software keeps piling up each day, but lots is bloatware after some time, looses support, gets abandoned etc.

What software therefore is longterm useful in your opinion?
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Guru

if you look back at say, the late 90's and ask yourself the same question you'll see that
the answer to that was pretty much - there isn't any which can be said to have survived intact.

This is why you sometimes see people running old OS's. just for certain applications / workflows / plugins etc.
Old 22nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Anything modular.

Building blocks is the best way to understand synthesis or sound design in general.
Old 22nd July 2016
Invest?

Nope. I got nothing. It's a money pit.

If you want dependable tools that will last 20+ years, buy good essential hardware.

One or two fantastic mics. A great tracking and bus compressor. 8 channels of high quality amplification. A quality summer with monitor switching/talkback. Excellent monitors. Room treatment.

Pretty much everything involving a computer requires detachment. Newer better stuff WILL come out and your old stuff will be abandoned.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

I will give an example myself: Kontakt is been around for a long time. A pretty safe bet. But I dislike the NI GUI's unfortunately.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search