The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixbus 32C, is it worth it if your using Cubase 8.5
Old 19th July 2016
Mixbus 32C, is it worth it if your using Cubase 8.5

I am wondering if their is much difference in sound between these 2 DAw's? If so what difference, and how much? How do you describe the sound difference?

Any difference if you use the Saturation tape in Mixbus or the UAD Studer or Oxide plug in?

Do you find the work flow much better with one over the other?

Also why use the Pilot feature and 2 DAW's open, why not just do everything in Mixbus 32C
Old 19th July 2016
Old 20th July 2016
Gear Nut

Personally i just use mixbus as an itb summing box after I finish my mix and add some final touches if needed. I just use the basic mixbus 3 and found it good enough for those needs. The built in eq, comp, and tape sat sounds good as well. Funny thing is I still use vcc and tape sats when i mix and still send it into mixbus... Dunno i like how it sounds tho..
It seems to give some nice extra glue and round out the edgyness from digital recordings to my ears. Just an amateur so take it however you want but it does sound nice.
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear
My projects use alot of vi's & midi tracks so I write, construct & render my source mixes in Cubase then use 32C for mastering.
I plan to use MB more in the future using audio only & mixing stems. I'm also using my Nebula/ Acqua plugins in 32C & liking the results.
Old 20th July 2016
I am also interested with Mixbus 32. You mentioned the mixes sound nice and there is some glue to the sound. Does it have more of an analog sound compared to Cubase and if so is it because of the tape emulation being added?
Old 10th September 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I am also interested with Mixbus 32. You mentioned the mixes sound nice and there is some glue to the sound. Does it have more of an analog sound compared to Cubase and if so is it because of the tape emulation being added?
Yes!, something like that, its hard to find words for it, Ive been using mixbus for some years now and Harrisons great service has provided me with any updates, so Ive gotten to know it pretty well, an how to get great sounds out of it , awesome!

Ive been asking myself the same thing, So I got given a trial version (thankyou!), and did a remix on it on a track I'm really gelling with at the moment, Ive gotten to know all the phrases and nuances like the back of my eyelids....

The difference....., Could simply be put like, its like mixing down on a different desk, one that adds a bit more magic perhaps, everything sits in a different way in the mix, like its one sound (Glue), whereas Mixbus I might describe as focused, I can hear all the instruments and vocals there and all blending together quite nicely, Maybe the 32c emulator creates a bit closer to the quality of mixing with actual voltage under the faders...

Now it looks as though I will have to purchase it...
Old 12th September 2016
For all those interested, Harrison have finally made demo versions of Mixbus 3 and 32c available. These are described as fully functional with some noise occasionally occuring.

As to the OP's original question: I use both Cubase Pro 8.5 and Mixbus 32c. All editing and arranging stuff is done in Cubase, because I'm just so familiar with it. Mixing gets done in both - if I know something needs complex routing or a lot of FX I stick with Cubase. But if something is pretty straightforward I enjoy using 32c. It really gives me that hands-on feel of a console. I just fire up my template, import the edited tracks, open the mixer window, turn some knobs and hear the mix coming together fast and vibey. As sufitek said, there's something about the summing in Mixbus that seems to gel the sound together nicely and effortless.

Do you need both? No. Does each offer something the other one don't? Yes. Do they sound different? Yes. Check it out and try.
Old 29th November 2016
Just stumbled upon this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDVSaoZhwQ

It's Reaper vs Mixbus, but although I don't know Reaper, it should represent the clean sound of digital (Cubase) quite well.

You definitely hear a difference. Let your ears decide which one you like best.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I am wondering if their is much difference in sound between these 2 DAw's? If so what difference, and how much? How do you describe the sound difference?

Any difference if you use the Saturation tape in Mixbus or the UAD Studer or Oxide plug in?

Do you find the work flow much better with one over the other?

Also why use the Pilot feature and 2 DAW's open, why not just do everything in Mixbus 32C
I know this is an older post, but wanted to give an update on my experience with Cubase and Mixbus 32C.

I was an early user of Mixbus, perhaps much earlier than it was useful for me. I tried using it with Soundflower / Jack to use as a software summing solution, but it took a lot to make that work, and at the time, other plugins weren't easily integrated.

Today, a few years after that ordeal and as a heavy Cubase user, I decided to try a different workflow. Mixbus 32 for me is still a DAW in progress, which has come a LONG way since I started using it, but still not enough to replace Cubase...at least not yet.

I exported my group stems from Cubase and imported those into MB32 and finished off my mix, and that's a resounding YES! It was the missing element to my mixes, that last 10% that was eluding me on this project. It just sounded together in the right way.

A few caveats / observations...
1) I used a couple UAD and Slate plugs on my master.
2) 3rd-party plugin GUIs got a bit sluggish when the DSP started running up, but I stopped using the visual aspect of the plugin and used the click-wheel of my trackball for minute changes, and adjusted till it sounded right.
3) All automation was done in Cubase before exporting group stems. And changes that need to be made for volume will mean that I have to make the change in Cubase, export the group stems and replace the group in question...a pain for sure, BUT with the time I saved today AND the enjoyment of mixing in-the-box again, a additional step I'm willing to make.
4) I'm still trying to make sense of the clip messages per channel strip, to monitor & maintain proper gain-staging through to the end.
5) I wish the EQ / comp had the ability to dbl-click and manually input a value. The EQ knobs are pretty small and it's challenging with a trackball to dial in values.
6) I couldn't get it to see my Artist Mix controller, big disappointment for roughing in fader values.

Overall, I'm using it as a finishing tool, not as the main workhorse. But a huge win for me today!
Old 21st March 2017
Why do you not use Mixbus' automation for minute changes? It's really easy to use.

But basically, it's similar to what I do most of the time. In Cubase I'll gainstage, edit and shape my tracks (so maybe a little tape sat on the way in and some corrective EQ I know I will have to do anyways) and bounce 'em with the multichannel export so you'll get a great rough with faders at zero. Those pre-shaped tracks get imported in 32c where all mixing and automation is done.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Why do you not use Mixbus' automation for minute changes? It's really easy to use.
I would consider using automation if my Artist Mix faders would show up in MB.
Old 21st March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_mattie View Post
Sorry, yeah, you wrote that. Fortunately, getting Faderport to work was more or less a single click as its predefined in Mixbus. Drawing automations works quite well, too, but of course it is not the same as fader riding.
Old 25th March 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
Sorry, yeah, you wrote that. Fortunately, getting Faderport to work was more or less a single click as its predefined in Mixbus. Drawing automations works quite well, too, but of course it is not the same as fader riding.
Hmm, I may have to get me a Faderport...add it to the BUY list!

I use a trackball, which isn't easy for writing automation, but a rockstar for just about everything else.
Old 26th March 2017
I love my Faderport, it's not crowding the desk, features most important DAW controls and boasts a good qualitaty motor fader.
Old 6th July 2017
Lives for gear
I am trying to use automation in Mixbus 32C but have found that if I record automation, do not like it, and then press Ctrl +Z on my computer keyboard (even a number of times) the automation move does not go away. However, if I do the same thing in Cubase the automation move goes away immediately after I press Ctrl +Z on my computer keyboard. Perhaps I am doing something wrong in Mixbus? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

UPDATE: I was informed by a Harrison rep that this is not yet available with Mixbus.

Last edited by rcprod; 9th July 2017 at 05:39 PM..
Old 10th July 2017
Deleted User
Quote:
I know this is an older post, but wanted to give an update on my experience with Cubase and Mixbus 32C.

I was an early user of Mixbus, perhaps much earlier than it was useful for me. I tried using it with Soundflower / Jack to use as a software summing solution, but it took a lot to make that work, and at the time, other plugins weren't easily integrated.

Today, a few years after that ordeal and as a heavy Cubase user, I decided to try a different workflow. Mixbus 32 for me is still a DAW in progress, which has come a LONG way since I started using it, but still not enough to replace Cubase...at least not yet.

I exported my group stems from Cubase and imported those into MB32 and finished off my mix, and that's a resounding YES! It was the missing element to my mixes, that last 10% that was eluding me on this project. It just sounded together in the right way.

A few caveats / observations...
1) I used a couple UAD and Slate plugs on my master.
2) 3rd-party plugin GUIs got a bit sluggish when the DSP started running up, but I stopped using the visual aspect of the plugin and used the click-wheel of my trackball for minute changes, and adjusted till it sounded right.
3) All automation was done in Cubase before exporting group stems. And changes that need to be made for volume will mean that I have to make the change in Cubase, export the group stems and replace the group in question...a pain for sure, BUT with the time I saved today AND the enjoyment of mixing in-the-box again, a additional step I'm willing to make.
4) I'm still trying to make sense of the clip messages per channel strip, to monitor & maintain proper gain-staging through to the end.
5) I wish the EQ / comp had the ability to dbl-click and manually input a value. The EQ knobs are pretty small and it's challenging with a trackball to dial in values.
6) I couldn't get it to see my Artist Mix controller, big disappointment for roughing in fader values.

Overall, I'm using it as a finishing tool, not as the main workhorse. But a huge win for me today!
great info ..wondering how much power your computer has? thanks
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
great info ..wondering how much power your computer has? thanks
Mac Pro 5,1 (2.4 x8 core), 96GB RAM.
Old 10th July 2017
Quote:
Mac Pro 5,1 (2.4 x8 core), 96GB RAM.
That's a serious machine. I'm pretty sure Mixbus isn't able to use all those cores, but Ben would have to confirm this. Remember having read somewhere that multicore support is somewhat limited. Usually I get along fine, but I'm using not that many 3rd party plugs, basically only on the buses and the master (but quite a few of them here).
Old 10th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The biggest block for me in using Mixbus32c is the problems I have trying to get my controllers to map to the interface.
I would love to be able to map my controller to a channel strip and have that mapping automatically follow the channel selection. Using the mouse to change eq settings is too fiddly and gets tedious.
I have been told that it is possible by editing one of the included templates but I haven't had any luck and there isn't any definitive info on the Harrison site.
The way Studio One handles controller mapping is superb. Harrison could take a lesson from it and make Mixbus a much nicer experience but I get the impression that it is just not considered important by the developers.
Old 10th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
The biggest block for me in using Mixbus32c is the problems I have trying to get my controllers to map to the interface.
I would love to be able to map my controller to a channel strip and have that mapping automatically follow the channel selection. Using the mouse to change eq settings is too fiddly and gets tedious.
I have been told that it is possible by editing one of the included templates but I haven't had any luck and there isn't any definitive info on the Harrison site.
The way Studio One handles controller mapping is superb. Harrison could take a lesson from it and make Mixbus a much nicer experience but I get the impression that it is just not considered important by the developers.
Love the idea. I still hope Harrison will release the dedicated controller. Have you contacted Ben directly? He's always willing to help.
Old 12th July 2017
Here for the gear

I have been able to work out a Midi Mapping based on the explanation on the Mixbus Forum. I'll upload it on here later so you can see. It allows me to take full control of EQ, Filters, & Gain of 1 selected buss. It makes a HUGE difference. Makes 32C even better then it already was.
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighnotes View Post
I have been able to work out a Midi Mapping based on the explanation on the Mixbus Forum. I'll upload it on here later so you can see. It allows me to take full control of EQ, Filters, & Gain of 1 selected buss. It makes a HUGE difference. Makes 32C even better then it already was.
That would be really helpful, thanks!
Does your mapping follow your channel or bus selection?
Old 15th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
That would be really helpful, thanks!
Does your mapping follow your channel or bus selection?
Hi All! So yes it does, but it only does this with Version 4. Version 3 it didn't work.

So to explain in short; Channel 1, is midi channel. CTL is a midi controller nr.

Then S1 means; First Channel Selected (in case you'd have selected more channels).

Then the 2; refers to the second plugin in the chain. On the official Harrison forums people been saying that 2 should be a 1, but for all my trying doesn't work - it works with 2. And I never changed the standard chain that automatically loads with EQ on top fyi.

Then 6 Refers to a specific function, in my case it refers to I believe low or high pass filter. Then comes the other filter, then comes other EQs and stuff.

On the official website forum someone created a list of the parameters, but again that list seemed to be a little off from my experience, but others have said it does work, so who knows what causes my experience to be a little different. After some trial and error I found the functions I wanted/needed to have mapped Check out the parameters list by clicking here.

Quote:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<ArdourMIDIBindings version="1.1.0" name="EQ Mode Fixed">

<Binding channel="1" ctl="21" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 6"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="22" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 7"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="23" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 8"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="24" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 9"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="25" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 10"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="26" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 11"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="27" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 12"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="28" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 13"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="29" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 14"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="30" uri="/route/plugin/parameter S1 2 15"/>

<Binding channel="1" note="1" uri="/route/mute S1"/>

<Binding channel="1" note="2" uri="/route/solo S1"/>

<Binding channel="1" note="3" uri="/route/recenable S1"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="11" uri="/route/gain S1"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="12" uri="/route/gain S2"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="13" uri="/route/gain S3"/>

<Binding channel="1" ctl="14" uri="/route/gain S4"/>

</ArdourMIDIBindings>
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighnotes View Post
Hi All! So yes it does, but it only does this with Version 4. Version 3 it didn't work.

So to explain in short; Channel 1, is midi channel. CTL is a midi controller nr.

Then S1 means; First Channel Selected (in case you'd have selected more channels).

Then the 2; refers to the second plugin in the chain. On the official Harrison forums people been saying that 2 should be a 1, but for all my trying doesn't work - it works with 2. And I never changed the standard chain that automatically loads with EQ on top fyi.

Then 6 Refers to a specific function, in my case it refers to I believe low or high pass filter. Then comes the other filter, then comes other EQs and stuff.

On the official website forum someone created a list of the parameters, but again that list seemed to be a little off from my experience, but others have said it does work, so who knows what causes my experience to be a little different. After some trial and error I found the functions I wanted/needed to have mapped Check out the parameters list by clicking here.
Thank you for sharing this.
Old 5th February 2019
Quote:

This is also the case with some 3rd. party vst plugs in Cubase, which is why I always keep a roller wheel mouse next to my trackball.

You could try that. It will also give you an occational change of ergonomic positioning for your wrist and arm. Helped me ??
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear
I like Mixbuss, but alot of my plugins dont show up for some reason.
Old 6th February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecandy View Post
I like Mixbuss, but alot of my plugins dont show up for some reason.
VST 2 or 3? Just never showed up or recently? What's your plugin scan timeout setting?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search