The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Must have plug ins for newbie Equalizer Plugins
Old 18th July 2016
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Must have plug ins for newbie

Just started working with Cubase after being out of the box for the last 25 years. What are a few must have first time plugs for an experienced engineer that is new to software that would compliment the plugs that are already in Cubase? Looking for two buss comp, verb, single channel comp and any other suggestions. thanks! mc

Last edited by michael cleary; 19th July 2016 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 18th July 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 

It's hard to beat The Glue by Cytomic for a great compressor. The Glue | Cytomic

Reverb, try Valhalla Vintage Verb. You can't go wrong. Don't let the low price fool you. https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/...-vintage-verb/

I'm also a big fan of all of the FabFiler plugins. http://www.fabfilter.com
Old 18th July 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
It's hard to beat The Glue by Cytomic for a great compressor. The Glue | Cytomic

Reverb, try Valhalla Vintage Verb. You can't go wrong. Don't let the low price fool you. https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/...-vintage-verb/

I'm also a big fan of all of the FabFiler plugins. FabFilter - Quality Audio Plug-Ins for Mixing, Mastering and Recording - VST VST3 AU AAX RTAS AudioSuite
The last plugin a newbie should use is '"the glue". You don't want to rely on those nasty sounding tape plugins. You want to get sounds naturally from the source and not mask them with plugins. Especially as some one starting out. It's like telling a beginning drummer to go out and buy beat detective not a metronome or for a singer to just buy "autotune" instead of taking ear training. Tape and fasto plugins are crap. They will make your mixes sound cheap. They should be avoided all together.
Old 18th July 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
It's hard to beat The Glue by Cytomic for a great compressor. The Glue | Cytomic

Reverb, try Valhalla Vintage Verb. You can't go wrong. Don't let the low price fool you. https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/...-vintage-verb/

I'm also a big fan of all of the FabFiler plugins. FabFilter - Quality Audio Plug-Ins for Mixing, Mastering and Recording - VST VST3 AU AAX RTAS AudioSuite
Thanks so much. The Glue was reccomended very highly by someone I trust. Looking forward to trying it out. I will check out the Valhalla and fabfilter aswell. Mc
Old 18th July 2016
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Me_Likey's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
The last plugin a newbie should use is '"the glue". You don't want to rely on those nasty sounding tape plugins. You want to get sounds naturally from the source and not mask them with plugins. Especially as some one starting out. It's like telling a beginning drummer to go out and buy beat detective not a metronome or for a singer to just buy "autotune" instead of taking ear training. Tape and fasto plugins are crap. They will make your mixes sound cheap. They should be avoided all together.
The Glue is a compressor, not a tape emulation. It's based on an SSL Buss compressor. It's actually an excellent plugin, and sounds great on a number of sources. It would be an excellent choice for a newbie.
Old 18th July 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
2-buss compress (SSL style) - The Glue
Single channel comp - Klanghelm MJUC
EQ, 2nd compressor - DDMF TheStrip
Verb - Valhalla VintageVerb
Tape emulation - TB_Reelbus
Console emulation - Sonimus Britson
Deesser, dynamic EQ - TDR Nova
2nd EQ - TDR Slick EQ
Clean bus compressor - TDR Kotelnikov
Saturation - Klanghelm SDRR

All are cost-effective and sound superb. The TDR plugs offer a very functional free version and are must-haves. Anything by DDMF is good, as is anything by Valhalla or Klanghelm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
Just started working with Cubase after being out of the box for the last 25 years. What are a few must have first time plugs for a newb. Looking for two buss comp, verb, single channel comp and any other suggestions. thanks! mc
Old 18th July 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
The last plugin a newbie should use is '"the glue". You don't want to rely on those nasty sounding tape plugins. You want to get sounds naturally from the source and not mask them with plugins. Especially as some one starting out. It's like telling a beginning drummer to go out and buy beat detective not a metronome or for a singer to just buy "autotune" instead of taking ear training. Tape and fasto plugins are crap. They will make your mixes sound cheap. They should be avoided all together.
OP said he's been out of the box for 25 yrs. I don't think he was delivered in one 25 yrs ago

Anyway, I've done most of my work OTB, and the plugs that have worked for me are Acustica Pink strip, MJUC, Boz +10db, Kotelnikov, Soundtoys bundle, Nomad Factory Pulsetec (I guess that's the name.. It's a bit goofy but when it works it's magical!) and Slate VCC. They all keep me smiling
Old 18th July 2016
  #8
Gear Addict
 

All easy to use, good sounding and relatively cheap:

U-he Presswerk
Aom Tranquilizr
Sonimus Burnley 73
Klanghelm sdrr
Klanghelm mjuc/dc8c2
Hofa dynamic tilt (Free, but the best tilt eq)
Sleepy Time Mono Channel (Free. First insert for gain staging and broad eq)
Toneboosters Reelbus
Tdr Slick eq
Valhalla reverbs


You could use the sleepy time mono channel, hofa dynamic tilt, slick eq and klanghelm demos and make great music without having to buy a lot of plugins.
Old 18th July 2016
  #9
Gear Addict
 

But if you're used to analog hardware I would skip most algo plugins and buy acustica audio acqua plugins.

Good start there would be:

Ochre (Free)
2412 (comp)
Purple P1 (pultec)
Scarlet 3 (homebrew sontec)
Amethyst (amek)
Old 18th July 2016
  #10
If this thread goes on a but it will probably end up with just about every plugin on the planet

It maybe easier just to go here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/articles/394/
Old 18th July 2016
  #11
Gear Nut
 
Rapollo's Avatar
I'll take a simpler approach and suggest to go try out the Slate Everything bundle - just to get your footing on ITB. It has a variety of EQs, comps, console and tape emulation, buss compressors and the Relab LX480 verb which is fantastic. The bus comps (FG-Grey and FG-Red) I use 90% of the time!

Oh and the FabFilter Pro-Q 2 is pretty much the best EQ out there for in the box.
Old 18th July 2016
  #12
Gear Head
How about you stick with the Cubase stock plugins first, they can't be that terrible?
Old 18th July 2016
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornyhornyhorny View Post
How about you stick with the Cubase stock plugins first, they can't be that terrible?
+1

For bread and butter duties, there's no need to go beyond Steinberg's stock plugs.
Old 18th July 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornyhornyhorny View Post
How about you stick with the Cubase stock plugins first, they can't be that terrible?
They are great, in fact. That is why I mentioned Cubase to see if there are others that would be good to have in addition to. Thanks for all of the suggestions!
Old 18th July 2016
  #15
Cubase had enough solid plugins that you really don't NEED anything. Your music won't suffer for it.

That said... I'd be very upset if I didn't have the SPL transient designer and Waves API bundle on my computer.

+1 on the Valhalla verb.
Old 18th July 2016
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Use Cubase plugins. If you feel the urge for something 'new' and different, buy Metric Halo channel strip.
Old 18th July 2016
  #17
Totally agree to go with the Cubase plugins.

If you want something else, I'd say go with free plugins. Variety of Sound stuff is free and pretty darned good too. Lots of different stuff too (reverb, EQ, compression, etc).
Old 18th July 2016
  #18
Gear Addict
Seconded on the Slate Everything bundle, if only for VBC and VTM. I'm perfectly happy using the stock Cubase plugins for almost anything, but I really miss those two on the master buss when I try to not use them.
Old 18th July 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom View Post
Use Cubase plugins. If you feel the urge for something 'new' and different, buy Metric Halo channel strip.
I agree with Cubase plugs, but MH Strip for something different, how did you mean that?

When I tested MH channel strip version after its VST port for PC, frankly I was quite disappointed after all the hype and quotes by "famous" users.
Not by it's sound itself, but by the fact, it really doesn't bring anything extra than most built-in EQs or dynamics in current DAWs. Which sometimes also beats this strip by features and sound IMO.. (eg. EQs with decramped curves, optional oversampling etc.), these things are really more technical details, but primarily there wasn't really any wow factor or something which I can't do with stock DAW.

So besides having everything at one place, which is matter of favorite personal workflow preference.. there is significant overlap what most people already have at their DAW, that it really doesn't make any sense to get it.. maybe same channels strip experience across multiple DAWs.

Michal
Old 18th July 2016
  #20
Lives for gear
 
GJ999x's Avatar
Don't underestimate working with what you have first, there'll be a consensus 'best Cubase plugins' thread somewhere.

Modern Daws are deep and amazing. After that u may want to look at packages, e.g. fab filter for vanilla stuff, soundtoys for fx. Demoing is easy and fun.

Not disagreeing with any of the suggestions above though, I've used glue and valhalla daily for years. They are cheap and they rock. Also check out klanghelm for cheap goodies.
Old 18th July 2016
  #21
Lives for gear
 

A bunch of folks have mentioned the excellent plugs already in Cubase so I have edited the OP to reflect that. Thanks all! mc
Old 18th July 2016
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
keepitsimple's Avatar
 

Bus Comp: The Glue.

Reverb: Valhalla Vintage Verb.

EQ: Pro Q although most DAW eqs nowadays can do the job.

Limiter: Pro L.
Old 18th July 2016
  #23
Anything made by D16
Old 18th July 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
But if you're used to analog hardware I would skip most algo plugins and buy acustica audio acqua plugins.

Good start there would be:

Ochre (Free)
2412 (comp)
Purple P1 (pultec)
Scarlet 3 (homebrew sontec)
Amethyst (amek)
Gotta +1 this. Some of us find most algos pretty 2d compared to hw. After 25 years of hw you mivht be in for a software shock! (I'd add Navy to the above list btw). You're just on time for these Acquas as they finally cracked it this summer.

Of the algos I'd suggest anything Sonimus, Valhalla reverbs, klanghelms Mjuc, Overtone dsp stuff, some house of Kush stuff.
Old 18th July 2016
  #25
Gear Guru
 

another vote for Soundtoys
as many are saying the 'included' plugs in your DAW will give you compressors, eqs, reverbs, gates. All the meat-and-potatoes stuff you need, you probably already have.

There are many great third party compressors, eqs and reverbs etc as well, but you could also hold off on those, get to know what your included stuff is good at and take your time demoing things. As thedberg said, it won't be long before every plug made will be on someone's "must have" list.

The Soundtoys plugs are great for 'effects' - they are 'out there' and at the same time 'essential'. They will scratch some itches you did not even know you had.
Old 18th July 2016
  #26
Lives for gear
+1 for the HOFA Tilt EQ, which I forgot to mention.

I haven't tried Presswerk or Tranquilzr, but I know the others are all excellent choices as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deff J View Post
All easy to use, good sounding and relatively cheap:

U-he Presswerk
Aom Tranquilizr
Sonimus Burnley 73
Klanghelm sdrr
Klanghelm mjuc/dc8c2
Hofa dynamic tilt (Free, but the best tilt eq)
Sleepy Time Mono Channel (Free. First insert for gain staging and broad eq)
Toneboosters Reelbus
Tdr Slick eq
Valhalla reverbs


You could use the sleepy time mono channel, hofa dynamic tilt, slick eq and klanghelm demos and make great music without having to buy a lot of plugins.
Old 18th July 2016
  #27
Lives for gear
There are some recommending you use the built-in Cubase plugins. And to some extent,that's good advice. But IMO there are so many excellent and inexpensive (or free) options available that it isn't necessary to limit yourself to the built-in plugins.

Your ITB experience will be more rewarding if you start with some of the better plugins available, and that's especially true because it's cost-effective to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
Just started working with Cubase after being out of the box for the last 25 years. What are a few must have first time plugs for a newb that would compliment the plugs that are already in Cubase? Looking for two buss comp, verb, single channel comp and any other suggestions. thanks! mc
Old 18th July 2016
  #28
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
I agree with Cubase plugs, but MH Strip for something different, how did you mean that?

When I tested MH channel strip version after its VST port for PC, frankly I was quite disappointed after all the hype and quotes by "famous" users.
Not by it's sound itself, but by the fact, it really doesn't bring anything extra than most built-in EQs or dynamics in current DAWs. Which sometimes also beats this strip by features and sound IMO.. (eg. EQs with decramped curves, optional oversampling etc.), these things are really more technical details, but primarily there wasn't really any wow factor or something which I can't do with stock DAW.

So besides having everything at one place, which is matter of favorite personal workflow preference.. there is significant overlap what most people already have at their DAW, that it really doesn't make any sense to get it.. maybe same channels strip experience across multiple DAWs.

Michal
As you say, it's a workflow thing. I use MH CS on drums all the time (really good for that purpose). He already got what he need in Cubase, but if he "feel the urge", why not buy MH CS. With the massive amount of plugins that's included with Cubase, most new plugins will have some overlap.
Old 18th July 2016
  #29
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
The last plugin a newbie should use is '"the glue". You don't want to rely on those nasty sounding tape plugins. You want to get sounds naturally from the source and not mask them with plugins. Especially as some one starting out. It's like telling a beginning drummer to go out and buy beat detective not a metronome or for a singer to just buy "autotune" instead of taking ear training. Tape and fasto plugins are crap. They will make your mixes sound cheap. They should be avoided all together.
This is great advice.

If I were first starting out... honestly I'd go with stock tools only. Literally.

If that answer isn't sexy enough... grab Tonebooster plugins. Great great tools at a great price.

The question for a beginner isn't what to use..... it's "how do I use stuff? What does a compressor do? What is my goal when EQing? How do I start to make things sound good?".

At this stage... your most important plugin is a VU meter. Set it to -14 or -18 and don't let ANYTHING go over 0 VU, no matter what. Then and EQ to SUBTRACTS away competing noises. Once you get a good mix like that... slap on a limiter to get your loudness.
Old 18th July 2016
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom View Post
As you say, it's a workflow thing. I use MH CS on drums all the time (really good for that purpose). He already got what he need in Cubase, but if he "feel the urge", why not buy MH CS. With the massive amount of plugins that's included with Cubase, most new plugins will have some overlap.
I see, that makes sense. I have similar attachment to SSL Duende channel, but most probably due to previous experience with both HW/SW versions by that vendor. It also clean as whistle and doesn't implicitly emulate distortions or so. But I'm quick with that and its specific interacting non-full range EQ bands (great for control surfaces) and limited Q choices, plus characteristic punchy dynamics and gate.
However I'm using primarily Reaper and Samplitude, which doesn't have anything close to that with both sound and workflow, so I take it as complementary thing.
Compared to SSL, MH CS was just "generic" for lack of better word, fully sweepable bands with very standard curves, compression without any particular flavor. That's why I was rather curious about your recommendation.

But in recent Cubase/Nuendo when I saw it, I was very surprised by its built-in mix EQ, dynamics a tape simulation. Those plugins are totally integrated into mix window, with several characters (eg. clean or vintage compression), many optional filter curves, all de-cramped up to Nyquist frequency.
So in this case, I'd say, those will be my primary choices, especially due to tight integration with mix window, there you can do everything from gain staging through, gating, EQ, compression.. and sidechain without opening of any floating window.. Of course if you need, you can open detailed EQ curve editor instead of knobs. All that would be worthless, if it won't sound good, but to me, it was perfect. So with this DAW, there's IMO even less reasons to get 3rd party channel strip, unless it emulates something really different.. say Tube Tech or Summit valve strips by Softube.

Each workflow can be different of course

Michal
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump