The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Must have plug ins for newbie Equalizer Plugins
Old 18th July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
The question for a beginner isn't what to use..... it's "how do I use stuff? What does a compressor do? What is my goal when EQing? How do I start to make things sound good?".
except that if you actually read the OP, he has been working OTB for 25 years.

I bet he knows what a compressor does after 25 years of using the hardware versions.
Old 18th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
except that if you actually read the OP, he has been working OTB for 25 years.

I bet he knows what a compressor does after 25 years of using the hardware versions.
Yea, a couple people have missed that but I am sure they mean well. Either way it's ok. My Trakker and 1176 will have to be pried from my cold, dead, hands...
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Likey View Post
The Glue is a compressor, not a tape emulation. It's based on an SSL Buss compressor. It's actually an excellent plugin, and sounds great on a number of sources. It would be an excellent choice for a newbie.
Then why would he need to buy "the glue"? his DAW has built in compressors all for free.
Now it makes even less sense than a tape plugin. I guess I was deceived by the title "the glue"
for me compressor is to tame poor dynamics synonymous with sloppy musicianship, it's not glue or anything else.
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

search KVR vst developer contest for a few results.
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
Then why would he need to buy "the glue"? his DAW has built in compressors all for free.
Now it makes even less sense than a tape plugin. I guess I was deceived by the title "the glue"
for me compressor is to tame poor dynamics synonymous with sloppy musicianship, it's not glue or anything else.
agree, only sloppy musicians use compressors
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Have you ever heard an ssl type comp across the mix bus? Then you would know what is meant by glue. I play with some of the best musicians around and use lots of compressors on individual tracks, stereo tracks, vocals, drums, guitars, while tracking and mixing, often times both. None of them are sloppy at all but the compressors are used for color, tightening of dynamics, creating a cohesive (glue) mix, etc. If you have ever listened to any popular music released over the last 40 years then you have heard compression used as glue(not to fix sloppy playing), the more recent, then the more compression. If it is not for you, that's fine but I am unsure exactly what you are trying to contribute in this thread.
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Addict

Cool to see Presswerk get some love. That's a neat one, variable topologies, clean/dirty, etc. It's a lot of fun. I just used it quite a bit (and amusingly enough, MH ChannelStrip too) on my last little project.

I'm guessing there's a pretty good experience level at play here, so...for stuff above/beyond what's in the Cubase box, mebbe check into the DMG Audio stuff. Compassion can do scads of neat stuff, and i really really like Equilibrium's analog phase mode.
Maybe Pro Audio DSP's DSM?
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
You are a classic of "I don't know what I'm talking about but I'll give advice anyway."
Old 19th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornyhornyhorny View Post
How about you stick with the Cubase stock plugins first, they can't be that terrible?
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Don't worry about plugins now, cos if you do you're relying on them and you should never do that.

Use the Cubase stock plugins, learn how the basics of EQ and compression work, train your ears the best you can, practice and when you feel you understand the basics move on, then think about plugins.

Bread and butter first. Then, maybe, some jam.
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCarloB View Post
+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Don't worry about plugins now, cos if you do you're relying on them and you should never do that.

Use the Cubase stock plugins, learn how the basics of EQ and compression work, train your ears the best you can, practice and when you feel you understand the basics move on, then think about plugins.

Bread and butter first. Then, maybe, some jam.
Maybe I need to edit the op. As others have pointed out, I mentioned that I have been recording for 25 years. I think I almost have those basics down but thanks for your input!
Old 19th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
Maybe I need to edit the op. As others have pointed out, I mentioned that I have been recording for 25 years. I think I almost have those basics down but thanks for your input!
My bad, sorry!
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCarloB View Post
My bad, sorry!
all good! I love the internet!
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Addict
For reverbs I'll add East West's Q. L. Spaces to Valhalla Vintage Verb. Both are superb products.
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
The last plugin a newbie should use is '"the glue". You don't want to rely on those nasty sounding tape plugins. You want to get sounds naturally from the source and not mask them with plugins. Especially as some one starting out. It's like telling a beginning drummer to go out and buy beat detective not a metronome or for a singer to just buy "autotune" instead of taking ear training. Tape and fasto plugins are crap. They will make your mixes sound cheap. They should be avoided all together.

So, are you against plugins in general? Not asking you to justify your position. I'm just trying to learn.
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael cleary View Post
Just started working with Cubase after being out of the box for the last 25 years. What are a few must have first time plugs for an experienced engineer that is new to software that would compliment the plugs that are already in Cubase? Looking for two buss comp, verb, single channel comp and any other suggestions. thanks! mc
buy a uad card and your good too go you get a load of essential plugins too start with and they always send you vouchers and the ocassional freebie..i got halios eq for free which is really good and i bought the moog filter a few weeks ago for £35
but i love the la2a and the pultec most they sound amazing.
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

ohh and what version of cubase are you using?if your not on 8.5 upgrade mate the plugins that come with the pro version are better than most 3rd party plugins out there in my opinion
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1012 View Post
So, are you against plugins in general? Not asking you to justify your position. I'm just trying to learn.
no not at all, but I just don't think if someone already has compressor and eq plugins built into the daw, that they should waste there money on other brands of the same plugins.

I love all the bitmaps and the animated controls on the "expensive" plugins. But do they sound any better than stock plugs? no they don't. But in general I don't use plugins all that much. I don't think they are worth paying extra for, when they are free in the DAW. I think they only plugs that lack in a stock DAW are reverbs.
Old 20th July 2016
Gear Addict

As this seems to be turning into stock plugs vs expensive plugs, I'd like to point out that there are some extremely well regarded free 3rd party compressors, like the TDR Kotelnikov compressor and the free version of the Klanghelm MJUC. They scored 1st and 3rd in the gearslutz best compressor vote (paid for version of the Klanghelm).

I also think the stock algorithmic reverb in Cubase is brilliant.
Old 20th July 2016
As I predicted early in this thread, almost every plugin on the market has now been recommended

The OP seems very well acquainted with the audio field and can probably make good use of top notch stuff. So the Top Ten list here on GS is still valid place to start. It also happens to contain stuff in all price brackets so you can choose which cost level to start at.

Have fun!
Old 11th September 2016
Gear Addict
Let me get this right?

Quote:
Studio's and DAW's are not real world anyway, so why not enjoy the best you can?
I get great kicks out of the different sounds.
as for sloppy musicianship, I have no idea what you mean.

What's that "Punch In" for again???
Old 11th September 2016
Here for the gear
I like the "Vintage compressor" in Cubase/Nuendo. That with +2dB Hi-shelf at 3k and a bit of verb is my fave drum sound from Superior (Metal Foundry default kit)

https://soundcloud.com/postalpro/tappering

(p.s: I didn't say it was good, just that it was my favourite :P)
Old 11th September 2016
Lives for gear

I did get a chance to try the Glue. Loved it and find it the perfect compliment so far to the built in plugs. Thanks for that recommendation! mc
Old 11th September 2016
Gear Addict

Yup. Happy "The Glue" user here.
Get the free Tokyo Dawn Labs plugins too, but i guess they have been suggested already.

I still haven't found a 100% convincing tape simulation. Can't say i have tested them all though....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search