The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid I/O Soft Clip and Curv on Avid HD I/O 16 x 16 - when do they kick in?
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Avid HD I/O 16 x 16 Soft Clip and Curv - when do they kick in?

Hi there,

I've checked the Avid manual and am confused about the Soft Clip and Curv functions.

Is the 4db 'headroom' that is Soft Clip is supposed to allow and extra 4dB above 0dBFS?! OR is any audio that goes over, say, -4dBFS on input automatically affected with some limiting and saturation?

Does anyone know at what level this 'feature' kicks in on the latest Avid HD I/O 16 x 16 Analogue, and how Curv affects this?

From my guess, the soft clip only happens over 0dBFS, but I have no idea when the Curv analog limiter's soft-knee kicks in.

Anybody know?

Cheers,

Ed

P.S. Was supposed to go in the PT forum, sorry about that.

Last edited by The Beatsmith; 16th July 2016 at 04:46 AM..
Old 16th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Hi there,

I've checked the Avid manual and am confused about the Soft Clip and Curv functions.

Is the 4db 'headroom' that is Soft Clip is supposed to allow and extra 4dB above 0dBFS?! OR is any audio that goes over, say, -4dBFS on input automatically affected with some limiting and saturation?

Does anyone know at what level this 'feature' kicks in on the latest Avid HD I/O 16 x 16 Analogue, and how Curv affects this?

From my guess, the soft clip only happens over 0dBFS, but I have no idea when the Curv analog limiter's soft-knee kicks in.

Anybody know?

Cheers,

Ed

P.S. Was supposed to go in the PT forum, sorry about that.
I don't like curv because it kicks in too early. I always have soft clip enabled these days. If you get too loud you can hear the distortion but its not that bad. Better than straight clipping.
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Hi,

Yes, I know that it kicks in too early. I recently went to a studio recorded a bunch of tracks. I'm pretty sure that they left curv on by accident, and I want to know what point it kicks in so that I know how messed up my audio is.

Cheers!

Ed

Last edited by The Beatsmith; 16th July 2016 at 09:01 PM..
Old 16th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Hi,

Yes, I know that it kicks in too early. I recently went to a studio recorded a bunch of tracks. I'm pretty sure that they left curv on by accident, and I want to know what point it kicks in so that I know how messed up my audio is.
Maybe a few db before 0. You can definitely hear it. Just use your ears. Takes might sound a little squashed in louder sections, but in the context of a mix might sound not nearly as bad.
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Yes, I can hear it, just looking for an exact figure as to when it kicks in, as the tracks are already recorded - cheers.

Ed

Last edited by The Beatsmith; 16th July 2016 at 09:01 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search