The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Power went out during HD partitioning...
Old 15th July 2016
Power went out during HD partitioning...

2009 PC, win xp.

1TB internal SATA drive- was in the middle of partitioning and the power cut out. Now the disk is saying it has a partition on it that is only 128 gigs. Bios sees the drive as 1TB but I can't do anything to it from there. Windows doesn't even see it in disk management. Various freeware MBR fixers/disk fixers see the drive (the only way I know the size of the partition) but always get errors trying to read, scan, or fix it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Is it the OS disc or a secondary?
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedmitten View Post
Is it the OS disc or a secondary?
Secondary.
Old 15th July 2016
Most of my DAW PC's are Win XP, I recall not being able to see the entire HDD, even WITHOUT a power failure involved. As I remember reading XP sometimes has a problem with seeing larger drives, but I know XP can see a TB HDD, as mine have the same size HDD in XP. I just can't recall right now how I got it to recognize it all.

Do you have service pack 2 or 3? Mine are on service pack 2, due to some issue that 3 didn't want to play along with a hardware component...sound card driver I think. Service pack 2 works to see mine, so that ma be worth a try if you don't have service pack 2?

I don't know if this will help or not, but what do you have that HDD set to? Master? Slave? Other? Since you had an issue, I'd personally try reformatting that HDD all over again, just because. Do you have an image program like Acronis? It comes with a disk drive management app as well, which has helped me on occasion. I'm sure you looked into Windows Disk management, and played around with some parameters in there already? There are settings in there that can activate partitions etc...I'm not at my XP machines now, I'm on my Win 10 internet notebook.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Open cmd and type disk part. Type list disk. Does it show?

Last edited by mashedmitten; 15th July 2016 at 07:00 PM..
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
Open cmd and type disk part. Type list disk. Does it show?
I tried it and when I type "disk part" (no quotes) and hit enter it says "disk" is not a recognized command. Do I need to type something else too? Sorry it has been years since I've used the command prompt...
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
Most of my DAW PC's are Win XP, I recall not being able to see the entire HDD, even WITHOUT a power failure involved. As I remember reading XP sometimes has a problem with seeing larger drives, but I know XP can see a TB HDD, as mine have the same size HDD in XP. I just can't recall right now how I got it to recognize it all.

Do you have service pack 2 or 3? Mine are on service pack 2, due to some issue that 3 didn't want to play along with a hardware component...sound card driver I think. Service pack 2 works to see mine, so that ma be worth a try if you don't have service pack 2?

I don't know if this will help or not, but what do you have that HDD set to? Master? Slave? Other? Since you had an issue, I'd personally try reformatting that HDD all over again, just because. Do you have an image program like Acronis? It comes with a disk drive management app as well, which has helped me on occasion. I'm sure you looked into Windows Disk management, and played around with some parameters in there already? There are settings in there that can activate partitions etc...I'm not at my XP machines now, I'm on my Win 10 internet notebook.
It's not a size issue, other similar drives work fine in this pc.
SATA drives don't do master and slave do they?
Windows Disk management does nothing as stated in OP.
The drive itself was either corrupted or damaged by the power going off so I am looking for a (hopefully freeware) tool that can "undo" the damage...
I will check out acronis. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus View Post
I tried it and when I type "disk part" (no quotes) and hit enter it says "disk" is not a recognized command. Do I need to type something else too? Sorry it has been years since I've used the command prompt...
Sorry, no space between any of the commands. You can type help in cmd to see the available options.

That's what happens when jamming to Zeppelin while posting.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

XP does not support TRIM.

SSD drives were supported with TRIM, starting with win7.

Time to upgrade if you want to explore SSD drives.
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post

It's not an SSD.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

*blush* I gotsta slow down.

Sorry. Can you see it in the bios?
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

oops...again I see you can see it.

Have you tried to format. (boot to xp cd?)
Old 15th July 2016
Quote:
oops...again I see you can see it.

Have you tried to format. (boot to xp cd?)
Tried and it froze. Gonna try again after this 3rd party thing gets done scanning the drive, in 15 hours...
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry, no space between any of the commands. You can type help in cmd to see the available options.

That's what happens when jamming to Zeppelin while posting.
diskpart

listdisk

selectdisk(x) x= disk #

format

Forget the 3rd party crap.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Maniac
Just reformat it and then partition the same as before.

No need to scan if you're reformatting.
Old 16th July 2016
It won't format.
It won't partition.
It won't delete the existing partition.
It won't wipe.
The only thing I can get going is a 20-hour scan which I don't have time for, at least in the midst of this project. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll try more stuff when I get some time.
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Using for several years xp and ssd and XP can pass thru trim command going as far back to first generation sata . You only need a tool to run trim that tool is provided by manufacturer . Got only Intel XM-25 ssd that work good with intel toolbox for xp and have tested trim on i875 chipset P4 Prescott .

When i have trouble with hd/ssd i use linux distro , that can do more than windows
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search