The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Working a midi pal into a MOTU MTP AV / Complex Midi
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Question Working a midi pal into a MOTU MTP AV / Complex Midi

Hi everyone,

I was hoping for some advise.. I have a mutable instruments MIDI Pal.

MIDIpal | Mutable Instruments

in a previous less complicated (but still fairly robust) situation I had it setup to be on the out come from the midi controller.. but this was problematic..

yes it would work with chord mode, but i was having trouble getting the device to listen to ext clock for the arp and step sequencer (especially important) because in general it seems like midi controllers will pass on a midi clock through a thru port.. but the midi out of a controller isn't relating the midi clock.. it will listen to the midi clock itself (I'm using an Akai MPK25) because it has an arpeggiator.. but i'm thinking in general.. any midi controller will not relate the clock through the out because OUT is from the controller.. not the DAW.

Soo... my thoughts turned to the idea of wiring up the IN / OUT of the device into one of my networked MIDI Timepieces AV... i figure.. ok if I could devote a dedicated MIDI IN / OUT from that.. this could work...

but then i'm starting to question that because if i were to say route the controller to send midi notices to that specific device.. and notes come out of it going back to the whole system.. how do I route that device to then talk to a specific device..

Also to help show some other available hardware.. I also own a MIDI Solution 1 in 4 out... and a 4 in 1 out.. I wondered if there might be some way to do that too.. but my prior attempt lead to some nasty midi feedback so while I'm not saying I tried every combination.. I did make a first pass without success and ended up moving on to other issues to deal with.

I'm going to do experimenting, but I just feel like I already know the problems I'm going to face and figured I'd ask around here to see if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks!
Caleb
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Guru

you can access the MOTU Midi software via the Apple Audio Midi Setup-

If you bring up the MIDI window, your Motu MTP's should be shown there- you can then click on the graphic and have the MOTU interface panel will open up-

you can then filter using the onboard filters.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Ok just to share more details. I'm using FreeMIDI 1.48 with Digital Performer 3. BUT that said I think it's pretty robust software still and will let me open up / add custom devices.

Now with that said you mentioned "Onboard Filters" what does that mean. What would you be suggesting I filter that way.

I know that FreeMIDI has various properties you can add to a device "receives clock, transmits clock, controller" for example.

I just worry (and maybe for nothing) that if I tell DP3.. I want to send a musical phrase from my controller keyboard to the MIDI Pal.. how will I route the MIDI pal's output (which is not a "sound" but simply more midi notation) to yet another specific instrument to then listen to the MIDI Pal over the straight incoming note from the controller..

I will say one possible option might be that I actually could possibly (unless FreeMIDI overrides it) to manually configure the MTP AV (which has internal memory and manual controls to route thing) to simply "hardwire" the midi output from it to go to specific outs on other ports..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search