The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Inconsistencies between CLA Audio Legends master faders from DAW to DAW
Old 14th July 2016
Here for the gear

Inconsistencies between CLA Audio Legends master faders from DAW to DAW

Hey everyone,

I've been bouncing e-mails back and forth between the slate digital support team, but can't even seem to get a straight answer from them on this matter.

Has anyone else noticed inconsistencies between DAWs on the master fader peak values? I am noticing that the pro tools master fader for the session is set to -3.1 and registering the loudest peak at -0.1. Meanwhile, the cubase master fader is set to -1.84 and registering a peak value of -1.9.

Link to an image of both master faders from the unaltered sessions (Since it won't let me post a pic here):
http://www.eardrumvalley.com/CLAFaders.png

The support team keeps writing me back and saying "The master faders in the DAW have been calibrated to mimic CLA's mix settings." Which is fine and all, but I'm confused as to why I get different peak values in different DAWs if they're all level matched to be the same.....

Anyone else experience this? Or has anyone else got a straight answer as to why this is the fact.

I am a HUGE slate digital fan and love their products to death. I just want a straight answer as to why this inconsistency exists and if there's a reason for it (or if it will be fixed in a future update if it's a mistake).

Thanks!
Old 15th July 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hi thanks for the question. Matching a very complex mix between several DAW's that include real human automation is very difficult, and this is especially true when DAW's have different features. For instance, Pro Tools has master fader inserts POST fader. Logic has a different level range than other DAWs. The list of discrepancies goes on..

So what we did was match the original mix into the various DAW's in a way that properly represents the CLA mix as approved by the man himself, and I think we did a very good job. It's extremely difficult to hear any differences in the bounces from each DAW. And most importantly, the techniques like EQing, Compressing, FX, balance, and automation are all there to learn from.

Thanks very much for the comment, and I hope that I've answered it to your liking.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 15th July 2016
Here for the gear

Awesome. That's great Steven. I was just hoping to get a straight answer on whether this was deliberate or not.

While switching between the pro tools and the cubase bounce, I've noticed that one bounce is louder than the other.
However, I've also noticed that the buss compressor and fg-x are both set to the same amount of GR in both session.

I was only really confused about the different amounts of headroom between both master faders and why one bounce actually exports louder than the other.

If CLA himself and your team have signed off on it, then that answer is more than adequate.
I'm really just trying to understand how to apply master fader settings to my own mixes. Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search