The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSD wipeout has me looking at hybrids
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Nut

SSD wipeout has me looking at hybrids

Yesterday we had an electrical storm. My Dell Precision is on a UPS with line suppression, and a lightning strike 2.8 miles away (according to weather app on iPad) wiped my SSD.

This is the 3rd time it's become unbootable. After the last rebuild, I have a backup image which will suffice... it's only about a month old and I don't use the OS drive for any data.

Has anyone else lost their SSD? Surely I can't be the only one.

I'm considering a hybrid drive with about 9G of flash. Anyone use those, and if so, what do you think?
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDucky View Post
Yesterday we had an electrical storm. My Dell Precision is on a UPS with line suppression, and a lightning strike 2.8 miles away (according to weather app on iPad) wiped my SSD.

This is the 3rd time it's become unbootable. After the last rebuild, I have a backup image which will suffice... it's only about a month old and I don't use the OS drive for any data.

Has anyone else lost their SSD? Surely I can't be the only one.

I'm considering a hybrid drive with about 9G of flash. Anyone use those, and if so, what do you think?
If I had a new drive, SSD or otherwise that becomes unusable repeatedly very early in its life span, it would be going back to the manufacturer. Sometimes bad drives just leave the factory. I'm not sure that it's anything more than a coincidence about the electrical storm..if you suffered damage or a surge to your line I have to assume that at least your power supply if not your whole computer would be done.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

I have used only SSDs for the past 5 years. I have yet to have any failure. All HD were bought from very high quality brands.

my wifes laptop that has traditional rotators has gone thru 2 hard drives in the mean time. My recommendation to you is to get a different brand HD unit and get a better surge protection?
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Get something like a Crucial MX200 and only keep the OS and installed programs on it, then keep projects etc on an HDD something like a WD Velociraptor or up the fault tolerance and get two in raid 0 array just in case. Then... remember to backup regularly.
Old 14th July 2016
I've had less failures with SSD than SATA, but - as long as everything is backed-up (and tested periodically for proper restore), you're safe. So, I would stay with the medium that offers better performance. I only have experience with Intel and Samsung SSD, FWIW.
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Nut
Hmm... With all due respect, I would consider the lighting event assertion 'suspect'. I guess anything is possible, but every lighting strike damaged amp or computer I have ever seen was severely damaged. Blown up and melted parts galore. Losing just a SSD as a result of a lighting strike is highly unlikely.

Like others have said, I have a Mac Pro that i've been running for many, many years with all SSD disks internally. 4 to be exact. I have never lost any one of these drives.

Are you using high quality SSD's like Crucial or Samsung EVO or EVO PRO? If you're using bargain basement SSD's, you may already have your answer to poor life performance.

If you are using a high quality SSD, then I would be looking at my computer for potential problems.

Sorry to hear about your SSD loss, though...
Old 14th July 2016
As an electrician for a living, I've seen my fair share of damage caused by lightning, in the Sierra Foothills of California. I'm no expert on the subject of lighting, or how it can damage only an SSD and not fry anything else (maybe some kind of in direct-thru-air energy is being generated?).... but if you suspect lighting may be even a potential continuing issue, have a lighting rod put in your home maybe, and a whole house surge suppressor....as well as plug in surge protectors, you know, those 6-outlet strips etc where your equipment is.

I always make it a habit of unplugging ALL my music stuff...as well as my big screen TV's during storms.

Regarding data loss, and I can't stress this enough.... to use something like Acronis, to make back up images of your drives. Making images has saved me many times over the years. If you're not backing up, you're gonna' loose your data at some point. Installs can always be re-installed...with some time & effort, but just remember your song creations cannot!

Other back up procedures works too...for example, after every session in my personal home studio, I use a USB thumb drive, and copy/paste the entire song folder of any song I've just worked on. This way, all the work I've done for those hours is saved. All my songs are backed up the a large USB external hard drive, which is never powered up/connected unless I'm either putting something on, or taking something off of it.

Repeat ... BACK UP YOUR~STUFF from now on.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Nut

Thanks for everyone's responses.

I have spent the obligitory 2 hours with Dell support and now they're going to escalate it to a "higher" group.

None of my audio data is on this drive, it's just for OS and apps.

The drive, BTW, is a Samsung SM951. It's on a PCIe card. I am not that familiar with this technology... I kind of lost track of it when I retired which was in the early dual core days.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
As an electrician for a living, I've seen my fair share of damage caused by lightning, in the Sierra Foothills of California. I'm no expert on the subject of lighting, or how it can damage only an SSD and not fry anything else (maybe some kind of in direct-thru-air energy is being generated?)....

I have, multi-rail design and insufficent overvolt protection on the 12v going to the sata connectors, I've seen a number of fused drives this way over the years.

It's exactly the reason I always stress to spend a decent amount on the PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
but if you suspect lighting may be even a potential continuing issue, have a lighting rod put in your home maybe, and a whole house surge suppressor....as well as plug in surge protectors, you know, those 6-outlet strips etc where your equipment is.
Yep, absolutely. Or two birds with one brick, power conditioner UPS. That way if it overloads or under-loads, your stuff be safe.
Old 15th July 2016
Backblaze.
Best $5 I spend every month.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search