The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What interface do you use for youre ADC B2 BOMBER? Digital Converters
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Head

What interface do you use for youre ADC B2 BOMBER?

Hello gearslutz. To the b2 BOMBER adc users iam curious what interface do you use with it?
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict

B80 Mothership and the B32!
Old 15th July 2016
Symphony I/O MKI tracking (digital IN), DM Convert-2 mixing (digital OUT).

Not that I know anything about either. Should note that my B2 ADC does not have DANTE.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Guru

Mothership and Avid 16.Avid AES for B2 Bomber.
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict

BAES4 card for B2 bomber, Convert 2 for DAC
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Head

Alright guys thanks most of the gear mention ive never heard of. Well ill research it. I just want to get the best out of the b2 bomber adc and feel i cant slack on this one for example a cheap audio interface with spdif or toslink.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

B2 > Grace m905 (and also > Avid HD I/O via AES)

Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Symphony/apogee Maestro is so damn rock solid. Never had a problem, though takes a few hickups at startup. About 90 seconds.. It always works though. Using with thunderbolt.
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
B2 > Grace m905 (and also > Avid HD I/O via AES)

Adc b2 bomber through grace 905, is grace also a interface? So you can record through the grace?
Old 16th July 2016
Deleted User
rme RayDat. Not a single prosumer preamp or converter to be found on it. Every dollar spent on providing tons of i/o, driver stability, etc.
Used with my Burl, Dangerous Convert-8s, UA 2192...
Old 16th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
rme RayDat. Not a single prosumer preamp or converter to be found on it. Every dollar spent on providing tons of i/o, driver stability, etc.

Now this is was what i was waiting for!!!
Just PURE interface for my b2 bomber adc " in the future " with out the pres and converters!!! Because i want them all solo!! Great ! Hope i can score one on the internet!
Old 16th July 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by winged View Post
Now this is was what i was waiting for!!!
Just PURE interface for my b2 bomber adc " in the future " with out the pres and converters!!! Because i want them all solo!! Great ! Hope i can score one on the internet!
Glad to help! I was on the same search and had never heard of it until Fred from Sound on Sound mentioned that's what he uses with his Dangerous Convert. I don't know why they're not more popular...I guess the prosumer market is just so dominant. I want the company that's making sure their ASIO driver is compatible with changing OSs to focus on that, not making my music gear! And focus on it RME does...classic German company. Way more stable than any previous interface I've used...at the moment I'm tracking organ on it with a 32 buffer, glissandos have no fear...Take 9 here we go...i have my Burl connected to it via AES.
Old 16th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Adc b2 bomber through grace 905, is grace also a interface? So you can record through the grace?
No, on its own the m905 Digitl is a full-featured monitor controller & DAC. Combined with the B2 ADC, it becomes an AD "interface" because it has connectivity and interfaces to PT and the HD I/O 16x16 Digital through AES. So, the B2 capture can go straight to PT HD.

Through the m905, I can route the B2 ADC capture out of the m905 DAC, the HD I/O DAC's, the Tascam DA-3000 DACs or the Rosetta 200 DACs. So, multiple options are available, and all of them can be interfaced with PT HD (my DAW on Mac Pro) through AES (and the multiple digital connections on the m95) through the HD I/O 16x16 Digital.

This is a new setup for me and I'm relly looking forward to it!

Old 16th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
No, on its own the m905 Digitl is a full-featured monitor controller & DAC. Combined with the B2 ADC, it becomes an AD "interface" because it has connectivity and interfaces to PT and the HD I/O 16x16 Digital through AES. So, the B2 capture can go straight to PT HD.

Through the m905, I can route the B2 ADC capture out of the m905 DAC, the HD I/O DAC's, the Tascam DA-3000 DACs or the Rosetta 200 DACs. So, multiple options are available, and all of them can be interfaced with PT HD (my DAW on Mac Pro) through AES (and the multiple digital connections on the m95) through the HD I/O 16x16 Digital.

This is a new setup for me and I'm relly looking forward to it!

Alright thats a sweet amout of dac options! Iam looking for also a good dac ( monitor controller in the future) one that is transparent and honest. Witch of you're dacs do you think is the most honest one?
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

It's interesting, but in general, the most "honest" DAC is the one I spend the most time with and get to know, in the context of my setup/monitors/room. And, certainly, any of my DAC options will provide honest playback as long as I learn to listen for, hear and trust their sonic character with a frame of reference.

But, that said, I will be utilizing the m905 as my main (PCM) mix monitoring DAC now. In my expanded hybrid setup, the Avids provide 16 channels of tracking DA,s (and mixing plus summing to the API console), supplemented by the Apogees, Tascam, or Burl, as needed.

For up to 8 track DSD recording, the MR2000's & DA3000's will both be used. The m905 can also be used for DSD playback from my Mac, which is really cool.

I'll be experimenting some as I go and getting to know each DAC as I work with them over time. But, the Grace will be the main final sonic arbiter, so to speak!

Old 17th July 2016
Deleted User
Sound Devices USBPre2 -- it can be plugged into microphones on its own, of course, it's an interface by definition, or you can plug the RCA digital cables from a Burl ADC and into a Burl DAC.

I think it is pretty good for this job, now if I may add, I think the cables of any sort that go into the Sound Devices interface are very secure. Once everything is properly connected you can just record and playback without any worries.
Old 17th July 2016
Lives for gear

BTW, there's a section in the SOS review of the m905, that relates it's capabilities to serve as a typical audio interface through USB2, which also sets it apart from most typical monitor controllers;

"The new extra digital input, of course, is the asynchronous Class-2 USB connection. This supports stereo PCM audio up to 24-bit/192kHz, as well as DoP 1.1 DSD audio. The 'asynchronous' tag means that the DAC clocks the data out of the computer when it wants it, rather than waiting for the computer to push it out when convenient, and that provides a marked step up in USB audio quality. Additionally, the USB interface can pass up to 10 audio channels back to the computer, so the M905 can also serve as a high-quality two-down, 10-up computer interface.

The 10 computer input channels comprise the last-selected digital source plus the eight ADAT channels — enabling the use of an external eight-channel mic pre (with an ADAT output) to serve as the front end of a very high-quality and convenient recording system, for example...

An alternative USB mode configures the USB operation as a simple two-in/two-out interface, with the inputs again being the last selected digital source. This mode requires less USB bandwidth, which may be advantageous in some cases. In either mode, the USB operation is completely driverless for Mac OS X platforms, but an ASIO driver is required for all the usual Windows platforms (downloadable from the Grace Design web site, though not, at the time of writing, for Windows 8)."

Old 18th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello gearslutz. To the b2 BOMBER adc users iam curious what interface do you use with it?
Old 18th July 2016
Lives for gear
This is a good question. Until recently I'd been using by Burl B2 AD through an RME FF 800 interface. Recently swapped it out for a UAD Apollo 8 and found a very nice difference in tone - a bit smoother and less pinched. This puzzles me but I can only conclude that the clock on The UAD makes the difference.
Old 18th July 2016
Gear Maniac

I run into an AVID HD i/o with my B2 ADC for mix printing.

I also have a Steinberg MR816x used for the iTunes, etc D/A monitoring of my B2 bomber DAC. This is necessary due to the Avid core audio driver issue preventing Mac OS Yosemite from playing non Pro Tools audio through my HD i/o.
Old 18th July 2016
Engagement Manager

B80 or Aurora 16 for B2 ADC/DAC + Lavry/HEDD/DSD etc via AES
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayo View Post
This is a good question. Until recently I'd been using by Burl B2 AD through an RME FF 800 interface. Recently swapped it out for a UAD Apollo 8 and found a very nice difference in tone - a bit smoother and less pinched. This puzzles me but I can only conclude that the clock on The UAD makes the difference.
you were using the spdif input on a FF and it doesn't sound the same as apollo?
the spdif should be 100% transparent. Were you clocking off the FF?
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Head

Guys iam loving the reactions! Much appreciated! Great seeing all these differnt options!
Old 19th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracleofSherbrooke View Post
Sound Devices USBPre2 -- it can be plugged into microphones on its own, of course, it's an interface by definition, or you can plug the RCA digital cables from a Burl ADC and into a Burl DAC.

I think it is pretty good for this job, now if I may add, I think the cables of any sort that go into the Sound Devices interface are very secure. Once everything is properly connected you can just record and playback without any worries.

Looks like a sturdy box! Ill avoid the converters and pres. Dont want to go bypassing all kinds of stuff to get my signal to the daw. Might sound dumb but iam affraid all that bypassing might degrade my signal in a way. I dont know mabey iam wrong.
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
you were using the spdif input on a FF and it doesn't sound the same as apollo?
the spdif should be 100% transparent. Were you clocking off the FF?
Yes and yes....

And the same with the spdif connection to my Cranesong Avocet. Just sounds more open when passing through and being clocked by the Apollo versus the FF - and I know my sound intimately well.

Last edited by Dayo; 19th July 2016 at 08:58 AM..
Old 19th July 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Looks like a sturdy box! Ill avoid the converters and pres. Don't want to go bypassing all kinds of stuff to get my signal to the daw. Might sound dumb but i'am afraid all that bypassing might degrade my signal in a way. I don't know maybe i'am wrong.
At a certain level, a well designed, USB powered box with all of its proper connections is all you need. If you had to travel somewhere, and you wanted to travel lightly, a laptop, a pair of microphones, and the USB Pre2, and a good old guitar is all you need.

The USB Pre2 has the correct connections and those lovely dip switches -- so when you are back to normal, back home, you can connect high end converters, like the BURL ADC and DAC, with no problem.
Old 19th July 2016
Quote:
Deleted User, what's your preferred way to clock everything?
Old 19th July 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by batlanyard View Post
RubbaDub, what's your preferred way to clock everything?
Hey - when tracking/mixing/summing, Burl is my master. Sending word clock to the 2192 which distributes it to the Converts and my RayDat.

If the Burl's not being used (like recording/working with virtual instruments), then I set a Convert as master.
Old 19th July 2016
Quote:
Hey - when tracking/mixing/summing, Burl is my master. Sending word clock to the 2192 which distributes it to the Converts and my RayDat.

If the Burl's not being used (like recording/working with virtual instruments), then I set a Convert as master.
Cool, just curious what others are doing with this type of setup with the clocking. (Not to hijack the thread.)
Old 20th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Alright guys thanks most of the gear mention ive never heard of. Well ill research it. I just want to get the best out of the b2 bomber adc and feel i cant slack on this one for example a cheap audio interface with spdif or toslink.
A transparent AES/EBU interface will do the job. If you only need AES and nothing else the Yellotec PUC2 is perfect, solid and affordable.
Yellowtec: PUC2

This is a good solution not only for the B2 but of course for every converter with AES/EBU connection.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search