The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Just bought the UAD Apollo Twin USB and feel incredibly stupid
Old 12th July 2016
Here for the gear

Just bought the UAD Apollo Twin USB and feel incredibly stupid

hey all,

just realized this USB version of the card is STRICTLY for PC.

my workflow is this:
- small productions and vocals recordings on PC.
- complete and big productions on MAC.

my questions now is - isn't there anything i can do to make it work on a mac?
i mean, both USB and THUNDERBOLT versions sure look the same, just different cables (from what i've seen).

isn't there an adapter? a cable? something to make this USB version work on a mac?????

thank you
Old 12th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirgelman View Post
hey all,

just realized this USB version of the card is STRICTLY for PC.

my workflow is this:
- small productions and vocals recordings on PC.
- complete and big productions on MAC.

my questions now is - isn't there anything i can do to make it work on a mac?
i mean, both USB and THUNDERBOLT versions sure look the same, just different cables (from what i've seen).

isn't there an adapter? a cable? something to make this USB version work on a mac?????

thank you

The obvious answer is just return it and get the correct version.
Old 12th July 2016
Gear Maniac
I don't believe there is a single correct version for what he wants to do, so I don't think the answer is all that obvious. I think if you want to run on both PC and Mac with the same interface, you can't use an Apollo Twin, so you'll probably have to look into other interfaces (I personally like RME a lot).
Old 13th July 2016
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replays guys.
Talked to the store and they suppost to update me about switching the product.
The UAD is a must for me since I'm addicted to their plugins which mean a great deal for me.
While the obvious option for me is the thunderbolt version (since Cubase also works on Mac while my production daw Logic will never work on PC).... I did see some people who managed to connect the thunderbolt version to a PC.
If by any chance someone has experience with this would love their input.
Thanks !
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

No. Don't even think about it. Thunderbolt is for mac. USB is for windows.
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirgelman View Post
Thanks for the replays guys.
Talked to the store and they suppost to update me about switching the product.
The UAD is a must for me since I'm addicted to their plugins which mean a great deal for me.
While the obvious option for me is the thunderbolt version (since Cubase also works on Mac while my production daw Logic will never work on PC).... I did see some people who managed to connect the thunderbolt version to a PC.
If by any chance someone has experience with this would love their input.
Thanks !
If they tell you that they can't return it thats BS. Call UA at once and explain and they will take care of it with the store.

Last edited by mesh; 13th July 2016 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: typo!
Old 13th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh View Post
If they tell you that they can't return it thats BS. Call UA at once and explain and they will take care of it with the store.
i appreciate what you are saying. i mean, i didn't even use it for more then 3 hours before i immediately called the store and said this card only helps me 50% of my work.

i hope they won't make it tough on me and just switch the products.

thanks for the replays.
Old 13th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionid View Post
good to know... thanks for the input.
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps I'm cynical but this seems like a strategic decision to try and sell more hardware. It's certainly not in the customers interests...
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Perhaps I'm cynical but this seems like a strategic decision to try and sell more hardware. It's certainly not in the customers interests...
blame the computer manufacturers.

it's not 3rd party manufacturers' fault for different formats.
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodshonf View Post
blame the computer manufacturers.

it's not 3rd party manufacturers' fault for different formats.
But both Macs and PCs have USB. All it takes is a driver to make the unit work with both. Their PCIe cards support both Mac and PC too...
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

Get something that works with both os like rme, lynx hilo, ect. Then get a pcie quad or octo card that will work on both mac and pc. I work in logic and cubase on pc (use dtouch software for cubase which only works on pc atm) and use a hilo along with the uad pcie quad.
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

I would imagine that UAD does not like different protocols. It costs them money to provide compatibility and up to date drivers right? There is a long discussion about firewire cards to thunderbolt cards and a legion of pissed users.

Anyhow, it is what it is
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cibley View Post
The obvious answer is just return it and get the correct version.
There is no correct version that will work with both Mac and PC other than the older 8 ch fireWire version. I don't think that is being sold anymore so a used unit might be the only option with that. The only other option is to get another brand interface along with a UAD PCIe card or a FireWire Sattelite.
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would imagine that UAD does not like different protocols. It costs them money to provide compatibility and up to date drivers right? There is a long discussion about firewire cards to thunderbolt cards and a legion of pissed users.

Anyhow, it is what it is
IMO It would've made more sense to just support USB for Mac and PC. That way they could just stock and support one model instead of 2. And they could avoid Thunderbolt licensing costs and expensive cables etc. But you're right, they can do whatever they think best and I can not buy any of their stuff because of decisions like this...
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
But both Macs and PCs have USB. All it takes is a driver to make the unit work with both. Their PCIe cards support both Mac and PC too...
point taken.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

It is worth noting that there is no current production mac that has PCIe card slots. So again thunderbolt mac, usb win.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is worth noting that there is no current production mac that has PCIe card slots. So again thunderbolt mac, usb win.
I was just making the PCIe comment as an illustration that UAD have supported both platforms with one product before. All current Macs have USB. It would certainly be useful to people like the OP to use the USB version for both platforms. There are also some Mac users who would prefer USB (eg. MacBook owners, users with pre-Thunderbolt Macs, Hackintosh owners, anyone who doesn't want to spend crazy money on Thunderbolt cables etc.). Stores would probably prefer to only stock one model and not have to deal with returns like this one etc...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search