The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Setting up Focusrite 6i6 w/ Monitors and Sub
Old 12th July 2016
Here for the gear

Setting up Focusrite 6i6 w/ Monitors and Sub

Looking to set this interface up with a pair of Yamaha HS8's and the matching HS8S sub. I tried sending Analog out's 1-2 to the monitors and 3-4 to the sub (so I can on/off the sub) but it seems outs 3-4 are MUCH louder than 1-2. I find the MixControl desktop app a bit confusing. Anything I'm doing wrong/need to know? Any help would be awesome!

More info:
- Using TRS cables for both outputs 1-2 & 3-4
- Plugged into USB of MacBook pro

Thanks!
Old 12th July 2016
Lives for gear

Hi,

at 6i6, there are two volume controls, one analogue at front panel and one digital controlled by MixControl.
Output channels 1-2 are affected by both, channels 3-4 are affected only by digital one.
Digital control for particular channel is assignable at monitor section - channel there can be either muted, unity gain or assigned to digital volume knob.. depending on color of rectangle with channel number.. blue - volume controlled, red - muted, grey (shift+click) - unity gain

So to your situation, to do mult you want, there is necessary to leave front panel analogue volume wide open and don't use it. Then assign all 4 channels to digital volume control and use only software knob at MixControl.

Other way is to wire the main pair through analogue crossover in the sub, that way you'll use only channels 1-2 from your Scarlett. This will also allow you to use high pass filtering at crossover, if you'd like it. Check manual for the sub for more.

Have a fun!

Michal

Last edited by msmucr; 12th July 2016 at 09:10 AM..
Old 14th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Hi,

at 6i6, there are two volume controls, one analogue at front panel and one digital controlled by MixControl.
Output channels 1-2 are affected by both, channels 3-4 are affected only by digital one.
Digital control for particular channel is assignable at monitor section - channel there can be either muted, unity gain or assigned to digital volume knob.. depending on color of rectangle with channel number.. blue - volume controlled, red - muted, grey (shift+click) - unity gain

So to your situation, to do mult you want, there is necessary to leave front panel analogue volume wide open and don't use it. Then assign all 4 channels to digital volume control and use only software knob at MixControl.

Other way is to wire the main pair through analogue crossover in the sub, that way you'll use only channels 1-2 from your Scarlett. This will also allow you to use high pass filtering at crossover, if you'd like it. Check manual for the sub for more.

Have a fun!

Michal

Thank you! A friend told me it is industry standard to have only two "monitor outputs" which are in the 6i6's case 1+2. the other two are for non powered speakers or something. I was thinking about getting a monitor management station like the Big Knob but I will try your method.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymandudebro64 View Post
Thank you! A friend told me it is industry standard to have only two "monitor outputs" which are in the 6i6's case 1+2. the other two are for non powered speakers or something. I was thinking about getting a monitor management station like the Big Knob but I will try your method.
Hi, not really industry standard.. it really depends on particular interface and use case.. there are folks, who has small interface with only one pair of monitors and use line outs 3-4 for instance to drive some outboard analog effect or headphone amp with its own volume control.

I would first try that connection through crossover in subwoofer, that's far more common way than two separate outs from the interface, because of reasons I've mentioned before. That should work for you.

Michal
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Does that sub have a bypass switch? I did a session at a place with one and the assistant had to go through all kinds of nonsense in order to bypass it. That has kept my from buying one even though I've purchased the HS80's.

There aren't many interfaces in that range with switchable speaker outputs these days. SPL Crimson and Audient ID22 are all that come to mind. It's a prerequisite for me. I prefer to have 3 or more pairs of switchable outs. Big consoles spoiled me.

Perhaps you should consider a monitor controller. They have the added benefit of having lots of stereo ins and most of them have at least two headphone outs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search