The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PC Migration software - your stories
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear
PC Migration software - your stories

I'm planning to build a shiny new 5820K based system, but like most of us I don't fancy reinstalling all my plugs. I know it's an opportunity to cull, but some of those VIs are just monsters.

So I thought if I built and installed W10 Home, all the updates, plug in my eLicenser and iLok, name my drives the same, then I could just run one of those migration programs, sit back, relax and start working a couple of hours later...right?

I've done some research and come across TodoPCtrans, PCMover, Zinstall. I'm sure it will work with my laptop and migrate my ancient copy of Office 2003 and other everyday stuff, but we're talking DAWs with loads of plugs.

Anyone done this? Good, bad, ugly?

Edit:

Just thought, I would not want to breach any licenses and would dismantle the old DAW or even reuse some of its parts once I knew the new one was working. I don't need or want 2 DAWs.
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear

I'd never use that method, too much possibility of transferring crap from the old setup.

I'd fresh install everything and use Acronis to image it so a fresh install is minutes away instead of hours.

The old system would be good for a slave to the new using VEPro, especially if heavy VST usage.
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear
I don't have too much bloat. It is a DAW, not a gamer's workstation or a home pc. But that does mean a complex build, hence the migration idea. For what I do the 5820 will suffice and I can avoid extra complexity with VE Pro or Nebula Server.

I wish I could just stick the old drive in the new tower, but fat chance getting Microsoft to authorize that!

I do back up with Acronis, a definite, agreed.

Anyone else tried this?
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear

Forget about MS auth., all the motherboard drivers would be different.

Run CCleaner to see how polluted your current system is. Don't perform any cleanups, just see what needs to be cleaned and how many registry errors there are.
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear
Yeah, I know. With the new HW it's just better to buy a separate W10 home. No escaping that annoyance and hassle, unless you go Linux!

I run CC quite a lot. I don't really notice much performance difference before though it always finds something, and more if I've left it a while. Main thing is my system is stable and performs as well as could be expected - Cubase 6.5 with a mildly OC'd 2700K.

I'm still not put off by the idea mashedmitten!
Old 12th July 2016
Lives for gear
No one ever tried this?
Old 12th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post

I wish I could just stick the old drive in the new tower, but fat chance getting Microsoft to authorize that!
Have done this 2 times now with my current XP install , the only important driver to get it booting is storage driver must be the same mode. That could be RAID ,IDE or AHCI that does not matter as long it remain the same . Other drivers can be updated / removed and activation of windows could be done with telephone .

But clean install could have advantage , only i do not see downsides to just put hd/ssd in new computer . With XP there is a problem when using more cores as original install , but w7 and up do not have this issue and use all cores good in multi threaded operation . Could be problem when moving to uefi , than related bios problems that i am not aware of .
Old 12th July 2016
Lives for gear
Thanks for the info soundebler. I didn't know MS permitted hardware/OS transfer on a system wide scale - I'll check it out. Then again, I am thinking of an SSD for my system drive so I need to decide which way to go first.

I'm so bloody minded though, I may just try the migration software for myself as it appears that I'm the only one in the history of Audio computing that has ever considered this...
Old 12th July 2016
Gear Addict

I've got a new 6800K system coming in a few days. As I am only changing the mobo, ram and cpu I will try transferring my SSD over initially to see how it runs, then when I get time I will definitely be doing a fresh install.

I will be making multiple Acronis disk backups of each install which will enable me to restore to see if there are any performance/stability differences between them.

Also I've had no problems getting MS to reauthorise Windows in the past even on the phone when I haven't had internet.
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear
Hope that goes well for you RobGee. Why did you go for the 6800K instead of the 5820K?
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

My drive wont boot and im thinking this is the perfect time to move over to a SSD and fresh install everything.
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone try on Mac? I'm upgrading to a faster old Mac Pro (from another 2010 Mac Pro) and while I definitely will do a fresh install, it would be convenient if I didn't have to track down all my (legal) plugins and DAWs and their associated libraries.

Thanks
Old 13th July 2016
Lives for gear

Apple has migration assistant built in. It works but can get a bit iffy with permissions etc with user accounts.

Give it a try you've nothing to loose.

A clean install and new system is always a good start though to a new DAW. I know it's a PIA :D I'm getting to the end of my Current DAW life and am dreading the week it takes to sort all this stuff out when I do eventually build a new DAW.

MC
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search