The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best and most used analogue EQs and their emulations
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Head

Best and most used analogue EQs and their emulations

Hi!
What are the best analogue EQs ever made? Or EQs that found and find the most use in the professional area?
I actually want to buy some plugins which emulate those "best" or "most used" EQs to enhance my mixes. I think a good start would be the Slate Digital VMR.
Thanks,
D
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Addict

Acqua
Code red (the not free version)
Boz +10

I find all these better than slate.
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Addict

Sonimus Burnley 73
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

Pultec
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

In terms of what's available in plugin emulations, Putlec and Massive Passive come first to mind...
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Nut

The Slate VMR is a good start as it includes the classic 1073 (FG-N) and SSL (FG-S) EQ's. Those plus Pultecs and API's are probably the most used and emulated.
Old 10th July 2016
Sonimus Burnley is the best 1073 emu. I also like the flavour of the Ik Api emus. Acustica Amber remember me also a lot to the original Avalon eq
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

Honestly, after numerous tests and having the two, I recommend the Waves SSL instead of Slate FG-S. The Waves sounds much closer to the original/hardware.
Old 10th July 2016
Gear Head

Tokyo Dawn Slick EQ GE for tracks and Tokyo Dawn Slick EQ Mastering Edition for busses. Really cool and affordable stuff!
Old 10th July 2016
Lives for gear

Don't like slate EQs much, like waves ones even less (aside from one or two and only in small doses). Never much liked the waves SSL, preferred Duende (though different 'emulations')

For me it would be Softube EQF-100 (also part of the grand channel bundle), the PSP E27 (based on the gorgeous Avedis E27) is great for a harder/more rocking eq. The softube is my goto.

Also the softube pultech-ish clone (TubeTech classic channel bundle) emu is my favourite pultec plug-in by far. Nicer than waves and others. Wasn't so keen on the acustica purple for some reason, and the workflow suffers a bit there in nebula land, even with acqua plugs (CPU use & less smooth controls)

Tried pretty much all the others and those are the emu plugs I like best for Sound, workflow and gui (the whole package). Some others are great in one of those areas but not always all three. VMR is particularly clunky for me so I refuse to use it, don't need or want a rack within a rack system /rollseyes, and I don't think it sounds quite as good as the two I mentioned any way.

So softube all the way for me, and with a side serving of PSP E27. Fab filter Pro Q2 rounds out my plug-in eq needs with a surgical tool.
Old 14th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneKontrol View Post

So softube all the way for me, and with a side serving of PSP E27. Fab filter Pro Q2 rounds out my plug-in eq needs with a surgical tool.

how do you use the Grand Channel?

on all tracks?

i recently fell for Duende - keeping my FX chain super simple these days.

i DO like Duende with Slate's VCC.

but i am curious about your usage of Softube's GC.

please and thank you.
Old 14th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodshonf View Post
how do you use the Grand Channel?

on all tracks?

i recently fell for Duende - keeping my FX chain super simple these days.

i DO like Duende with Slate's VCC.

but i am curious about your usage of Softube's GC.

please and thank you.
I use in special the comp for vocals and from time to time on the master bus. In the vocals is one of my go to comps from very long time ago.
Old 14th July 2016
Lives for gear

Nice thread, some plugins to demo now!
Old 15th July 2016
Gear Addict

hmmm.
Old 15th July 2016
I recently compared my API 5500 (stereo 560 eq) with the waves API 560 eq plug in on a guitar track and the difference was very tough to hear. Oddly, I found myself disengaging the analog switch on the plug in as it added a strange noise the high end that isn't there on the hardware. Once I switched it off and it was pretty bang on.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear
Every program or set of circuits work differently. But here are the things to keep in mind.

The way the Q relates to the frequency being adjusted is all over the place.
Pultic = "Musical" = wide q
SSL = "Surgical" = narrow q
The best of everything, in the midle = Massive Passive
And for a while I remember reading about "Constant power" EQ where in theory, the perceived volume is maintained as you adjust the EQ curve. I think that's a Sony/Oxford thing.

Now in general, it's easy to boost, and difficult to cut as a new mixer. Over time you learn to cut, cut and cut.....then perhaps an add here. Cuts use narrow Q and boosts use wide Q.
Old 15th July 2016
Pultec

Softube makes a great emulation.
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear
DDMF has an emulation of the $2300 Neve 5033 which they named the 6144. It's extremely good. The same EQ is also built in to their channel strip plugin "TheStrip". Highly recommended.

The 5033 is a newer Neve EQ, not one of their vintage models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyonmusic View Post
Hi!
What are the best analogue EQs ever made? Or EQs that found and find the most use in the professional area?
I actually want to buy some plugins which emulate those "best" or "most used" EQs to enhance my mixes. I think a good start would be the Slate Digital VMR.
Thanks,
D
Old 15th July 2016
Lives for gear

Is there a worthwhile non UAD2 Massive Passive plugin? Sounds like a sexy bit of kit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search