The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How does the H6 compare as an audio interface? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 8th July 2016
Here for the gear
How does the H6 compare as an audio interface?

Hi!

I am interested in getting the Zoom H6 because I do a lot of field recording for nature sounds and cut them up for my compositions. I am also in the market for an audio interface and I am wondering if the H6 is a suitable audio interface and how it compares to say... a Presonus box or the focusrite scarlet series, and like products.

Is it a "good enough" audio interface for rough bedroom demos? for those of you who have experience with it. And the H5?

Thank you my friends
Old 9th July 2016
Here for the gear

The H6 is great

Dude The H6 is the bomb why would you need anything but... it's got the dopest preamps of any sub-$600 field recorder and the interchangeable capsules is hot ****. I'd say you'd be set. Get it with the shotgun capsule and XY and you'd have a blast.
Old 9th July 2016
Yes, it's all you need
Old 9th July 2016
Gear Addict

While the H6 is a nice field recorder that will likely fit your intended use, I will mention that, for me, it obviously could not deliver the audio quality I wanted which turned out to be studio grade. The H6 was my first baby step into audio around a year ago.

The preamps are convenient, that is all I can concede. While doable, the gain and metering are very challenging to set, match and read.

The microphones do not compare favorably to any of the mics I ended up buying. The MDC mics I chose ranged from $200. - $650 and the LDCs from $2.5 to $4K. 8 channels of preamps ended up at $850. per channel. The interface requirement was the biggest surprise as it was the final obstacle to good audio recording and required a <$3K investment. No one would expect an H6 to compare favorably but I am mentioning my own journey as the sound I naively hoped to achieve with the H6 required a different level of equipment.

I do occasionally appreciate the convenience and portability of the H6 with one or two of my mics to capture occasional sounds not suited for a studio. Ie. I will likely capture my Maserati exhaust sound this week for a sale ad link.

I like the H6 for what it is with outboard mics but could not live with audio from the bundled "mics".
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search