The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
PC88MX midi question from newbie
Old 8th July 2016
Here for the gear

PC88MX midi question from newbie

Sorry for being completely new and ignorant.

Okay, so I bought a laptop, Cubase, an RC 505 looper that I'm using as a "hub" and have my PC88MX pluged into that - MIDI and input jacks. I'm trying to get everything set up. I want my piano to work through Cubase, and I bought Padshop for starters there. I'm trying to figure out how to get everything working. I had the guy at the music shop show me what to plug where, so I'm confident that's all good. The only possible problem with cords could be my USB port on the RC 505 - doesn't seem to set in all the way.

I downloaded the updates and driver for the RC505 onto my laptop.
I'm not sure if I need a driver for the PC88MX. I don't see anything on the Kurzweil site.
I see in the PC88 manual about turning the MIDI receive On on all 16 channels and turning Local Control off. This will make the PC88 a slave to the computer, and anything I play on the keyboard will be routed through the computer before I hear it.

I do want to hear it through the computer as well as through the monitor speaker. I'm not really sure how to turn the MIDI receive On on all 16 channels. I'm still trying to figure that out. I thought things would be plug and play. sigh.

So I guess my question at this point is - is turning all the MIDI channels on what I need to do to get the piano to work with the software? I appreciate any help or tips here.

Thanks!
Old 8th July 2016
Here for the gear

Okay - I redownloaded the RC505 update, and got that installed properly. So my USB cord is working.
Now I'm trying to get my piano working through Cubase. I followed the steps in the Cubase manual for setting up VST connections. I think it's right. I can hear the sounds on my laptop using my mouse to trigger them, but I have yet to figure out how to use my Kurzweil. I'm back to the MIDI receive, I guess. Can someone confirm how to run the piano through Cubase?

Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search