The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
apology and congrats to acustica audio from a former skeptic (new PINK compressors) Channel Strip Plugins
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Addict

apology and congrats to acustica audio from a former skeptic (new PINK compressors)

Long story short:

I think that the top nebula libraries are among the best if not the best sonically in the digital domain when it comes to equalization, harmonic distortion (consoles, preamps), and tape emus.

I have been a major skeptic of acustica audio's post-nebula
offerings in the aqua series including eqs, compressors and strips.
The reasons are that I am irritated by the blistering release
schedule (1 new plugin every month), releasing products with numerous bugs, sadistic authorization mechanics, high prices, subpar support, often arrogant/cultist attitude, clanky guis, dissmissive attitude toward non-convolution plugin products and every other product and manufacturer, lack of demos until very recently, lack of presets and a decent preset management system, and finally about the inability to resell. Also the workflow was better but the sound was inferior to nebula top libraries for me (nebula is the flagship product of acustica).

Recently, in the new product announcement thread, i challenged the claims that the new PINK compressors were "the best" or even bringing anything new to the table. It was pointed out to me by OMU that it has "solid bass response and has an unexpected enhancing effect on the stereo image".

I went back to testing, did many careful (blind, level matched, gain-staged, multiple days, headphones+monitors) tests with several compressors on full mixes and I am floored by how good is the PINK 2412 for this application scenario.

The only plugin that gave me the same weight/punch and stereo image width was the UAD shadow hills mastering compressor (that sells 3x the price and requires a DSP hardware). The waves SSL G strip (which sells 3x the price and includes eq and gating) gave comparable punch/bass but in my tests the SSL has a narrower stereo image. Both the SHMC and SSL require 3x the tweak time. I could not get anywhere near what PINK does effortlessly, with any of many other very famous/excellent compressors.

So there you have it. I was wrong, I am a believer now, this compressor is excellent and I would recommend anyone interested to try it out and form their opinion.

My well-deserved and sincere congratulations to acustica for an incredible product.

PS

I still believe strongly that acustica needs to improve all the other weaknesses I mentioned previously and also bring to the market ASAP the next Nebula version(s) with ability for zero latency, multiple bands, efficient operation and professional grade skins. I am looking forward to the new nebula when it comes out.
Old 5th July 2016
Lives for gear

They really need to work on their website.

Even if I wanted to buy their products, it's quite the pain.
Old 5th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post

+1
Old 5th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post

+1

Our website is the worst possible, I agree.
It was very good several years ago and for an indie company. It is not good at all today
We are working on my fronts, most of them are related with the infrastructure, the authorization process and the website

Cosnyc:
Little nice note, we are working on factory presets for acqua and nebula
Old 5th July 2016
nice to see this, seeing as last year consnyc delivered some of the most blistering criticism to acustica I have witnessed!
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Maniac

@consync

Dear Sir,

You took the only reasonable route to assess the actual quality of any audio device, be it software or hardware.

I must say I am impressed by your perseverance, honesty and open-mindedness!

Apparently such qualities are sorely missing these days...
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Addict

I find the pink channel strip very intriguing. The only thing that puzzles me is the absence of low and high pass filters...not really a channel strip without that. Amethyst2 has filters, how come the new CORE 8 channel strips lacks them?

On a side note:
I wonder if acoustica will ever release an SSL emulation. Would buy that in a heartbeat.
Old 5th July 2016
OMU
Lives for gear

Good for you, consync

I believe Pink can be a great drum bus compressor. You can get huge drums with it.
Old 5th July 2016
good sound always wins in the end
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist9891 View Post
On a side note:
I wonder if acoustica will ever release an SSL emulation. Would buy that in a heartbeat.
Well, just wait and see...

Old 5th July 2016
Here for the gear

the Pizza to Performance Ratio is something you always have to deal with italian manufactures.
Old 5th July 2016
Lives for gear

they are working on a new web site and they are working on an authorization manager
so it will be easy installing and then we also can move our 2 licenses for every product around to our other computers
its coming slowly together

we are gonna be able to resell our plugins too, i think the auth manager has to happen first

its only a little over a year since i dived into Nebula and i was very sceptical

i had known about nebula for years hehe

it took one Acqua trial and i was sold

the pluses definitely outweigh the minuses with Acustica

Cheers
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
+1

Our website is the worst possible, I agree.
It was very good several years ago and for an indie company. It is not good at all today
We are working on my fronts, most of them are related with the infrastructure, the authorization process and the website

Cosnyc:
Little nice note, we are working on factory presets for acqua and nebula
great news. this will help a lot both users' work and your sales/ by more directly highlighting the strengths of the products.
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Nut
A good auth manager... That's an excellent news.
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
nice to see this, seeing as last year consnyc delivered some of the most blistering criticism to acustica I have witnessed!
true, I call them as I see them, no other agenda.

It would have been very dishonest for
me to not admit that PINK is a fantastic product, especially
given all my prior criticisms.
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
good sound always wins in the end
SWAN808,

it should win, but it is easy to miss it/get sidetracked
because of lack of ease of use,
workflow, pricing and many other important factors.
Old 5th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
Good for you, consync

I believe Pink can be a great drum bus compressor. You can get huge drums with it.
indeed and thanks for opening my eyes (actually ears) previously.
Old 11th July 2016
Gear Nut

Would you use this on the master bus?
Old 12th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link0126 View Post
Yes! It is absolutely fantastic. As is often said though, you need to try for yourself.
Old 12th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link0126 View Post
an emerging consensus from users is that the 2412 is best for drums and the 7236 (the multiband) version for mastering. I have tried the 2412 on the master on eletronica mixes and it sounds great to me.
Old 12th July 2016
Gear Addict

i have tried a few times to navigate the Acustica product offerings.

not the easiest to wade through.
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Addict

The big question to me is, why buy individual aqua plugins if you can buy nebula?
Old 24th July 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldDragon View Post
The big question to me is, why buy individual aqua plugins if you can buy nebula?
Acquas contain multiple nebula instances.

An acqua plug combines sampled gear elements whereas nebula usually uses just one element at a time

Nebula has more options within its library but is more limited in options on a per instance basis.
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist9891 View Post
On a side note:
Did you end up buying Sand?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search