The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Uhe Presswerk Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

Uhe Presswerk

What do you guys think of this compressor? I see almost no reviews or raving about it. I own zebra and satin love both. Is this not a high regarded compressor compared to boz manic or klanghelm mjuc compressor?
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
What do you guys think of this compressor? I see almost no reviews or raving about it. I own zebra and satin love both. Is this not a high regarded compressor compared to boz manic or klanghelm mjuc compressor?
Presswerk is one of my main comp plugins, I think it sounds great and is extremely versatile. It's a fantastic complement to mjuc. I think theres a tendency toward hardware emulations for comp plugins, which is why Presswerk doesn't get as much love. Plus it's admittedly not the most user friendly.
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

Love it! One of my favourites.
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwith View Post
Presswerk is one of my main comp plugins, I think it sounds great and is extremely versatile. It's a fantastic complement to mjuc. I think theres a tendency toward hardware emulations for comp plugins, which is why Presswerk doesn't get as much love. Plus it's admittedly not the most user friendly.
I almost exclusively use it with the skins or interfaces. Makes it much easier to use that way. Just a few knobs that do multiple things and makes it easy to dial in the sound you want.

I think Presswork is great. I use it quite a bit. I think the reason it doesn't get a lot of love, like you said, is because it's not trying got be a hardware emulation. It's a kind of swiss army knife compressor. Still has grit an saturation and you can use it on a lot of different sources. It's also amazing as a limiter.

Went beta came out Presswork's different UI's looked more like actual hardware like 1176, la2a, dbx160 etc, but I guess to not confuse the issue they decided to go with their own interfaces. Had they went with actual hardware skins you would have had complaints about accuracy and since Presswork is not a hardware emulation you can see where the problem is there.
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

What skins does presswerk have out?
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
What skins does presswerk have out?
..skin isn't really right name for that.. It's complete UI with macro controls, which can affect several internal parameters at once. Also control ranges are always bit modified towards "emulated" device.
So I would rather call that "easy modes", where UI is customized to suit particular usage (eg. vocals, drums, bus, limiter).
Although you can always switch back to full control mode with complete set of Presswerk's controls.

Check this 20min video, where is all explained and accompanied with examples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSIHioY7RK8

Michal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search