The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How these midi usb controllers work with midi out? Rackmount Synthesizers
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Addict
How these midi usb controllers work with midi out?

Hey guys, maybe a dumb question...

I'm looking to get a new midi controller and was looking at the new Alesis VI...it has usb out for midi but then a 5-pin midi out...So my question is...Can I send midi out from my DAW that would come out of the 5 pin midi out on the Alesis? Like, I have a matrix 1000, and have Obie Editor, so I need to be able to play and record the midi from the Alesis, and then play back that info out of my DAW back into the Matrix 1000, and use the Obie Editor which will send midi info out of my computer, and into the Matrix 1000. I'm a little confused if this is possible through a keyboard (Alesis) or do I need a dedicated midi box? Thanks again...

Last edited by Esemjayes; 2nd July 2016 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Old 2nd July 2016
Lives for gear

To get midi from computer to Oberheim you will need a separate midi interface.

The midi and usb on the controller keyboard will be output (from keyboard - to computer) only.
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
To get midi from computer to Oberheim you will need a separate midi interface.

The midi and usb on the controller keyboard will be output (from keyboard - to computer) only.
Yea but the Alesis has a separate 5-pin midi out to control other keyboards, in addition to a usb midi out that you connect directly to the computer.
Old 2nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Exactly....these are both outputs.

There is no midi in so there's no way to get midi in to the Alesis let alone pass it through to the Oberheim.
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Exactly....these are both outputs.

There is no midi in so there's no way to get midi in to the Alesis let alone pass it through to the Oberheim.
Yea....? But normally I have my keyboard controller into midi interface then out of my Daw/ midi out into the matrix ...the Alesis doesn't act like a midi interface? When I do it this way there's no midi going ini my keyboard controller either.
Old 3rd July 2016
Lives for gear

No the Alesis doesn't act like an interface.
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Guru

the midi output on the Alesis should show up as midi output in DAW ... then it is just midi to use after that ..
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
the midi output on the Alesis should show up as midi output in DAW ... then it is just midi to use after that ..
So is stella645 wrong then? I'm confused
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Guru

that is not what i said ... i said "Should Show up" ... but no worries ...

from the Alesis VI user guide .. by this the OP should be good to go ..

If an external device is connected to the MIDI Out, your computer can send MIDI messages via USB to the VI49, which will then send the message to the external device

http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14...Guide-v1.0.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esemjayes View Post
So is stella645 wrong then? I'm confused
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
that is not what i said ... i said "Should Show up" ... but no worries ...

from the Alesis VI user guide .. by this the OP should be good to go ..

If an external device is connected to the MIDI Out, your computer can send MIDI messages via USB to the VI49, which will then send the message to the external device

http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14...Guide-v1.0.pdf
No way! Thanks a bunch I did look through the manual but it was like five pages...maybe it was the quick start manual?
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Guru

page 5 near the End ... it is under the USB part ... hope it helps a little .. cheers john

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esemjayes View Post
No way! Thanks a bunch I did look through the manual but it was like five pages...maybe it was the quick start manual?
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
page 5 near the End ... it is under the USB part ... hope it helps a little .. cheers john
Yup thanks it's the exact answer...I figured it acted like an interface in a way by sending midi out from the DAW through the keyboard and out through the midi out...but the other guy who posted made me doubt
Old 3rd July 2016
Lives for gear

I do apologise....I read the product page but not the manual and there was no mention of 2 way connection over USB and they were described as outs.

Would have thought they would have been using this as a selling point rather than hiding it in the manual.
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
I do apologise....I read the product page but not the manual and there was no mention of 2 way connection over USB and they were described as outs.

Would have thought they would have been using this as a selling point rather than hiding it in the manual.
I know! I believed you because I didn't read it anywhere either, but I'm glad we're both wrong.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search