The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CLA-2A vs CLA-3A Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd July 2016
CLA-2A vs CLA-3A

So I have a choice between the CLA-2A and the CLA-3A. I already have a TubeTech tube compressor plug so I am hesitant to get another. That's why I'm leaning toward the 3A. I have heard both of the hardware units and obviously love both. I mix literally all kinds of music as well. Anyone have a suggestion and why?
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Nut

They're both on sale. Plus with 30% off the second plugin + $50 off right now, you're basically getting 2 for 1. Pretty easy choice!
Old 3rd July 2016
Deleted 7f9cade
LA-2A is a tube optical circuits. The CLA-2A is great for things like acoustic guitar, vocals (esp. BGV) Clean electric guitar, Piano.

LA-3A's are transistor based optical circuits. The attack is a bit faster and its tone is different.
If you mix heavy music. LA-3A on heavy guitars using just 1db of compression is just amazing IMO. Its also great for distorted guitar solos. To me it has this forwardness to it. cla-3a in the -2 to -4 GR range for solos is just money. Sometime I put the 3a on acoustic guitars instead of the usual go to 2A

Both are optical so think about how you want to shape your less transient heavy material and what tone you want to impart on it. Pads and synth lines are great with either one.
Using them on drums usually doesn't work well. The 1176 is much faster and punchier, thats your drum compressor.

All of the above is just my taste and not a rule at all. Really both should be in your tool box. IMO. If you already have the tube tech plug. Get the 3A

Last edited by Deleted 7f9cade; 11th July 2016 at 10:52 AM..
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search