The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
choosing a recording for midi laptop
Old 2nd July 2016
Here for the gear

choosing a recording for midi laptop

I'm going to be buying a new laptop in the next month. I will be using it for college, but my main use is for producing,recording via midi. There are so many options so I need some guidance. I do not play games, so my main use is recording. First there is the processor to consider. I was thinking an Intel i5, from what I have read an i7 would be more than what I would even use, I also noticed if I went with an AMD I could save a few bucks that way but at the same time i absolutely do not want to sacrifice quality especially since I will be using this for recording my music using the program Ableton. Can i get an AMD good as the intel at a fraction of the cost without losing quality? Then I'm wondering if i should get 8gigs of ram or 16. I don't want to waste money on extra ram that i won't even use. Then a solid state drive sounds so exciting as fast as it is and as reliable as people say it is. Then there is brands. In the day HP was low quality, i'm not sure how they are now. Dell makes great machines but it seems like your paying extra for the name. Right now I have a cheap dell from walmart with an i3 and 4 gigs of ram. I have been looking at ASUS for the last 2 weeks and it just seems they give you more for your buck. I also always thought acer makes low quality computers, is this still true? I'm not sure about lenovo. My budget would be no more than $1200, but I would love to find the perfect laptop for 700-800 ut at the same time I refuse to lose quality. So should I go with 8 or 16 g of ram? what about processor an i5 or AMD? I love the speed of a solid state drive, but do i really need it or are they really more dependable than a sata?....i could also get more if i get a laptop with a 13' screen, i was going to get a 15...so what should i do? what should i get? what brand.... I'm also going to be buying from the microsoft store because they remove all bloatware on their machines? should i sacrifice screen size? the one i have been looking at is an asus for $1000 it has everything i wanted, but should i get something cheaper? is it worth going with the cheaper smaller screen ? amd? intel? sata or solid state...what brand...please help me decide
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Maniac
If you're only working with MIDI just about any computer will work.
But, what sounds are you? triggering? Loads of virtual instruments, large orchestral libraries? Just a few software synths?

You'll need to be more specific about your plans.
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Guru

15" screen, 16Gb ram, i7 4-core - I would want this with Ableton in the near future .. Brand, i do not care as long as the Build is Very Good .. if you were putting a Console in your Studio you would want a Good One .. this is the Centerpiece of Most Modern Studios these days, a Solid Computer ... my .02 but i am a Mac Guy ... if i went PC this is where i would head ..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search