The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Solid State Drive Maintenance Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 2nd July 2016
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Solid State Drive Maintenance

I recently got a new Mac Pro. This is the first computer that I've owned that runs on a solid state drive. What sort of maintenance should I do to help its longevity? I'm running audio off an external drive for my sessions in Pro Tools 12.5 as I did on previous systems. I've also been told to not store media such as videos, music, and other files on my computer, and basically just store computer programs on the desktop. Is there any other stuff I should do on a regular basis? I do some internet surfing on the desktop too, but do most of it on my old Macbook Pro laptop from 2009. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 2nd July 2016
  #2
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
I stuck all my iTunes on an SDHC, just because I don't want to spend the internal storage on it.
Old 2nd July 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
 
nuthinupmysleeve's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdc100 View Post
I recently got a new Mac Pro. This is the first computer that I've owned that runs on a solid state drive. What sort of maintenance should I do to help its longevity? I'm running audio off an external drive for my sessions in Pro Tools 12.5 as I did on previous systems. I've also been told to not store media such as videos, music, and other files on my computer, and basically just store computer programs on the desktop. Is there any other stuff I should do on a regular basis? I do some internet surfing on the desktop too, but do most of it on my old Macbook Pro laptop from 2009. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Use it as any other hard drive, and, as with any other hard drive, be sure you have a full daily backup.

There are no reasons to do anything different with SSD anymore.
Old 2nd July 2016
  #4
Gear Head
 

You paid good money for it. Just run it hard and enjoy it. They are well built machines and the ssd's are fairly robust. If you are worried about longevity throw apple care on it.
Old 2nd July 2016
  #5
Registered User
 

Never had to do a darn thing to any of my SSDs. My OSX 10.8.5 boot is on a 6 y/o Intel SSD and my project/audio drive is a 5 y/o Mushkin Callisto. Rock solid in my still rocking 2008 2x2.8 Mac Pro. Nearly always on 24/7 all those years.
Old 3rd July 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Me_Likey's Avatar
 

My Sandisk and Samsung Pro SSDS have a ten year warranty based on 20 gigabytes per day. There is no way I write or delete 20 gigabytes every day, so let's be conservative and say it will last 20 years. Now, I don't remember what HDD I was using 20 years ago, but I'm pretty sure It's not working anymore. Use your SSD and be happy.
Old 3rd July 2016
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Likey View Post
My Sandisk and Samsung Pro SSDS have a ten year warranty based on 20 gigabytes per day. There is no way I write or delete 20 gigabytes every day, so let's be conservative and say it will last 20 years. Now, I don't remember what HDD I was using 20 years ago, but I'm pretty sure It's not working anymore. Use your SSD and be happy.
Heh, your HDD from 20 years ago ranged in the 10-100's MB range. I don't think I could even fit some of my sessions on one of those drives.
Old 4th July 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
 
soundebler's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethbyoogabooga View Post
Heh, your HDD from 20 years ago ranged in the 10-100's MB range. I don't think I could even fit some of my sessions on one of those drives.

No , the 20 year old Quantum Bigfoot do not fit in my Netbook


Old 4th July 2016
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundebler View Post
No , the 20 year old Quantum Bigfoot do not fit in my Netbook


Do you have it jumped as master or slave?
Old 5th July 2016
  #10
Lives for gear
 
soundebler's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethbyoogabooga View Post
Do you have it jumped as master or slave?
Its on factory default as master , but oew those things are slow . The Net book has ssd for couple of years now and it pushes the performance of slow Net book with only maintenance a trim command from toolbox
Old 5th July 2016
  #11
I'm new to SSD myself, so with that, I've only just learned that with SSD's you DO NOT defragment them like regular HDD's. So they require LESS maintenance it appears.
Old 20th July 2016
  #12
Gear Maniac
 

Ok cool. Thanks guys. Good to hear all this.
Old 20th July 2016
  #13
I recommend regular oil changes.
Old 20th July 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
The main thing is preventing any unnecessary use. It's life is only so many cycles. Don't use defrag except say once every 6 months. Other than that. nothing. It's just a memory chip.
Old 20th July 2016
  #15
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
The main thing is preventing any unnecessary use. It's life is only so many cycles. Don't use defrag except say once every 6 months. Other than that. nothing. It's just a memory chip.
I think that overtly running a defrag will not be as effective as letting the built-in routines manage the SSD'd health.

A set of tests by a user a couple years back found that only one of the four defrag utilities actually improved performance of the SSD. Since then, the built-in routines of the Windows operating system have some intelligence in them that's working hand-in-hand with TRIM to improve the SSD controller's performance.

The descriptive link is here:
The real and complete story - Does Windows defragment your SSD? - Scott Hanselman

The user test that I mentioned is here:Fragging wonderful: The truth about defragging your SSD | PCWorld

I haven't seen equivalent descriptions about OS X functions beyond statements that allowing TRIM to do its thing is the best/only position.
Old 20th July 2016
  #16
Deleted User
Guest
For anyone with the Samsung 840 EVOs, there is a design flaw where performance degrades over time. As a work around, they added a feature to the Samsung Magician software - a tab for Advanced under Performance Optimization. This should be run occasionally to rewrite the drive and has nothing to do with any trim options. So if you notice you 840 EVO slowing down . . .
Old 20th July 2016
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum View Post
The main thing is preventing any unnecessary use. It's life is only so many cycles. Don't use defrag except say once every 6 months. Other than that. nothing. It's just a memory chip.
No, don't ever defragment SSDs. Just make sure TRIM works, which works fine on any modern OS.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
For anyone with the Samsung 840 EVOs, there is a design flaw where performance degrades over time. As a work around, they added a feature to the Samsung Magician software - a tab for Advanced under Performance Optimization. This should be run occasionally to rewrite the drive and has nothing to do with any trim options. So if you notice you 840 EVO slowing down . . .
True, also the basic 840 (non-pro) models were affected.
I have a 500GB model myself and the firmware update with the "moving tool" fixed the issue, still going strong. Samples only.
Old 20th July 2016
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
No, don't ever defragment SSDs. Just make sure TRIM works, which works fine on any modern OS.
Just to echo this, defragmenting ruins the TRIM table and will shorten the life of your drive.

You defrag on HDD's to arrange the data in sequence in order to avoid data seek times. Your essentially optimizing the spinning platter.

It has no real benefit on SSD's due to pretty much instant access times anywhere on the drive and the lack of aforementioned platter.
Old 20th July 2016
  #19
Lives for gear
 
projektk's Avatar
 

Nice set of info. I have never ran a defeat on any of my SSDs, but this I did not know about so good to know. I barely started using SSDs late last year after building PCs and Hackintoshs since 2009. The reason I waited was due to pricing, very happy with it. I don't build professionally, just for myself.
Old 31st July 2016
  #20
Gear Maniac
 

Do you run the repair disk permissions function on these? Also, is it worth erasing my web cache, or is that being overly anal?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump