The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
usb interface - moved my computer and it's suddenly messed up Audio Interfaces
Old 29th June 2016
Here for the gear

usb interface - moved my computer and it's suddenly messed up

I've been running a desktop PC with Windows 7 with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, recording in Reaper. Since I originally got everything set up and optimized for audio, everything ran perfectly. I could get away with 2ms buffer with hardly ever a skip in my projects. K, cool.

Just recently I moved - unplugged everything, moved into my new place, plugged everything back in, booted up the computer... everything booted up, except my interface wasn't recognized. I tried a few different usb ports with no luck. So I just reinstalled the driver. It kind of worked, but the sample rate kept randomly changing - music or a Youtube video would suddenly start playing back at the wrong rate. Ok, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver again. The playback rate problem seemed to go away, but then I opened up some Reaper projects to test them out. It's unbelievably slow, even on the 10ms maximum buffer setting. Constant skipping. I've tried reinstalling the driver, using different usb ports, different cords. I don't get it. NOTHING is different about my set up that used to be working perfectly. Not sure what to do at this point. Any help is appreciated, thank you.
Old 29th June 2016
Here for the gear

Ugh! Figured it out, though I'm not happy with myself. My processor cooling fan has little pins that push in to the motherboard. They have arrows on them, which I thought indicated which way to turn them to lock in place. Nope, that's which way to turn them to release them. The fan had come loose, allowing my processor to reach some horrifying temperatures. I'm just glad it still works. Nice reminder that I'm a a musician first and a computer guy distant second. I'm going to go sit in my corner now...
Old 29th June 2016
You have been punished enough, you may come out of your corner now.
Old 29th June 2016
Yeah, even if you're NOT putting a computer through any kind of transportation, move etc, things can still become loose. I've had to re-seat several things like, power & SATA connections, PCI cards, ram sticks in my PC's over time. These things can be fairly common, and often overlooked.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search