The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iConnectivity mio 10, opinions?
Old 28th June 2016
iConnectivity mio 10, opinions?

Hi,

Haven't seen much about these units yet. Has anyone used one of these and have any opinion?
I have been looking for a good MIDI interface for a while and this seems to fit the bill. It sure looks good on paper but how is it in the flesh?
Old 29th June 2016
Here for the gear

I work work with iConnectivity... and actually I haven't used the mio10 yet either! But I do use all the others, wrote most of the product manuals, and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Old 29th June 2016
Pip
Lives for gear

I'm interested to - I'm now on El capitan and hoping my Motu midi express plays ball.
Old 29th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbatz View Post
I work work with iConnectivity... and actually I haven't used the mio10 yet either! But I do use all the others, wrote most of the product manuals, and I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Thank you nickbatz. I have a few specific questions, more will likely come later.

I have a hand full of hardware synths that I currently use with USB-MIDI and although the speed is nice I always have problems with noise which seem to be related to grounding loops. Most of the noise disappear when I disconnect the USB-HUB. I have tried a bunch of different USB hubs and the on I use now is the least noisy but I hope to reduce this problem by using MIDI-DIN instead. Since I do not use very intensive MIDI streams I will not notice the loss of speed unless I am sending large SysEx dumps, which I can live with.

I understand that you can route internally. I have one issue that most of the DAW's I use can only send clock to one or two devices, but I want to be able to send clock to all devices. Is it possible to set up a virtual port, have the DAW send clock to that port and then in the mio route the clock to all ports (or selected ports)? Or, based on criteria, route certain types of messages to different ports. I found hints of this on the support page but did not find a clear answer.

There seems to be some type of preset system. Can these store different routing for easy recall? Say for instance I want one preset where MIDI-in and MIDI-out is routed for all devices to the computer and one where only MIDI-out is routed and the MIDI-in ports are disabled?

Lastly, this one I have searched around for but have found very different answers to. Is there an improved performance (latency and jitter wise) when using rtMIDI or is it comparable to USB-MIDI? I would like to start using it so I can use a single Ethernet cable to each of my computers (two of them) and then use both rtMIDI along with AVB for my Audio interface with an AVB-compatible switch (I have not purchased one yet but this is on my list). This would enable me to use my laptop on different locations in my apartment but still being hooked up to my system with the iConnectivity as a MIDI-hub and my MOTU 1248 as audio-hub.
Old 5th July 2016
Lives for gear

theres not much opinion online about this product, I decided to buy the mio4 and try that out first.
Old 10th July 2016
I took a chance and ordered it. I have connected all my synths to an own DIN-channel. I managed to answer some of my own questions. I have provided them here for anyone who might be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzebub View Post
I understand that you can route internally. I have one issue that most of the DAW's I use can only send clock to one or two devices, but I want to be able to send clock to all devices. Is it possible to set up a virtual port, have the DAW send clock to that port and then in the mio route the clock to all ports (or selected ports)? Or, based on criteria, route certain types of messages to different ports. I found hints of this on the support page but did not find a clear answer.
You can apply filters but only on input and output of the port. You cannot, as far as I know, send the clock from one port to another port while sending the notes from the first port to a third port. You can only filter the input on the port, route it and then filter on the respective output.
In the scenario I asked about, I have designated one of the USB-host ports to be clock port so I send the clock form my DAW to USB host 3 which has it's input routed to all of the DIN ports. If I send notes to that port it will also be sent to all ports.
Short answer, yes it's possible.

Quote:
There seems to be some type of preset system. Can these store different routing for easy recall? Say for instance I want one preset where MIDI-in and MIDI-out is routed for all devices to the computer and one where only MIDI-out is routed and the MIDI-in ports are disabled?
Yes, it's possible and quite simple. You write the preset to file and you can load them via a simple browser.

Quote:
Lastly, this one I have searched around for but have found very different answers to. Is there an improved performance (latency and jitter wise) when using rtMIDI or is it comparable to USB-MIDI? I would like to start using it so I can use a single Ethernet cable to each of my computers (two of them) and then use both rtMIDI along with AVB for my Audio interface with an AVB-compatible switch (I have not purchased one yet but this is on my list). This would enable me to use my laptop on different locations in my apartment but still being hooked up to my system with the iConnectivity as a MIDI-hub and my MOTU 1248 as audio-hub.
No idea on this one, yet. Will do some tests once I hook it up to the network.
Old 11th July 2016
Lives for gear

I just got my Mio10 hooked up this week. Seems pretty rock solid so far but I will say it was less than intuitive to set up. It's capable of some complex routing and out of the box everything seemed to be patched to everything. Setting it up for a single computer DAW with a controller seemed far less intuitive than it should have been but that could just be me. I'm not exactly the person who cracks open the manual right off the bat so I hunted around in the settings trying to figure out what made everything tick. By the time I threw in the towel and read the manual my head was spinning a bit but I finally got it sorted. Have to say that it's been solid so far. I was using a MOTU MIDI Express 128 that kept hanging notes and dropping it's connection while looping in Ableton under El Capitan so this is a welcome relief to that problem. Build quality is nice and the options for routing, filtering, etc. are extensive. It's definitely simplified some clock routing in my rig.
Old 12th July 2016
Pip
Lives for gear

So how are they working?
My new set up is Mac trashcan/Cubase 8.5/Motu 128/various outboard synths/Komplete control. I think the driver for El capitan in motu's words "should" work, it does but today I went into configure sync on my ports so my arps run in time. Any clock message gets the Komplete control chipoing away (not expected but its is connect through USB3/not midi) clock does not appear to be going to my synthsl. So I'm now thinking new midi router. The 10 will be avialble in a few weeks in the UK, I never had any problems with cubase 7.5 and windows now apparently I have. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 19th July 2016
Pip
Lives for gear

Any update? I'm now ordering an iconectivity 10 - there appears to be issues with El Crapitan/MOTU 128 and cubase 8.5 with midi clocks.

Are you guys using the iconnectivity clocking your synths for Arps/LFO's etc using El Crapitan and Cubase 8.5 - thanks.
Old 19th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Any update? I'm now ordering an iconectivity 10 - there appears to be issues with El Crapitan/MOTU 128 and cubase 8.5 with midi clocks.

Are you guys using the iconnectivity clocking your synths for Arps/LFO's etc using El Crapitan and Cubase 8.5 - thanks.
I'm not using Cubase but I have not noticed any issues with either Logic nor Renoise under El Capitan. I sometimes clock my OB6 and P6 with the clock from computer via the iConnectivity.
Old 19th July 2016
Pip
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
I'm not using Cubase but I have not noticed any issues with either Logic nor Renoise under El Capitan. I sometimes clock my OB6 and P6 with the clock from computer via the iConnectivity.
Thanks and good to know - got together my Modals in the game!
Old 19th July 2016
Lives for gear

Happy with my Mio10 so far. Hasn't hung a note or missed a beat. I generate clock from a Sync Gen Pro (locked to my DAW via plug in) so I can't vouch for MIDI clock generated within the sequencer. I'm just glad someone is making an interface of this caliber for those of us who need it!
Old 21st August 2016
I'm thinking of buying the iConnectivity MIO 10, I've heard there are some issues with sysex transfers has anyone noticed this?
Old 21st August 2016
Pip
Lives for gear

On order - my 002/008 not plying ball with cubase pro el crap -.like going back 10 years - sync
Old 23rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Hello,

I received my mio10 today and I can't understand how to make it work.
It's like 2 hours that I'm trying to play my synths from my daw and I'm not able to do it: the mio10 works sometimes but most of the time nothing happens.
The software (I already hate it) crashed a few times, it seems to work only (but not always) if I route the Bitwig's hardware instruments midi out into my Fireface 802 and then from the FF 802 out into mio10's midi input 1.
I tried to connect my midi keyboard in the mio's 10 host usb and it works, but only on the selected midi channel of the keyboard.

Btw it seems that on my unit the midi out 1 doesn't work, so I will surely send it back to Thomann, but I don't think I will try another unit, I will probably buy some midi solutions boxes.
Old 23rd August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato View Post
Hello,

I received my mio10 today and I can't understand how to make it work.
It's like 2 hours that I'm trying to play my synths from my daw and I'm not able to do it: the mio10 works sometimes but most of the time nothing happens.
The software (I already hate it) crashed a few times, it seems to work only (but not always) if I route the Bitwig's hardware instruments midi out into my Fireface 802 and then from the FF 802 out into mio10's midi input 1.
I tried to connect my midi keyboard in the mio's 10 host usb and it works, but only on the selected midi channel of the keyboard.

Btw it seems that on my unit the midi out 1 doesn't work, so I will surely send it back to Thomann, but I don't think I will try another unit, I will probably buy some midi solutions boxes.
By default everything is routed to everything so I would suggest to remove the routings and recreate them from the ground up. I had some issues with MIDI loops before that caused by a synth that had it's OUT port set to function as a THRU port.

I would try to simplify your setup by removing individual devices connected to it to isolate potential configuration issues. If you use OS X there is an excellent utility by snoize.com called MIDI Monitor which is useful to show all MIDI data being sent to and from which ports that can help to see if there are any loops anywhere.

Hope it helps and hope you get it sorted.
Old 23rd August 2016
Pip
Lives for gear

Quote:
By default everything is routed to everything so I would suggest to remove the routings and recreate them from the ground up. I had some issues with MIDI loops before that caused by a synth that had it's OUT port set to function as a THRU port.

I would try to simplify your setup by removing individual devices connected to it to isolate potential configuration issues. If you use OS X there is an excellent utility by snoize.com called MIDI Monitor which is useful to show all MIDI data being sent to and from which ports that can help to see if there are any loops anywhere.

Hope it helps and hope you get it sorted.
Really - I'm waiting for my unit, "everything is routed to everything" well what could possibly go wrong if I've understood your quote? Route chanel 1 in to out 1 by default surely, I'm now concerned - does clock via cubase under El cap work?
Old 24th August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Really - I'm waiting for my unit, "everything is routed to everything" well what could possibly go wrong if I've understood your quote? Route chanel 1 in to out 1 by default surely, I'm now concerned - does clock via cubase under El cap work?
Well, not that much "everything". An input is not routed to it's corresponding output since that would instantly cause loops. Sorry if my phrasing was weird.
But DIN1 connects to DIN2 etc and they connect to the USB port and so on. I suppose it is to get you going quickly. They list it in the manual and recommend to customize the routing to remove things that aren't needed.
I haven't tried it in Cubase specifically but clock works great in Reason, Logic and Renoise for me so unless Cubase has some own issues it should be fine.
Old 24th August 2016
Gear Nut

I've been busy setting mine up, and I am using all 10 DIN ports and all 10 USB Host ports (using a 10 port powered USB hub). I had a few Windows issues to start with with iConfig but I managed to sort them out.

Because I have around 40 synths/controllers and the mio10 has max 20 ports I still need to use some MIDI Thru boxes in the setup. I actually use two old Opcode Studio 5's as the Thru boxes (with an old G3 Mac to set them up). In comparison to the old Opcode OMS MIDI Setup/Studio Patches system the iConnectivity iConfig still feels very restricted and cumbersome, and I still have to use the Opcode Studio Patches system to do some filtering and routing (for example for sending MIDI clock to everything while routing everything else very carefully). If iConnectivity could build an iConfig app that uses a GUI similar to Studio Patches and OMS and had the same capabilities it would be incredible.

I haven't fully tested the system yet but I seem to get some dropped/hung notes occasionally. I haven't been able to do it reproducibly yet or work out if this affects only the USB host ports or also the DIN ports (I had the issue with my previous interface, the iConnectivity iConnectMIDI4+ and it affected only the USB host ports. The mio10 seems more stable than the iCM4+ in that regard but there may still be some small problems)
Old 24th August 2016
Lives for gear

Well my mio10 will go back to Thomann and I will swap it with a Kenton midi thru-25...
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Maniac

I've been looking at getting the Mio4. Mostly I need to send clock to a Beatstep Pro, Pulse2 and Analog Rytm from either my DAW or external clock. As well I need to send (along side clock) CC messages from BSP to AR, sequencer note data from BSP to Pulse 2 and also to my DAW to sequence VSTs, midi keyboard to Pulse 2 and to DAW aaand...I think that is it though I may add a couple more external synths like a Moog in the near future which has to receive clock, BSP sequences and keyboard note messages as well. I already have a Casio TB-1 thru box, considered buying midi merger(s) but the Mio4 seems to be able to hook me all up at a decent price. Any input as to whether the Mio would do good for my set up design?
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjazz View Post
I've been looking at getting the Mio4. Mostly I need to send clock to a Beatstep Pro, Pulse2 and Analog Rytm from either my DAW or external clock. As well I need to send (along side clock) CC messages from BSP to AR, sequencer note data from BSP to Pulse 2 and also to my DAW to sequence VSTs, midi keyboard to Pulse 2 and to DAW aaand...I think that is it though I may add a couple more external synths like a Moog in the near future which has to receive clock, BSP sequences and keyboard note messages as well. I already have a Casio TB-1 thru box, considered buying midi merger(s) but the Mio4 seems to be able to hook me all up at a decent price. Any input as to whether the Mio would do good for my set up design?
In my experience mio10 was complete garbage (the software kept crashing or freezing) and the connection matrix wasn't so intuitive for me.
Now I do everything I need (sending clock, midi cc, midi notes from Bitwig, Maschine, Novation Circuit or Akai Advance) with the Kenton midi thru 25 + the Kenton midi merge 4.
Old 5th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcoaffamato View Post
In my experience mio10 was complete garbage (the software kept crashing or freezing) and the connection matrix wasn't so intuitive for me.
Now I do everything I need (sending clock, midi cc, midi notes from Bitwig, Maschine, Novation Circuit or Akai Advance) with the Kenton midi thru 25 + the Kenton midi merge 4.
I've been trying to figure out my MIDI set up. I have a MIDI Thru box with two switchable inputs to 8 out. I know I need a merger. I need to send clock sync to 3-4 devices, I also need the option to send along with MIDI sync MIDI cc and note messages from a sequencer and/or keyboard. I know I can do that with multiple MIDI merge boxes but I'm thinking I shouldn't need a merge box per device if I do my routing right. It's got my head in a tizzy. Any suggestions?

On a side note I notice another option if your MIDI devices all or in part have USB, which is the BomeBox with their MIDI Translator software.
Old 6th September 2016
Pip
Lives for gear

Yup still waiting for the I10 UK launch - I'm having problems with my MOTU midi express and midi clock - El cap and Cubase 8.5,. I really hope the Mio sorts it out.
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

I'd really like one of these to replace my Yamaha MJC8s but it looks like there's no way to configure it except through the software. How about saving different configurations in the software so you can change everything with a single click?

I wish some company would release a basic hardware-only midi patcher.
Old 15th September 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera View Post
I'd really like one of these to replace my Yamaha MJC8s but it looks like there's no way to configure it except through the software. How about saving different configurations in the software so you can change everything with a single click?

I wish some company would release a basic hardware-only midi patcher.
As far as I understand it with the Mio you have to program it via computer or (as I just discovered) an iPad with iConfig. Pretty sure you can have more than one routing set up to easily switch via computer or iPad though I can't say for sure. The set up then is stored in the device so you can unplug it from the computer and use standalone. Other than that the Sipario: Sipario - Advanced MIDI Router could be exactly what you want but is like 3x the price.
Old 15th September 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks Ninjazz.
I hadn't seen the Sipario machine. It's probably more than I need.

The MJC8 has 8 ins and 8 outs. It lets me have two master keyboards that I use to control about 10 other devices. 50 presets programmable and accessible from the front panel. I can switch between them with the push of a button. It's surprising that the Mio 10 doesn't have any on-the-fly front panel controls at all.
Old 20th September 2016
Lives for gear

iConnectivity mio 10 or Alyseum AL-88c? Anyone?
Old 22nd September 2016
Here for the gear

iConnectMIDI4+ not working well

Hi All,
iConnectMIDI4+ real world experience review...

I have been at it for 3 days, trying to get the iConnectMIDI4+ to work and found that consistency might be impossible. I may be a little harsh below, so please forgive me in advance... and I certainly might be just a newbie and confused. My setup is described at bottom.

The iConnectivity iConfig app (on both iOS and Windows 10) losses connection and/or crashes all the time. And about 40% of the time the iConnectMIDI4+ box can never be connected to again unless you reboot it or power cycle. Also if you manage to stay connected, when you use the app to read/set port mappings it will cause the MIDI streams to breakup and shudder.

The UI is looks like it was designed/written by a freshmen CS major in 1992. Even the file save dialog box requires you to remember and type in the file name you are already using... WTF, the common file dialog box is a resource in your IDE.

What really excited me about this product was the integrating of old (5 PIN) and the new (USB) MIDI devices. This is possible because there is a USB host port on the back. It only works with "class compliant" USB devices. This is very reasonable because there are no drivers written for the iConnectMIDI4+ box. But this means that if you have a non class compliant controller or synth you're using 5 Pin.

Example: Since I used all four of the 5 Pin ports on the iConnectMIDI4+ box, I daisy chained the GAIA thru the Taktile. What's really cool is that the iConnectMIDI4+ will enumerate all the logical devices on each piece of equipment. So the Taktile shows up as 3 ports; port1=DAW, port2=MIDI control (KEY on/off etc) and port3=I/F (aka pass thru to the 5 Pin on the back of the unit). Of course you need to make sure your MIDI controller is setup to pass MIDI data from the USB port to the 5 Pin I/F.

All that said companies like KORG loves their special drivers... this kinda blows when using the iConnectMIDI4+. I guess a PC has it's positive attributes once in a while! :-)

So what have I been doing for 3 days and trying to get the iConnectMIDI4+ to work. Well after plugging everything in at first and nothing working as expected I unplugged everything and started one by one.

The older 5 Pin devices worked quite easily so then I added a simple sequencer running on my iPhone5 (via the Griffin cradle which routes the iOS MIDI thru 5 Pin I/O) and it was fun to route the notes on/off around to the different synths and playing multiple synths at the same time. :-) I did the same from my iPad running Patterning (Olympia Noise Co) - my favorite sequencer!

Next was to connect gear thru the USB host interface via a powered USB hub (as instructed by the manual). The iRig KEYS37 was recognized and I could route that just like the 5 Pin gear.

I hooked up the other gear and all hell broke loose. So I meticulously added gear one by one rebooting the device trying to connect the iConnectivity iConfig app. The bottom line is that the iConnectMIDI4+ has trouble enumerating all the USB devices at once, which is what happens when you turn the thing on. If you have a device it can't handle (the GAIA -- non class compliant) nothing on the USB hub works. The order in which you plug in devices seems to matter... but it was too complex to report all the permutations here. I just want it to work when I turn it on. I even tried a different USB hub.

And in the end, as I mentioned above, I can't get the iConnectMIDI4+ to work consistently... so back to Guitar Center it goes tomorrow. :-( And this is too bad, the features listed are fantastic and if this worked as advertised it would have solved SOOOO many of my issues! So if you guys at iConnectivity are listening LMK when you get it right and I'll be the first to buy one (again).

PS it took them 2 days to respond to a trouble ticket and nothing in the response helped. No live chat or phone support that I could find.

Setup:
  1. USB1 - IPhone6 (via enclosed cable)
  2. USB3 - Win10 PC
  3. MIDI DIN 1 - iPad2 in Griffin cradle (1)
  4. MIDI DIN 2 - iPhone5s in Griffin cradle (2)
  5. MIDI DIN 3 - Emu Proteus 1
  6. MIDI DIN 4 - Roland JP8080
  7. USB Host - iRIG keys 37
  8. USB Host - Korg nanoKnotrol
  9. USB Host - Korg Taktile49
  10. USB Host - King Korg
  11. USB Host (via Taktile MIDI I/F port3 DIN) - Roland Gaia
Old 22nd September 2016
Pip
Lives for gear

Sorry to hear that I'm still waiting for the i10 in the uk, your review has got me slightly worried. I try it keep my setup simple 5 midi synths and 1 usb controller. I'm old school and don't like usb.My only problem is cubase 8.5, el cap does not want to send sync to my synths - midi yes but sync just does not lock or work, I have a motu midi express which is 8 years old and does not have el cap drivers. I will get one on test when it becomes available but it's amazing in this day an age you can't seem to be able to integrate hardware. It has worked flawlessly in various set ups for 20 years not now
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search