The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
iConnectivity mio 10, opinions?
Old 6th July 2018
Here for the gear
Well, I didn't check for updates since a while, so yesterday I did and updated both the interface's firmware and drivers. Now ports names changes are correctly applied to my system and each application can see those. Also multiclient driver works, I can use AN1x Editor while Cubase is running.
Usb midi host works (I have a beatstep connected there) and also Midi over ethernet. 6 synths are connected to dins and just working.
I'm on Win10 - 64bit and I still use iConfig, being Auracle still not complete.
My only issue is with the Clavia NordModular editor midi port not communicating at all...(for that I use Maschine's integrated midi port and it works)
My suggestion to all those having massive problems is to start iConfing and CLEAR ALL CONNECTIONS. Than activate and connect only the ports that you use, one by one. This will generate less traffic from-to the usb ports and between your gear. And this really HELPS.
Keep things clean and you'll see it will work!
Old 17th July 2018
Here for the gear
Be wary of the latest 2.03 firmware. While my device is still working, I can no longer connect via iConfig after updating, Auracle still works though
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Head

Working for me (Win10 64) but Auracle was so restrictive (and can't solve my problems to route DAW to USB Host), I've installed iConfig and now all is working (but I don't use specific drivers because it breaks the ports order (from 1 to 16) in Reaper so I don't like it (like din2 host4 din5 host1 ...).
Old 24th July 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogroast View Post
Be wary of the latest 2.03 firmware. While my device is still working, I can no longer connect via iConfig after updating, Auracle still works though
I updated now and iConfig can still connect. Try changing usb port.
Old 11th August 2018
Deleted 83f48a0
I'm looking into a MIDI controller for a pretty outdated system (24" iMac Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.6.8, Digital Performer 7.2) and my 80s synths (DW8000, SY77, TX81Z, K1M). I basically want to be able to route note/CC from the keyboards or DP's MIDI sequences from the iMac into any synth, program synths with sysex via Ctrlr, and dump sysex backup files to the iMac. I don't need multiple computers connected, I don't use MIDI over USB, but I probably will have more synths to control in the future, so x 4x4 solution might not be a viable alternative.

Is the mio10 going to work OK with Snow Leopard and my other 2009 relics? Is it overkill? Should I just get a used Unitor 8 or something else closer to the same era as my DAW?
Old 12th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitdough View Post
I'm looking into a MIDI controller for a pretty outdated system (24" iMac Core 2 Duo, OSX 10.6.8, Digital Performer 7.2) and my 80s synths (DW8000, SY77, TX81Z, K1M). I basically want to be able to route note/CC from the keyboards or DP's MIDI sequences from the iMac into any synth, program synths with sysex via Ctrlr, and dump sysex backup files to the iMac. I don't need multiple computers connected, I don't use MIDI over USB, but I probably will have more synths to control in the future, so x 4x4 solution might not be a viable alternative.

Is the mio10 going to work OK with Snow Leopard and my other 2009 relics? Is it overkill? Should I just get a used Unitor 8 or something else closer to the same era as my DAW?
I’m not sure how well the Mio10 would work with Snow Leopard. Can’t check right now on the compatibility but that might just be a hair too old, or if nothing else may not be supported in the future. The old Emagic units might be a better option. If you’re in the States, I have a Unitor 8 MKII and AMT8 I need to sell, as I replaced them with the Mio10 for a modern flexible alternative (I’ve kept an old MacBook running Leopard around just to program them, and it wasn’t worth it to me after a while), so let me know if you’re interested. They’re really solid midi interfaces-I’ve kinda been keeping them around just for that reason.
Old 12th August 2018
Deleted 83f48a0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent View Post
I’m not sure how well the Mio10 would work with Snow Leopard. Can’t check right now on the compatibility but that might just be a hair too old, or if nothing else may not be supported in the future. The old Emagic units might be a better option. If you’re in the States, I have a Unitor 8 MKII and AMT8 I need to sell, as I replaced them with the Mio10 for a modern flexible alternative (I’ve kept an old MacBook running Leopard around just to program them, and it wasn’t worth it to me after a while), so let me know if you’re interested. They’re really solid midi interfaces-I’ve kinda been keeping them around just for that reason.
PM'd, thanks!
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Nut

So is anyone here using the Mio10 or 4 with multiple hardware sequencers and a computer, controlling multiple hardware synths (13 plus a modular setup)?

I have the MPC Live, Digitakt, Beatstep Pro and MPC2000xl.... as well as an iMac.
I would like the option to use any of these at any time to be the master and then be able to sequence from whichever I choose and record/playback midi/cc data. Obviously I would then want all the other sequencers to become slaves.
Clock would be needed to be sent to all synths (well those with their own internal sequencers or arpeggiators)
And the ability to play those synths from either a controller keyboard or directly on the attached keyboards to those hardware synths.... which will in turn be recorded in to the master sequencer of choice.

I'm going round n round in circles trying to work it all out. Had a few suggestions but none which were able to solve my conundrum.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigLongy View Post
So is anyone here using the Mio10 or 4 with multiple hardware sequencers and a computer, controlling multiple hardware synths (13 plus a modular setup)?

I have the MPC Live, Digitakt, Beatstep Pro and MPC2000xl.... as well as an iMac.
I would like the option to use any of these at any time to be the master and then be able to sequence from whichever I choose and record/playback midi/cc data. Obviously I would then want all the other sequencers to become slaves.
Clock would be needed to be sent to all synths (well those with their own internal sequencers or arpeggiators)
And the ability to play those synths from either a controller keyboard or directly on the attached keyboards to those hardware synths.... which will in turn be recorded in to the master sequencer of choice.

I'm going round n round in circles trying to work it all out. Had a few suggestions but none which were able to solve my conundrum.
Yes to all, except the modular rack, and there's a 4 PC synth farm in the mix as well. Two, using the Mio-10's two, 16 port USB connections, two using DIN ports with 4x4 MidiSports feeding the related PCs via USB.

10 controllers, 8 arpeggiator/sequencers, and 13 hardware synths currently.

I route MTC in the DAW (Sonar X2P) on a per-project basis.

Controllers are assigned in the DAWs on a per track basis.

Local control can be switched on/off in the synths, but so far, I have been able to get the work done via routing, muting, input echoing and planning, in the DAW without "making the rounds."

MidiQuest 11 offers options here, if the gear is supported.

I've made numerous routing config setups for the Mio-10, but not because I need to switch back and forth. More because I add capabilities to the rig. Last update to the Mio-10 config was when I sold an FX unit, and used those (virtual) ports to feed sync between the two primary computers.

Before that, months since any change was necessary.
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
Yes to all, except the modular rack, and there's a 4 PC synth farm in the mix as well. Two, using the Mio-10's two, 16 port USB connections, two using DIN ports with 4x4 MidiSports feeding the related PCs via USB.

10 controllers, 8 arpeggiator/sequencers, and 13 hardware synths currently.

I route MTC in the DAW (Sonar X2P) on a per-project basis.

Controllers are assigned in the DAWs on a per track basis.

Local control can be switched on/off in the synths, but so far, I have been able to get the work done via routing, muting, input echoing and planning, in the DAW without "making the rounds."

MidiQuest 11 offers options here, if the gear is supported.

I've made numerous routing config setups for the Mio-10, but not because I need to switch back and forth. More because I add capabilities to the rig. Last update to the Mio-10 config was when I sold an FX unit, and used those (virtual) ports to feed sync between the two primary computers.

Before that, months since any change was necessary.
Cool.
I think I'll have grab a couple of interfaces and go from there lol.

One of the peepz from iConnectivity said it should be possible with a bit of tweaking to get things running how I want them, especially with the new software coming soon
Old 20th August 2018
Lives for gear

At least one DAW is purported to limit sync out to a single device.

And, one sync feed lights up a lotta LEDs on my Mio-10. I don't see problems with lag on dense MIDI passages, but the backplane of the Mio-10 has a finite bandwidth, just like an ethernet switch or router.

You could get around the "one sync output" with a Midi patchbay, and that would also reduce backplane thruput on the Mio-10, since it's only passing clock once, and the patchbay is splitting and echoing it to all the devices that need it.

Much better than a Midi Thru daisy chain with a time sensitive signal like clock, it would seem to me.

This gets pretty deep pretty fast. I have several controllers, all available to two DAWS on two PCs.

Each is set up to control more than one sound source, again, often on more than one PC. I've programmed the buttons on one controller to turn input monitoring on and off, largely making all the controller-controllee pipes hot, all the time.

Raising the bar, I instantiate software arpeggiators between controllers and both hardware and softsynths, and for load balancing, the arp and the synth may "live" on different PCs.

ENORMOUS potential for MIDI loops, but so far, I'm not seeing any.

In this context, one thing to always keep in the forefront of you mind.

The I/O LEDs in the front of the Mio-10 ALWAYS refer to data flow between the Mio-10 and the device in question. The Mio-10 is NOT the PC, or PCs, it's connected to.

My MidiSport 4x4s, on USB, assume they are PART OF the computer. A flashing MIDI Out LED means the computer in conjunction w the 4x4... is sending data out to an external device.

With the Mio-10, both PCs are ALSO external devices. When you monitor either of the Host USB ports, a flashing MIDI Out LED means the Mio-10 is sending data OUT TO THAT PC.

The exact opposite of the 4x4's behavior. And it makes sense if you think about it. The Mio-10 can't BE the computer, because it can connect to TWO of them.

Remembering this greatly simplifies setup, and troubleshooting. Forgetting it... guarantees madness!

:-)
Old 4th December 2018
Gear Addict

Has iConfig been updated yet so human beings of average intelligence can be bothered to use it??
Old 4th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman666 View Post
Has iConfig been updated yet so human beings of average intelligence can be bothered to use it??
I spoke to someone from iconnectivity about improving the UI of the software. He said it was in the works but not on the front burner. Last I checked, which did have a software update, nothing much changed at all. I fail to see why they can't higher a decent programmer for the UI, use graphics and easy ways to understand the routing at a glance. For that matter I found it odd that iconnectivity has focused more attention on their older products than on the Mio line.
Old 4th December 2018
Pip
Lives for gear

Quote:
My worry too - I want to replace my motu, my current thoughts are for ESI mu8 - class compliant and I suspect easy to get up and running.
My current problem is clock from Cubase 8.5 and no motu unit appears to work with my current set up
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
yes, it's called auracle
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Head

I've started with Auracle but it miss a lot functions to do what I want, so I go back to iCOnfig.
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Addict

After wasting an afternoon on the iconnect I gave in and dug out my old midi sport 4x4 ....I think I might blow up the iconnect and post it on YouTube as a protest at years of them saying they will do something about their software but never do.
Old 7th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldon Tyrell View Post
I've started with Auracle but it miss a lot functions to do what I want, so I go back to iCOnfig.
You can do both. With Auracle the UI is straightforward and while it doesn't have the detailed functionality of iConfig you can go to the level of detail available in iConfig.

The support page on Facebook is good and the iConnectivity team are very responsive.

I don't necessarily agree that iConfig is complex - sure the UI could be improved but as software tools go it's not that bad.
Old 7th December 2018
Gear Head

I have more problems with the windows drivers that creates a mess in the port numbers and names in my DAW, as the generic driver works withou problems, I stay on it (maybe it's better now but don't need/want to try)
Old 31st December 2018
Gear Nut
Started out win7-64, Midisport 4x4 and 2x2, US-144, UM-ONE interfaces, a clutch of Roland rack mounts, some self-build pedal controllers etc. All hell broke loose when I added a cheap "class compliant" midi interface...
So added a MIO-10 and thought I had it licked and ran into ports going missing..again... resisted the urge to saw up the MIO-10 with a chainsaw and hooked the whole lot up to a different motherboard and finally hit the jackpot.

Been running all day without a hiccup! yay ..cartwheels..

Seemingly my original Mobo (Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P) could not deal with a mix of non-class compliant and class compliant USB-midi interfaces.

Revisited the mobo and reflashed it's BIOS followed by a full OS re-install using latest drivers and all appears as it should be.

Am using a USB hub and four el cheapo USB - Midi interfaces listening to some self-build Arduino Pedal and other controllers - we're doing CC's here.

MIO-10, an excellent piece of kit!

Last edited by PatMaximum; 12th January 2019 at 02:45 AM.. Reason: update
Old 11th March 2019
Does anyone of you Mio10 users know whether it is possible to split incoming MIDI messages by MIDI channel to different outputs when in patchbay mode (i.e. without the PC connected)? I understand from the manual and various YT videos that you can duplicate the input to several outputs and then filter out some channels, but I'm looking for a more complex setup such as:
Channel 12 on input 1 -> out as channel 1 on output 5
Channel 13 on input 1 -> out as channel 1 on output 6
Etc.

Thanks for helping
Old 11th March 2019
Here for the gear

You can do channel remapping in the "Channel Remap" tab of the iconfig application (see the manual). Then save the settings to the device.
Old 11th March 2019
Gear Head

THat's sad all these advanced functions aren't in Auracle (yet ?) and have to use the old program that is not updated anymore.
Old 11th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumfix View Post
You can do channel remapping in the "Channel Remap" tab of the iconfig application (see the manual). Then save the settings to the device.
Thank you, I did read the manual and got the impression that output remapping based on the channel, plus channel remapping at the same time, is not directly possible.

Edit: To clarify, the manual shows you can remap channels (e.g. input channel 12 to output channel 1) and remap inputs/outputs (input port 1 to output port 5). However you apparently cannot combine these criteria so that the combination of input port/input channel determines the ouput port/output channel. My earlier MIDI Patchbay (JL Cooper Electronics MSB Rev2 MIDI router), albeit limited, was able to do that.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leading Motive View Post
Thank you, I did read the manual and got the impression that output remapping based on the channel, plus channel remapping at the same time, is not directly possible.

Edit: To clarify, the manual shows you can remap channels (e.g. input channel 12 to output channel 1) and remap inputs/outputs (input port 1 to output port 5). However you apparently cannot combine these criteria so that the combination of input port/input channel determines the ouput port/output channel. My earlier MIDI Patchbay (JL Cooper Electronics MSB Rev2 MIDI router), albeit limited, was able to do that.
That’s correct and my biggest source of frustration with these interfaces. I am still using an old Opcode Studio 5 for that (coupled with an ancient Classic PowerMac to program it). Incidentally the user interface of the Opcode control software is still miles ahead of the iConnectivity software.
Old 16th March 2019
Thank you so much for confirming, that's what I feared. I'll have to think it over then. A separate MIDI router is not a good option, I would have liked something more integrated. I'll have a look at some older interfaces that still had patching functionality.
Old 16th March 2019
Here for the gear

You can certainly do that with the MIO10.

Channel 12 on input 1 -> out as channel 1 on output 5
Channel 13 on input 1 -> out as channel 1 on output 6

is done by:

Route input 1 to both outputs 5 and 6
Do channel remap from channel 12 to channel 1 on output 5
Do channel remap from channel 13 to channel 1 on output 6
Old 16th March 2019
I had thought of that, but then in the example above this would affect all MIDI data on outputs 5 and 6 (not just the data coming from channels 12-13). So e.g. the direct output from the PC sequencer would be affected too. Also, again, this still does not allow splitting to different outputs dynamically depending on an input's channel.
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

The unit won’t light up the computer connection...I was trying to hook my Mac and Push2 with a usb hub, but no luck...all firmware updates are done. Anyone has any idea? My Push2 is not even recognized as a midi controller in the system
Old 4 weeks ago
I just used Auracle for the first time. I don't understand why the iConfig software isn't being developed or updated anymore. I have bought MIO10 because of the many filter editing and routing options. With Auracle I can't even assign a Midi IN Port DIN1 for instrument A and use the Midi OUT Port Din1 for syncing an external hardware MultiMidiclock. So Auracle assumes that there is always a single instrument attached to each port I/O ? Maybe I'm too dumb and can't find the editing possibilities in Auracle ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search