The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need new DAW console plugin... ideas? Saturation Plugins
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Head

Need new DAW console plugin... ideas?

Hey all,

I'm starting my plugins from scratch and was looking for console plugin recommendations.

I had it narrowed down to the bx_console and the Acustica Pink. I ended up not getting the Apollo twin so I'll not be hopping on the UA train (for now). Does anyone have any other reasonably priced suggestions?

I track drums/rock guitars as well as some folk and blues... I want something punchy that will liven up my mix ITB.

edit: Also something that isn't insanely CPU intensive and can be run on multiple instances.. I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro Nehalem with 12 gigs of ram.
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Head

Also looking into the Steven Slate stuff... any opinions?
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

sonimus satson and britson. ssl n neve
Sonimus Satson vs Sonimus Britson
Old 28th June 2016
Softube Console 1. It replaced many of my bread n butter plugins. Superb layout, eq is great and the saturation is the best ITB i've tried. Haven't tested the British model yet.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear
+1 for Sonimus Satson and Britson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanScott View Post
Hey all,

I'm starting my plugins from scratch and was looking for console plugin recommendations.

I had it narrowed down to the bx_console and the Acustica Pink. I ended up not getting the Apollo twin so I'll not be hopping on the UA train (for now). Does anyone have any other reasonably priced suggestions?

I track drums/rock guitars as well as some folk and blues... I want something punchy that will liven up my mix ITB.

edit: Also something that isn't insanely CPU intensive and can be run on multiple instances.. I'm running a 2010 Mac Pro Nehalem with 12 gigs of ram.
Old 28th June 2016
Slate Digital plugins are perfect, low CPU, emulates everything in the sound of the hardware. Main thing for me is I get such a good characterful sound out of them and they have very few dials to mess around with they feel like Soundtoys plugs. The great looking GUIs are a huge bonus I like my screen looking great. Don't miss out on Eiosis VMR plugins he makes most of the Slate Digital VMR plugins.
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Softube Console 1. It replaced many of my bread n butter plugins. Superb layout, eq is great and the saturation is the best ITB i've tried. Haven't tested the British model yet.
I like the Console 1 in theory... however it's out of my budget both in space and dollar amount right now.

I will check out the Satson and Britson... leaning towards slate right now !
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Head

Satson and Britson look very intriguing... I was thinking I would like an all in one with EQ and Compression but I supposed I could use different plugs after that insert. Price is attractive too.
Old 29th June 2016
Gee
Lives for gear

I would say they are all pretty good. I have the slate, sonimus and sknote offerings and pretty much rotate depending on how I feel. The craziest part about all of that is I always end up with a mix the client likes.

as is usually the case YMMV and most have a demo.

Have fun!
Old 29th June 2016
Gear Addict

I have Sonimus and it is solid and Klanghelm SDRR is another good option.
Old 29th June 2016
Lives for gear

+1 Klanghelm SDRR -- or even the free IVGI for light duties -- and particularly in tandem with another Console, Hornet's Analog Stage. The latter has three modes, Saturation, Autogain if desired, and there's a setting to determine the age of the transistors, etc This way you can have SDRR only on the Master or Subs, Hornet on them all, and their respective CPU footprints are very low, at least on my system. With Hornet's you can link the different instantiations, whereas that's not currently a feature of SDRR. This set up works quite well.

Both are fantastic, the pricing models are excellent, and I can't think of two better smaller developers to support given their respective public personas.
Old 29th June 2016
Gear Head

Thanks guys this is very helpful. I'll pick up a few this weekend and throw some on a mix and report back... if anyone else can suggest any other 3rd party plugin developers in general that would be great too!
Old 29th June 2016
The u-he Presswerk compressor is interesting it can be set up yo mimic anything but it's not a 100% emulation of anything.
Ik have some good hardware emulations in their T-Racks range. My favorite workflow though is Soundtoys and Slate Digital racks side by side I still have to add things inbetween like Cytomic and DMG Audio.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search