The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Old Focusrite Forte Suite (RTAS) -vs- Focusrite Red2 (AAX) Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Addict

The Old Focusrite Forte Suite (RTAS) -vs- Focusrite Red2 (AAX)

For those of you that miss using the old Focusrite Forte Suite for TDM/RTAS i have a found a solution!

I did a quick comparison with the new Focusrite Red EQ plug that are AAX. I heard that they were based off of the older Midnight Suite. The rumor was that the older Midnight Suite was the same code used for the Forte Suite. So this morning i did a test. Loaded up a track in Protools and set both of them to the same setting and changed the phase.

Take a look at what happens:

https://youtu.be/58g_98xYp6s

For those of us missing using the Forte Suite in PT11 & PT12, it looks like here is the solution.

Matt
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Addict

Did the same test with the Forte Comp vs the newer Red 3 plug

https://youtu.be/02jXymndqyE

Same Result!
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Addict

Wow interesting. So what same code different gui?
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist9891 View Post
Wow interesting. So what same code different gui?
Looks like it. The newer Red Series do handle hotter levels a lot better then the Forte Suite did. That's really the only difference, other then the GUI. They sound exactly the same.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

I suspected this after using the new Red series. The comp and EQ seemed exactly the same. On the EQ i liked the old gui better though. It was nice to see the curves and frequency graphed. Wish that was an optional skin.
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Addict

One thing I am confused about though - The Forte plugins were modeled after the ISA channel strips and console ( The consoles are very rare - there is a documentary about them on Youtube, and I believe Jack Joseph Puig is using one of those consoles ) and the red series was emulating their Red series hardware. As far as I know these are not the same units. So if they null that means either it just generic eq curves and comps with pretty GUIs or that one of those plugin suites is not emulating the hardware correctly. Or neither of these plugins are emulating the hardware....
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Addict

Here is a new test to verify if its just a Digital EQ or if there is harmonic distortion present. I used Q-Clone to test both the Forte Suite EQ and the Red EQ.

https://youtu.be/yl_X6chIJC0

Looks like there's more under the hood then a basic Digital EQ.
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Addict

From what i understand, the Red series EQ and Compressor were based off of the ISA series. (ISA110 -> Red 2 and the ISA130 -> Red 3)

Some minor differences with the circuits and a bright red face plate that is very easy to see in your outboard rack.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search