The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking for a new Interface (min. 12 I/Os) Audio Interfaces
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

looking for a new Interface (min. 12 I/Os)

Hi there guys,

I am looking for a new Interface.
Currently I am running 2x RME Firefaces 400 which I am pretty happy with but on the long term FireWire will die, so I am looking for a new USB/TB one.
What caught my eye were the followings:
-RME UFX
-RME Fireface 802
-Apollo 16
-Lynx Aurora 16

Lynx Aurora is probably pretty good but also a very old unit?!
Any more suggestions of units that I've might have overseend?
My favs so far are the RME ones as I love RME drivers stability and their TotalMix.
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

Hi,
RME all the way.
You can setup the one or both of the old 800 units as stand alone line level ADDA. So depending on what sample rate you use you will able to 28 analog I/O.

Both the FF802 and UFX will be a sound upgrade and feature upgrade. Rock solid low latency drivers on both PC and MAC.
The UFX+ look to be pretty awesome but not sure how much more it will be money wise yet. Not sure you will need all that extra I/O.

Chris
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris View Post
Both the FF802 and UFX will be a sound upgrade ..
Even that?
I was wondering if there were any audible differences between a RME FF400 and a UFX/802
Anybody with experience with this update?
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

There is not a lot of "Future Proofing" when it comes to computers. Apple likes to change it's I/O every now and then, switching to something new and likely proprietary to garner more profits (planned orphaning). PC's change over time too.

At this moment in time a PCIe interface card will give you the lowest latency and most future proofing for PC's. Apple has eliminated PCIe slots for many of their DAW options leaving you with a couple options, first is TB which has the negative of short cable length (9 feet) or spending a small fortune for optical TB which means you are likely recording / mixing next to a noise source, second is USB which has the negative of higher latency. Using RME USB will cut some of that latency down though.

The best way to pick what is best is to define needs better. Are you using a PC or Apple? If PC does it have PCI and/or PCIe slots? How many channels of conversion do you need (now and near future - you don't want to paint yourself into a corner)? At what sample rate(s) will you be using? Budget? These answers will define your best choices.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search