The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Interface for my needs? Audio Interfaces
Old 27th June 2016
Here for the gear

Interface for my needs?

Long story short, my interface apparently is damaged. I am forced to be in the market for a new one. I have a preamp and microphone and I really don't need a ton of inputs. Any suggestions? I am sure this has been covered but searching into the forums, folks are going into a bunch of numbers. I heard some samples and I really can't find a sample of hip-hop music to choose. Help me?

Thanks
Old 27th June 2016
1) What was your previous interface?
2) What is your budget?
3) How many in/outs do you need at max?

Without that being answered, youll get suggestions from Scarlet 2i2 - Bench Mark and Lavry
Old 27th June 2016
Here for the gear

The last interface I had was a MBOX3 PRO Firewire. I bypassed its preamps (I use a neve 1073) I am just a songwriter so typically I use one microphone so 1 in and 1 out is fine I suppose, my keyboard works with USB. I did all my work in 96khz which some say is overkill, (I have always done it this way because my PT10 is set this way).

My budget is fair now, so anything under 3k will be fine.

Thank you
Old 27th June 2016
Hi. I can vouch for RME as a very stable AI Look through their range of AI's and see if anything catches the eye.
All the best.
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

What computer platform are you working on? PC or Mac? If Mac, is it a newer machine with thunderbolt?

With a budget of 3k, might as well get down to specifics so we can help you narrow things down to the most appropriate selections.

RME, Universal Audio, and maybe even Apogee come to mind as brands that you'll probably want to focus your attention on, but the type of computer and OS you're working with will affect the actual choice.
Old 28th June 2016
Here for the gear

I am sorry.

PC Windows 10 Home
MSI X99S Plus motherboard Military
i7 5820k CPU
32GB DDR4 RAM
HIS DIGITAL 3GB GDDR5 Graphics
Firewire Capable

Pro Tools 10
Studio One 3 (backup)

Preamp is Neve1073dpa
DBX 163X Compressor (Modified)
Neumann TLM49 Microphone

Hope this helps you help me.

Thank you
Old 28th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargg View Post
Hi. I can vouch for RME as a very stable AI Look through their range of AI's and see if anything catches the eye.
All the best.
I saw PCI interfaces by them that seem appealing. I wonder if they have any noise issues? Are you familiar with their PCI products. Maybe PCI is a bad route, but being that my computer is pretty up to date, maybe it might be a good route?

Right now I'm using asio drivers with my onboard sound card from the motherboard. It isn't freezing or crashing but the sound doesn't seem detailed. Mind you I'm no mix engineer but I can even tell the detail is gone.

I also seen an UAD Apollo twin USB for windows, but it forces you to use their control panel simultaneously with pro tools, I rather work solely with my DAW of choice.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

The UA Apollo Twin DUO USB and RME UCX are two that you should do some reading up on. The Apollo is an attractive choice at the moment, but as usual RME stuff is simply rock solid, and the UCX is a very versatile unit.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophat View Post
I also seen an UAD Apollo twin USB for windows, but it forces you to use their control panel simultaneously with pro tools, I rather work solely with my DAW of choice.
You'll need to pick up another Avid interface in that case then. Anything 3rd party will require you to control stuff via their mixer software.
Old 28th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
You'll need to pick up another Avid interface in that case then. Anything 3rd party will require you to control stuff via their mixer software.
Alright, that is terrible news. Thank you much!
Old 29th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophat View Post
Alright, that is terrible news. Thank you much!
No problem. You should be able to find another M-Box 3 Pro online for super cheap.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search