The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Usb 3 repeater for audio? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 26th June 2016
Gear Addict

Usb 3 repeater for audio?

I have a UA twin/duo USB3 and I wanted a longer usb cable. Do the usb 3 cables with repeaters introduce an issue with audio (specifically delay compensation concerns)?
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaronhoffman View Post
I have a UA twin/duo USB3 and I wanted a longer usb cable. Do the usb 3 cables with repeaters introduce an issue with audio (specifically delay compensation concerns)?
No, there aren't any issues with added latency or so. Only issues, which you can possibly encounter are with general compatibility between various USB devices and its drivers.. this can exhibit via disconnections, dropouts, problems with enumerations etc.
There is always some chance, particular combination of HUB, repeater.. and interface won't work. So only pay attention for easy return policy from particular dealer.. because sometimes it just requires some testing.
Some extension cables has built-in HUB (you can find about it in windows device manager tree view, where your audio interface will be cascaded under additional device).. some cables are really just electrical repeaters (so provides just signal conditioning.. like amplification, equalization), but doesn't contains another USB device inside. First type can bring issues with bandwidth allocation sometimes (USB is serial bus, where devices shares the same bandwidth from host port). But it's really hard to guess about your combination.

What distance extension we're talking about..?

This is pricier solution, but typically works very well also for longer distances, it uses optical connection with electrical galvanic isolation between devices, which is very handy especially for longer (eg. room to room) runs.
https://www.corning.com/optical-cabl...al-cables.html

Michal
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear

What distance. Is 15 meters long enough?
Extends USB 3.0 Cable Distance with Icron's Spectra 3001-15
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
What distance. Is 15 meters long enough?
Extends USB 3.0 Cable Distance with Icron's Spectra 3001-15
I had used quite a few of different Icron boxes in last ten years, also in broadcast environment. I have to say, it doesn't have any compatibility problems and Besides one or two failed wall warts (quite normal things in 24/7 over several years span, it applies to almost any vendor), which can be easily replaced, it always worked very reliable and I can recommended.

To the OP..
Only thing with regards to their USB 3.0 extenders.. Those aren't USB 2.0 backward compatible! It works only with 3.0 devices. It won't be problem for point-to-point extension to particular Apollo, but just be aware of that, if you want to place some additional hub with 2.0 devices at your desk for example.. this won't be working.

Michal
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Addict

Great! Thanks guys for the response! I'm going to try one out.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search