The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Some questions for Omnisphere users Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear

Some questions for Omnisphere users

Hi guys,

I have a few questions for you regarding using Omnisphere:

-Can it be set up to be used as a vocoder at all? (I don't think so, but....)

-I'm using a Kurzweil pc3x to control Omni. Is there a way to set up global Omnisphere midi settings so that no matter which patch I pull up, the 10 slider controls on my Kurzweil will be globally set to control 10 different parameters? For example, any patch I load will default to having slider one control filter cutoff freq, slider two default to controlling the ring modulator mix level etc? I would just like to have Omni set up so I can go through patches and play with the sliders on my keyboard without having to tweak each patch individually. This way I could set up all the main parameters I normally tweak to be adjusted on the keyboard instead of going inside Omni. Is this possible?

-Lastly, do you ever notice Omnisphere lagging slightly when playing back midi in a session? I have a song I'm working on with some fast 16th notes repeating and they sound in tempo in short bursts, but when I have them just repeating through the prechorus of the song, they are lagging behind the beat and it has me stumped. Omni is set to follow host temp so I'm not sure what the deal is.

thank you,
Steve

Last edited by guittarzzan; 26th June 2016 at 05:22 AM..
Old 26th June 2016
Gear Addict

No to the vocoder. It's only a synth; can't input audio into it.

Yes to the shared parameters. Each parameter has midi learn and an assignment does not change from preset to preset.
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear

As far as I know, Omnisphere can only manipulate user audio that has been saved into an audio file first. But not live audio.
Old 26th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
Hi guys,

I have a few questions for you regarding using Omnisphere:

-Can it be set up to be used as a vocoder at all? (I don't think so, but....)

-I'm using a Kurzweil pc3x to control Omni. Is there a way to set up global Omnisphere midi settings so that no matter which patch I pull up, the 10 slider controls on my Kurzweil will be globally set to control 10 different parameters? For example, any patch I load will default to having slider one control filter cutoff freq, slider two default to controlling the ring modulator mix level etc? I would just like to have Omni set up so I can go through patches and play with the sliders on my keyboard without having to tweak each patch individually. This way I could set up all the main parameters I normally tweak to be adjusted on the keyboard instead of going inside Omni. Is this possible?

-Lastly, do you ever notice Omnisphere lagging slightly when playing back midi in a session? I have a song I'm working on with some fast 16th notes repeating and they sound in tempo in short bursts, but when I have them just repeating through the prechorus of the song, they are lagging behind the beat and it has me stumped. Omni is set to follow host temp so I'm not sure what the deal is.

thank you,
Steve
It's a sample-based synthesizer with no audio ins. there might be away to import an audio sample as a waveform but I don't think it would work the way you're hoping.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. I wish Omni could do vocoder effects. With all the amazing sounds it has, it'd be a blast to try using some of them in that way.
Also, anyone else have any issues with Omni no keeping up with the tempo in a session when playing back midi?

tks,
Steve
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Yes I've noticed the sync issue on occasion when i'm taxing my system. If it happens I just solo and bounce.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search