The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Maschine 2.4.6 update!!!! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 22nd June 2016
Lives for gear

Maschine 2.4.6 update!!!!

So i downloaded this update and noticed a better looking cartoon-ish looking machine with improved handling and CPU usage! The scenes are now more flexible to work with as well!

Looks like Maschine is really getting there!

Since they didn't mention everything that was put in this update, was wondering if my fellow gearslutz noticed any improvements on their end or are still waiting for their wish list items?

Last edited by classictunz; 22nd June 2016 at 02:29 PM..
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Nut

NI didn't mention everything, but there's still a sizable list of changes and recognized bugs here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...le-now.271328/

Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic orange View Post
NI didn't mention everything, but there's still a sizable list of changes and recognized bugs here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...le-now.271328/

Very nice list! Things like seperating controls for scenes and sequenced data was a very smart move, also adding a loop bar the right way was over due!

Simple things like cycle mode on the transport is another feature that should've been on Maschine.

I know they don't want Maschine to be Cubase or Logic but it shouldn't be crippled either. Hopefully they will allow us to drag and drop or move scenes without the controller! It takes long to move 1 scene of many with the controller. A simple mouse grab can sometimes do the trick.

But having the controller option will still be a plus when you need to copy and paste from Maschine itself.

Last edited by classictunz; 23rd June 2016 at 02:49 PM..
Old 23rd June 2016
Gear Addict

Moving scenes from the controller is very fast. Push one button and twist the position knob to move it where you want. Couldn't be easier. You can move scenes with the mouse already too. Unless you mean something else?
Old 23rd June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Geek View Post
Moving scenes from the controller is very fast. Push one button and twist the position knob to move it where you want. Couldn't be easier. You can move scenes with the mouse already too. Unless you mean something else?
o maybe talking about copying scene with the mouse and a key command.

The controller isn't fast for everyone, I guess it depends on your workflow and if you're using Maschine I'm a daw.

No one is using the Maschine controller 100% when loaded in say Logic.

So going back and forth to Logic and Maschine happens often. Reaching for Maschine isn't always faster if your mouse is already there on the scene.

Again both ways would be great and I doubt it will take away from having hands on with Maschine, it just helps others include Maschine. Not as a center piece bit as an addition to my production.
Old 23rd June 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
I know they don't want Maschine to be Cubase or Logic...
Why not? I've been thinking for a long time that NI would have the chops to come up with a killer DAW.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Why not? I've been thinking for a long time that NI would have the chops to come up with a killer DAW.
It sounded good saying it at the time lol.

If they keep it locked to the controller the way that it is, it'll never compete.

I haven't used it without looking at the computer screen, so for me, if they could open up things a bit more I'd be happy...
Old 24th June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
o maybe talking about copying scene with the mouse and a key command.

The controller isn't fast for everyone, I guess it depends on your workflow and if you're using Maschine I'm a daw.

No one is using the Maschine controller 100% when loaded in say Logic.

So going back and forth to Logic and Maschine happens often. Reaching for Maschine isn't always faster if your mouse is already there on the scene.

Again both ways would be great and I doubt it will take away from having hands on with Maschine, it just helps others include Maschine. Not as a center piece bit as an addition to my production.
The controller is fast. Maybe you have the Mikro or something? You complained it was slow at the function when it is not. Saying it's easier to stay with the mouse since you are already using it with Logic is one thing but saying a specific function is slow from the controller is another.

Also, you can duplicate the scene from the software as well as move the scene easily. Maybe you are trying to copy a pattern instead of the whole scene? Pattern duplicate is there with the software too. Only thing not there is copy pattern to a different group. You also can't move patterns about in the top arrange area but you can do it in the pattern picker.

Check the manual as all this is there on the GUI.
Edit: Check the pattern manager and scene manager drop downs.

Last edited by Gear Geek; 24th June 2016 at 01:32 AM..
Old 24th June 2016
Gear Addict

As far as the DAW thing, why try to make Maschine Cubase or Logic when we already have Cubase and Logic? Maschine is desirable because it is not Logic or Cubase. Otherwise, why are you even using it? Two totally different things.

That being said, there is still plenty room for improving Maschine and you don't need to ditch the hardware to do it.
Also, if not for the controller, Maschine would not exist. There is really no point in Maschine outside the hardware as you could just use Battery, Geist etc in your DAW. If you just want the NI preset management, NI make Komplete Kontrol keyboards or even just the Komplete Kontrol software that is free with Komplete that has Battery included.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The controller is fast. Maybe you have the Mikro or something? You complained it was slow at the function when it is not.
it's slow to me because I have to work with Logic, let the mouse go, get to the proper screen on Maschine(not Mikro) when I could just grab the scene I want hold option and copy! No I can not move scenes with the mouse(only patterns). Maschine is only fast for people that use Maschine as the center piece for their studio.

It's only an addition for me, and being a Komplete 10 ultimate owner I thought Maschine would be a good inclusion. I mean it's ok, but there's a few guys around here that defuse people opinions on Maschine when we know how we feel about the platform.

It's getting there but it isn't there yet....

I can't drag and drop scenes or drag and copy them. I'll check the Manual...
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
As far as the DAW thing, why try to make Maschine Cubase or Logic when we already have Cubase and Logic? Maschine is desirable because it is not Logic or Cubase. Otherwise, why are you even using it? Two totally different things.

That being said, there is still plenty room for improving Maschine and you don't need to ditch the hardware to do it.
Also, if not for the controller, Maschine would not exist. There is really no point in Maschine outside the hardware as you could just use Battery, Geist etc in your DAW. If you just want the NI preset management, NI make Komplete Kontrol keyboards or even just the Komplete Kontrol software that is free with Komplete that has Battery included.
All daws compete at some point, and Maschine will continue to add the features it needs. I'm the mean time I have to read guys like you defend an incomplete daw. I mean honestly, they just added a cycle mode on the transport. Both Cubase and Logic have one, so why did you add it now after 5 years?

This is rediculous having to deal with posters not willing to admit that NI is taking way to long to add basic features.

So if you want to help me, help me understand why did it take NI 5 years to add the cycle button? Did someone vote it out and now has changed his/her mind?

Who making these decisions to leave the most basic things out?
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Also in the software, in the piano roll(with the pencil tool) why must I be locked to drawing on the straight line? Why can't I draw diagonal?

Come on now, and I wasn't going to go there on this thread...
Old 24th June 2016
Gear Addict

Not defending NI at all. Just saying that just like an MPC, ASR MV etc, Maschine is a different product than Logic or Cubase and the whole point of it is the hardware. Also you keep saying you can't move scenes with the mouse and you can. Just drag the scene header. There is no copy command for scenes but duplicate will do the same either with hardware or the mouse.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

It's not so different, NI it WILL eventually add the features that are missing. The proof is with this last update! They are just adding these features at a snails pace.

Anyway I like Maschine and I'm enjoying the process but it takes a back seat until it's actually a finished product.

But again why add a loop cycle toggle and seperate the loop bar from the scenes so late in the game? Like who decided to leave that out at the board meetings

But sorry if I came off strong but this update has almost half of the complaints resolved while last year, people like you were saying things similar to what you're saying now.

Can you really Maschine 3.0 will not be closer to Logic and Cubase? No you can't, so why harp that point now?

Also, we both know that we will be able to record audio tracks directly in Maschine very soon! It's written all over the audio input section of the preferences.

At that point will it not be a full daw? Of coarse it would! I'm actually excited about it, and waiting for it happen

Last edited by classictunz; 24th June 2016 at 04:50 PM..
Old 24th June 2016
Gear Head

I own komplete 10u and maschine studio but I prefer to create quickly in the maschine software then export the audio to mix it in logic.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSinBTonez View Post
I own komplete 10u and maschine studio but I prefer to create quickly in the maschine software then export the audio to mix it in logic.
Yup that's what I do! I create clips then drag them to Logic as well!

Now that Maschine has loop points indepentant from the scenes, I can now feel less constricted and possibly set the loop length to match Logic's!
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Nut

Anyone having issues with Maschine 2.4.6 in Pro Tools 12.5??? I just submitted a support ticket to NI regarding this issue. I can no longer work on any of my previous Pro Tools projects that use Maschine (which is pretty much all of them). It's giving me the DEA 7054 error. My projects will open, however, Pro Tools de-activates Maschine. I already tried changing the default DAE preferred memory size but nothing works. Never had this issue with Maschine before the update. It doesn't matter even if Maschine is the only plugin instantiated in a blank project. It's definitely not a resources issue with my Macbook Pro. Never saw the issues and warnings regarding the Maschine 2.4.5 update otherwise I would've waited another 5-6 months before updating to 2.4.6. I'm usually ALWAYS on top of these kinds of things... especially with newly released updates for plugins causing all kinds major of issues. I've only seen a couple other people in the NI Maschine forum that are having this exact same problem. My Macbook Pro is a new model running OSX El Capitan 2.6GHz 16GB RAM and 512SSD with 2 1TBSSD drives in a thunderbolt enclosure and my interface is an Apogee Duet 2. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is a wide-spread issue.
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Maniac

I upgraded from Maschine Mikro to Machine Studio back in January. I had been using Maschine for 2 years.

Also In January I bought Ableton Live and the Push 2. I haven't used Maschine since. My Maschine Studio collects dust in my studio.

Hopefully NI will update the software so that the creative possibilities and workflow is on par with Ableton.
Old 2nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgod View Post
I upgraded from Maschine Mikro to Machine Studio back in January. I had been using Maschine for 2 years.

Also In January I bought Ableton Live and the Push 2. I haven't used Maschine since. My Maschine Studio collects dust in my studio.

Hopefully NI will update the software so that the creative possibilities and workflow is on par with Ableton.
I believe you! All I hear from Maschine fanboys is "read the manual" but I've been making music since 1989 and I use all daws.

Things are a little better having an independent loop bar. So I'm going to try in logic and set the loop bazar the entire length of the project the same way Logic's loop bar is set! Any changes with start position Maschine should sync perfectly.

If that happens Maschine would be much more useable for me.

I have a few other problems, but I'll post them later.
Old 2nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsolo View Post
Anyone having issues with Maschine 2.4.6 in Pro Tools 12.5??? I just submitted a support ticket to NI regarding this issue. I can no longer work on any of my previous Pro Tools projects that use Maschine (which is pretty much all of them). It's giving me the DEA 7054 error. My projects will open, however, Pro Tools de-activates Maschine. I already tried changing the default DAE preferred memory size but nothing works. Never had this issue with Maschine before the update. It doesn't matter even if Maschine is the only plugin instantiated in a blank project. It's definitely not a resources issue with my Macbook Pro. Never saw the issues and warnings regarding the Maschine 2.4.5 update otherwise I would've waited another 5-6 months before updating to 2.4.6. I'm usually ALWAYS on top of these kinds of things... especially with newly released updates for plugins causing all kinds major of issues. I've only seen a couple other people in the NI Maschine forum that are having this exact same problem. My Macbook Pro is a new model running OSX El Capitan 2.6GHz 16GB RAM and 512SSD with 2 1TBSSD drives in a thunderbolt enclosure and my interface is an Apogee Duet 2. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is a wide-spread issue.
Sorry for your loss...
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sorry for your loss...
oh to be young and feel loves keen sting... looks like it's time to dust off Logic.
Old 2nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh to be young and feel loves keen sting... looks like it's time to dust off Logic.
Haha Logic and Machine are a dream come true! Logic Loops with machine Drums are awesome!

I have Komplete 10 ultimate so I'm really loving.
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Haha Logic and Machine are a dream come true! Logic Loops with machine Drums are awesome!

I have Komplete 10 ultimate so I'm really loving.
Yea I really love the drummer feature in Logic. It's a really quick way to get some great acoustic drums going. I have Komplete 9 and really love what it and Maschine 2 brings to any DAW. Luckily I was able to login to my NI account and find the Maschine 2.4 dmg. Now I'm able to open up and work on all my Pro Tools projects. Gave me a good scare for a while there...
Old 3rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Luckily I was able to login to my NI account and find the Maschine 2.4 dmg. Now I'm able to open up and work on all my Pro Tools projects. Gave me a good scare for a while there...
cool man I'm glad you're up and running!
Old 3rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Classictunz -- ADSR has some pretty good videos on YT by two dudes, EchoSoundWorks & a chap from the UK. Specifically, the videos focus on Maschine & Logic Pro used in tandem with one another. They're pretty good on their own, and not even related to their courses for purchase. These look good; they focus on the mechanics of getting the two to play with one another seamlessly, not the actual production itself:

Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I believe you! All I hear from Maschine fanboys is "read the manual" but I've been making music since 1989 and I use all daws.

Things are a little better having an independent loop bar. So I'm going to try in logic and set the loop bazar the entire length of the project the same way Logic's loop bar is set! Any changes with start position Maschine should sync perfectly.

If that happens Maschine would be much more useable for me.

I have a few other problems, but I'll post them later.

I usually start my projections in Ableton and port them over to Logic or Reason 8 to record vocals.

There are two features in Ableton that Ive been waiting for NI to update with Maschine and they still haven't done it.

1. Being able to convert Audio to Midi instantly. OMG I love that feature in Ableton and

2. being able to to warp and sync audio into your project on the fly without having to stop to time stretch it. That saves so much time. Keeps the workflow and the creative possibilities are endless.
Old 3rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgod View Post

1. Being able to convert Audio to Midi instantly. OMG I love that feature in Ableton and

2. being able to to warp and sync audio into your project on the fly without having to stop to time stretch it. That saves so much time. Keeps the workflow and the creative possibilities are endless.
Yea man!!! Both are worth having! I'm waiting for those features!

Time stretch is a must IMHO. You can change the tempo based on the current tempo and you can now slice loops with the pads but Kontakt locks to tempo pretty well.

But let me play with Maschine's time stretch before I comment on it. I avoid it as much as I can as I load up Kontakt because I know the workflow.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search