The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the best VST for E-Drums? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th June 2016
Gear Head

What's the best VST for E-Drums?

My objective: To record/produce, often in an indie rock genre, with e-drums that can pass (to most) for acoustic drums

My (relevant) current set-up:

A (Decent) Mac Mini
Logic Pro X
Reason 7 with Drums 2.0 Refill
DTX502 Yamaha e-drums (w/ a nice snare, rubber elsewhere)

My Options (that I know of):

1. Record Module Sounds
2. Use Logic's Drum Kit Designer
3. Use Reason's Kong Drum Designer
4. Use Reason's Drums 2.0 Refill
5. Buy a new drum software to link.

Some New Software Options:

BFD3
Superior Drummer 2.0
Addictive Drums 2.0
Oceanway Silver package
Slate SSD4
Something else???

I'm totally overwhelmed here. If anybody has some experience and can clear things up or point me in a better direction, I would really appreciate that!
Old 20th June 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Well, I'm a trained drummer and I have several libraries, some of them quite expensive. However, the library I find most comfortable and realistic to play is the free Sennheiser DrumMic'a! (silly name, I know).

Registration is in German:

Sennheiser - Kopfhörer & Headsets - Mikrofone - Integrated Systems

Old 20th June 2016
Gear Head

Thank you! -- I had never heard of it before. I'll look into this right away.
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

I have Superior Drummer 2 but wow, gonna try that DrumMic'a!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Well, I'm a trained drummer and I have several libraries, some of them quite expensive. However, the library I find most comfortable and realistic to play is the free Sennheiser DrumMic'a! (silly name, I know).

Old 20th June 2016
Gear Maniac

I'd say get Ezdrummer 2. The new toontrack engine/samples sound great and the room they recorded it in is fantastic. I still have to find a Drum Vst that sound as good, especially when fitted into a mix.

Furthermore, i think the stock kits that come with Ezdrummer 2 are very versatile and might be all you need for the style you're aiming for.
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

This is absolutely insane wtf!
Old 21st June 2016
I would always recommend Toontrack drums.... and especially EZDrummer for an inexpensive great drum VSTi, but for FREE that Sennheiser DrumMic'a! looks very decent.
Old 21st June 2016
Lives for gear

If you want the ultimate in drum VST, please check out BFD3. If you know how to mix drums, this software is amazing. If you don't, the presets will probably work for you. I use it and have almost every EXPANSION pack they offer (and a few 3rd party). The Andy Johns expansion pack is pretty AMAZING.

I don't use eDRUMs but the user community is full of eDRUM users. Check out their forum if you are interested. It is quite active and useful.

Jim
Old 21st June 2016
Gear Addict

Edrums for me work great in BFD3, SD2/EZD2, AD 2, SSD 4 is pretty responsive too. Kontakt libraries generally aren't as good (but still can be quite good) as the drum specific drum VSTis but Drumsonic 2 and Drumsonic Luxury play great. Pretty much spoiled these days.

I'd go with the interface and sounds you like best.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Slate SSD5 should be out soon. Take a look at that.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

For playing I like Addictive drums better, it comes with mapping presents for edrums, and tweaking it is easy.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear
I originally purchased BFD based on a review that stated the following:
"BFD was the only software that occasionally made me turn my head thinking there was a real drum in the room."

I agree with that. once in a while I turn my head as a result.

After using it for a few years and upgrading to BFD2 and 3, I have yet to find another drum package that has as realistic of sounds. The software is very deep and does take time to use vs. other options.
Old 6th September 2016
Gear Head

Revisiting this thread. I can't remember what pushed me in this direction, but I wound up getting Superior Drummer 2. I've had a very positive experience so far. That said, after re-reading some of these posts, I can't help but wonder how it stacks up against BFD3. Maybe one day I'll find out.

Last edited by rumnogg; 6th September 2016 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: didn't realize that the smoking guy animation winks at everybody/didn't feel like winking at everybody
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Head

Wow, okay, just to re-emphasize-- I went with Superior Drummer 2 because I felt like the consensus at the time was that the drums sounded just as realistic as BFD3. However, I just poked around some other corners of the internet, and the overwhelming opinion seems to be that BFD3 is the most realistic drum VST.

Egh. Best-case-scenario, Toontrack wakes up and releases version 3, which blows everything else out of the water and comes at a discount to SD2 users. A guy can dream.
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Addict

Superior 2 uses samples for bleeds, etc (so, it's mic'd source..doesn't get much more "real" than that). Afaik, BFD does not (it synthesizes them). It may mean slightly less flexibility here or there, but I prefer S2's out of the box drum sounds to BFD3's. S2's full-quality resource overhead is also also WAY lower for me (load a full-quality kit in BFD3, and...9GB of RAM?!? vs S2's 1.5g with all bleed samples on?).

Plus, it's always nice to hear "man, those drums..." type compliments from fellow audio nerds (hint: artsacoustic cl-series or even u-he's presswork on whatever virtual drums you use).

On the flip side, BFD3's sequencer is pretty slick. And it's awfully nice to run in standalone mode and sequence drums.

Anyway, "best" will always be down to you. If you dig S2, rock on. If you feel you're missing something, try other stuff till you find the one that flips your switches.
Old 7th September 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldammit View Post
Superior 2 uses samples for bleeds, etc (so, it's mic'd source..doesn't get much more "real" than that). Afaik, BFD does not (it synthesizes them). It may mean slightly less flexibility here or there, but I prefer S2's out of the box drum sounds to BFD3's. S2's full-quality resource overhead is also also WAY lower for me (load a full-quality kit in BFD3, and...9GB of RAM?!? vs S2's 1.5g with all bleed samples on?).

Plus, it's always nice to hear "man, those drums..." type compliments from fellow audio nerds (hint: artsacoustic cl-series or even u-he's presswork on whatever virtual drums you use).

On the flip side, BFD3's sequencer is pretty slick. And it's awfully nice to run in standalone mode and sequence drums.

Anyway, "best" will always be down to you. If you dig S2, rock on. If you feel you're missing something, try other stuff till you find the one that flips your switches.
Hooo, this is majorly comforting, especially packaged with the hint. I'm looking forward to exploring things in that direction.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

I have the Yamaha DTX562 kit here which uses the same DTX502 module as your kit. I also own EzDrummer 2.0,Superior 2 + most of the EZX's and used to have Addictive Drums 2.
I personally preferred the sound of the Toontrack products and love the ease of use that EzDrummer has! I don't really use Superior 2 anymore as EzDrummer is so quick to use, sounds great and plays so well with the DTX562.
However, for sound the Vi Elements Core Kit sounds amazing!

Home

I haven't used it with my Yamaha kit yet as I didn't have it when I first got Core Kit. I was originally intending to use Core Kit with midi keyboard but it didn't offer any full kit mappings for midi keyboard and I ended up uninstalling it.
I keep meaning to install DrumMic'a as I downloaded that when it came out but haven't got round to it yet.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear
I'm a trained pro drummer and I've done E.Drumming for years.

Here's my experience so far.

1. Monitor your drum module NOT the Virtual Drum plugin. The difference in feel is huge, because your module will have way lower latency than your computer system.

2. Always record you drum track first and build instruments on top of the E. Drum bed track - the reason is as follows -

No matter how good your dumming is E. Drums produce performances that are never ever going to be as tight and slick as an acoustic kit due to the fact an acoustic kit as 0.00 ms latency!

Therefore if you add instruments on top of your E. Drums bed track, for example bass, guitar, keys etc then they all play to and move with these slight inaccuracies with the effect of the drum track sounding much more natural and organic.

If you don't beleive me try it for yourself, record a keyboard groove and add E. drums on top then do it the other way around, record an E. Drum bed track and overdub the keyboard part on top of that and hear how much more natural both the drums and keyboards sound.

As for plugins.

They'll all different.

Superior 2 maps very well to E. Drums and sound good.

Slate SDD4 is great for rock stuff - it's kinda already pre mixed a bit and sounds already polished.

For me the most realistic is BDF3 - the drums are more raw and detailed in their sampling - I think the snare drum alone is like 750Mb!

The only thing with BFD3 is you really need to know how to mix acoustic drums becasue in effect that's what you have there in BFD3 - some people say BFD3 doesnt sit well in the mix and that's because they can't mix acoustic drums in the firest place.

Good luck.
Old 7th September 2016
Lives for gear

The only problem with monitoring your module is that the sounds aren't as good, and as we all know if it doesn't sound good as your playing it won't inspire you. As with all Sims; YOU NEED A COMPUTER/INTERFACE THAT WILL GIVE YOU VERY LOW LATENCY.

If you have a good low latency interface , use a good DAW, (ASIO) then you can play with the sounds form your VSTI. Drums ae no different from, keyboards, guitar etc in that you can't get the right feel if there's too much latency.

MC
Old 8th September 2016
For myself, even though monitoring through a module may have lower latency, I choose to monitor through my drum software VSTi, I feel it's low enough enough latency. I use multiple Yamaha DTXpress kits/modules combined, and all modules go into a Motu midi router, then into my DAW. Each of my 4 drum modules has their own set of trigger pads assigned certain midi note numbers, so that I can trigger the largest of software drum VSTi's. I have somewhere around 40 triggers available.

I never play/record my e-drum parts before I have a very good arrangement going. I get a better vibe drumming along with tracks of a song well under progress. I'll typically start a song by using some pre-made midi loops with the drum VSTi's (say EZDrummer etc), work on my other midi instrument VSTi/tracks, then replace the loops with my own e-drumming/recording.

Drums aren't my 1st instrument for the record.
Old 8th September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouroki View Post
This is absolutely insane wtf!

i KNOW!

where the heck did this come from.

and how DARE they not charge anything for it?

perceived value, dontcha know.

if it doesn't cost $299 or $349 it can't be any gut (senn ref)!

seriously, though, this looks and sounds pretty darned nice.

Sennheiser DrumMic'a!

very cool!

update:

just watched a few demos on Sennheiser DrumMic'a!. pretty fantastic - i think i'd say HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for those just checking out drum VIs and wanting a realistic (not overprocessed) percussion track.

only a few minutes into this, curious about using other KIT PACKS (for lack of better) with it.

i love it - it's an easy shill for Sennheiser mics, but who cares - great way to learn about their product line (which is stellar anyway) with a fantastic drum tool.

nice!
Old 8th September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 View Post
Slate SSD5 should be out soon. Take a look at that.

best comedy post of 2016!
Old 8th September 2016
Gear Addict

For quick laying down of ideas i use Sonivox Tony Coleman drums lately. Loads fast, sets up fast.
Old 8th September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I have the Yamaha DTX562 kit here which uses the same DTX502 module as your kit. I also own EzDrummer 2.0,Superior 2 + most of the EZX's and used to have Addictive Drums 2.
I personally preferred the sound of the Toontrack products and love the ease of use that EzDrummer has! I don't really use Superior 2 anymore as EzDrummer is so quick to use, sounds great and plays so well with the DTX562.
However, for sound the Vi Elements Core Kit sounds amazing!

Home

I haven't used it with my Yamaha kit yet as I didn't have it when I first got Core Kit. I was originally intending to use Core Kit with midi keyboard but it didn't offer any full kit mappings for midi keyboard and I ended up uninstalling it.
I keep meaning to install DrumMic'a as I downloaded that when it came out but haven't got round to it yet.
damn it - i gotta quit reading these forums.

CORE KIT looks pretty friggin' nice too.

so many options for bonehead musicians these days - bordering on obscene.

so, from my brief encounter with CORE KIT - i am assuming it's a Kontakt instrument.

will be checking this out HARD today.

thanks!

update: need to remember what thread i am in.

After watching some vids on Core Kit, i realized - hey, this would be fantastic for real drummers - which i am not.

sorry for the intrusion, i'll be going back to the SSD5 thread now.
Old 9th September 2016
SSD4 or Superior,though I only have EZ2 of toontrack,it's nice the composition side,Addictive and Addictive2 that come with Sonar are just a tweaking nightmare to me,as is BFD.

The best easiest gutsiest sounds definitely SSD4 with better hats/cymbals from others.

Is this FREE Sennheiser drum able to be demoed if you cannot read German?
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Addict

Demo a free program?

I just installed it and spent about an hour with it.

Very impressive.

Sennheiser just raised the bar with this thing.

I'm pretty sure it's one kit. But lots of presets that are very nice.

2 mallets up!
Old 9th September 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodshonf View Post
I'm pretty sure it's one kit.
Yup, one kit. Over 100 multi-samples on the snare, and the Sabian cymbals are very responsive, too. I mostly use the Sennheiser for practising jazz grooves.
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yup, one kit. Over 100 multi-samples on the snare, and the Sabian cymbals are very responsive, too. I mostly use the Sennheiser for practising jazz grooves.

snappy sounding kit!
Old 9th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
The only problem with monitoring your module is that the sounds aren't as good, and as we all know if it doesn't sound good as your playing it won't inspire you. As with all Sims; YOU NEED A COMPUTER/INTERFACE THAT WILL GIVE YOU VERY LOW LATENCY.

If you have a good low latency interface , use a good DAW, (ASIO) then you can play with the sounds form your VSTI. Drums ae no different from, keyboards, guitar etc in that you can't get the right feel if there's too much latency.

MC
I have programmed my Roland drums to sound great - the new TD30 module is utterly fantastic for a player.

It's true it's not as flexible as a VI but sound wise and playabiltiy wise it is fantasitc to monitor whilst playing.

I record the MIDI stream and then use a VI.

The result is a really great drum track very close to an acoustic kit, not as good of course but 95% there.

When it comes to latecny in respect to vocals and drumming then 1ms latency is 1ms latency to much for me!

Critical pitch and timing is everything to me and I'm not willing to compromise in those two area's.

The drums are the core of my music and the groove I can achive of E. Drums only works for me monitoring my Roland module anything else for me is a compromise too far.

Same with vocals only analog monitoring will hack it, I don't want to have to edit pitch afterwards if I can avoid it!
Old 9th September 2016
Gear Addict

new Roland V Drum announced today.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search