The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves SSL Channel vs Metric Halo Channel Strip Channel Strip Plugins
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Question Waves SSL Channel vs Metric Halo Channel Strip

I've been working for a while using Waves SSL Channel on my drum channel (Kick, Snare, Toms, Overheads, Hi-Hat) and I never been dissapointed but it takes a lot of CPU though... I just visited the Metric Halo website and found the Channel Strip interesting. I was wondering if any of you compared it to the Waves SSL Channel and also if the Metric Halo plugin is less agressive on the CPU than the Waves.
Old 15th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Channelstrip is great on drums, particularly the compressor. Just be aware there is no hard date on when there will be accel chip or UB compatibility.
Old 15th February 2007
I thought ChannelStrip UB was already out...
Old 8th May 2009
Lives for gear

2 years later.... what so Slutz?!?!

Ok, all you MH & Waves users (oh yeah UAD 1/2 users too), that have comp'd both. How do the effects/plugs of the Metric Halo DSP , Waves & UA compare. Thoughts?
Old 8th May 2009
Gear Maniac

I think the Waves SSL channelstrip is very CPU friendly today
Old 8th May 2009
Lives for gear

yup, if you think waves channel is intensive, you need to upgrade to quad-core( or dual core).
Old 10th May 2009
Lives for gear

Haven't tried MH's channel strip, but the UAD 88rs stomps the Waves SSL. Just discovered that ugly truth tonight after demoing the 88rs. I guess the SSL is getting demoted to background synths.
Old 10th May 2009
Gear Addict

I used to use MH Channelstrip when I was still in PT 5.1. I loved - essential to everything I did, particular drums. Nowadays I am using SSL E Channel and can compare them pretty well. The E-Channel is a tad more agressive and full in the lowend whereas the MH Halo Channelstrip is a little more open sounding. Both share very similiar characteristics though. Similiar great gate, similiar snappy compressor and absolutely usable EQ. I think you can interchange them pretty much and won't miss the other too much, if that SSL Snap is what you are looking for. The MH Channelstrip may be a tad more flexible, though!
Old 10th May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Haven't tried MH's channel strip, but the UAD 88rs stomps the Waves SSL. Just discovered that ugly truth tonight after demoing the 88rs. I guess the SSL is getting demoted to background synths.
Its a totally different sounding eq....there's definitely a place for both.
Old 10th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Its a totally different sounding eq....there's definitely a place for both.
I agree. I just have never liked boosting the mids or highs on the Waves SSL. Subtractive EQ, Low end boost, and the dynamics section are nice. For my purposes, the 88rs just outperforms.
Old 10th March 2010
Here for the gear

Channel strip

I use Channel strip since a long time as in the box substitute for SSL for In the box mixing and I always found it adequate. The double precision eq sounds really wel and is far more frexible than the standard ssl eq. I never used the waves plugin. Maybe in the future I would consider buying it but it's too expensive so I'll stick with the metric halo where i can replicate all my tricks including all the side chain stuff (even better actually since I don't have to loose some eq for the side chain)
I can say that MH channel strip is quite powerful
Built for Pro Tools
ChannelStrip 2.2 is a complete overhaul of our 56k DSP code and Pro Tools plugin implementation. Redesigned from the ground up to take advantage of all the modern features and technologies of Pro Tools 7.3 while still providing support for earlier versions of Pro Tools, ChannelStrip for Pro Tools is now Universal Binary and supports all Pro Tools hardware including:
  • Mix
  • HD
  • Accel PCI — All DSP types
  • Accel PCIe — All DSP types
ChannelStrip also includes RTAS support, which means that you can seamlessly move your processing between the TDM DSPs and the native processor on your workstation. (from the metric halo website)
Old 10th March 2010
Lives for gear

Holy thread-resurrection, Batman! heh
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Head

I've been using this plug-in for a while now, but mainly just for the EQ section. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason I just cannot get the compressor to work like I want it to. Always alters the sound too much. So my go to set up has been ChannelStrip EQ and then the SmackLE compressor. Anyone have any good tips for the compressor? I feel fairly confident with my understanding and use of compression, but I just cannot get this plug to work to its full extent for me.
Old 19th March 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
I agree. I just have never liked boosting the mids or highs on the Waves SSL. Subtractive EQ, Low end boost, and the dynamics section are nice. For my purposes, the 88rs just outperforms.
The 88RS is great and more versatile, but I really love boosting the highs with the Waves SSL Channel. That agressive, yet pleasing highs are unique! The overall EQ of the SSL Channel is very usable, but I find the compressor very one-trick-ponyesque. I never got my head around the fast-attack-mode of the compressor and wished it had an adjustable attack time. The SSL's gate is fantastic.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM01231 View Post
I've been using this plug-in for a while now, but mainly just for the EQ section. I'm not sure what it is, but for some reason I just cannot get the compressor to work like I want it to. Always alters the sound too much. So my go to set up has been ChannelStrip EQ and then the SmackLE compressor. Anyone have any good tips for the compressor? I feel fairly confident with my understanding and use of compression, but I just cannot get this plug to work to its full extent for me.
Make sure you use the compressor in fast mode if you are going for drums. Then just the usual stuff in bringing the threshold right down when selecting the attack speed. The ability to adjust the attack in ms is the biggest advantage with CS over Waves SSL for me.
Old 12th January 2013
Gear Addict

To me, MH Channelstrip EQ seems to have a sound that works very well w pop music. Low end tight but never gets very thick.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Hello

Both the MH Channel and Waves SSL are very capable, though I find that i tend to use the MH Channel when looking for a crispy 'smack' sound and the Waves when looking for a smooth 'round' sound.

regards

K
Old 2nd April 2013
Lives for gear

Hey folks!

I have a technical, but perhaps a stupid question about the routing of Waves SSL E-Channel I have read the manual but I'm not completely sure.

If I just want to use the filters and eq section, does the routing matter? I noticed that there is also bypass section for dynamics, so it should give "more" flat signal.
Old 5th April 2014
Lives for gear

Just a heads-up that MH ChannelStrip 3 is on sale for $30 right now:
No Brainer Deal by RSPE Audio

Add another $15 and you can get TransientControl too.

64/32bit, AAX / AU, etc… Enjoy!
Old 5th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Hey folks!

I have a technical, but perhaps a stupid question about the routing of Waves SSL E-Channel I have read the manual but I'm not completely sure.

If I just want to use the filters and eq section, does the routing matter? I noticed that there is also bypass section for dynamics, so it should give "more" flat signal.
I don't think so at least I never noticed a difference. You could prove it by copying a track and flipping the phase on one.
Old 5th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Just a heads-up that MH ChannelStrip 3 is on sale for $30 right now:
No Brainer Deal by RSPE Audio

Add another $15 and you can get TransientControl too.

64/32bit, AAX / AU, etc… Enjoy!
Thanks, junior.
Old 19th April 2014
Lives for gear

bought them both in bundle for$45. Channelstrip sound pretty good. CPU load close to zero (similar to waves). eq sounds open, MIO compressor is great sounding and versatile. good quality metering (RMS and peak together). transient is also good. for that price is a steal
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
Hey folks!

This Dyn to Bypass button does not remove processing at all (I mean in will not be equal to out). It switches off the compressor, but still emulates the channel characteristics.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search