The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bug Native Instruments VC 76 & Solid Bus Comp? Dynamics Plugins
Old 14th June 2016
Here for the gear

Bug Native Instruments VC 76 & Solid Bus Comp?

Hi everyone here on Gearslutz! It’s my first post here and it’s regarding the NI plugins Solid Bus Comp and VC 76 Vintage Compressor.
Maybe I’m wrong but I think they are buggy because the Ratio control doesn’t work as I would expect – it’s somehow twisted. For my understanding smaller values in Ratio should lead to less compression (identical Threshold). In these two plugins, when I take small Ratio values, the compression is stronger than when I choose large Ratio values. Has somebody here recognized this strange behavior? You can hear it and you can even see it in the movement of the needle in the compressor display.

DAW is Reaper; NI Support doesn’t react to my ticket for two months now :-(

PS: I'm glad to be active here now :-D (just a still reader until today)
Old 28th June 2016
Gear Maniac

you are correct, lower ratio values (assuming everything else is set exactly the same) should result in less gain reduction. i havent used either of those compressors before,but looking at a video on youtube of the VC 76 it seems to behave as expected.

are you 100% sure your settings are the same, and are you 100% sure you are reading the meters correctly?
if so, then i would assume it to be a bug, although i dont see how a bug like that could happen, particularly with the quality of NI products
Old 28th June 2016
Here for the gear

So, in the meantime NI responded to my message and the (1st level?) support can reproduce this - they gave it to the development team now - maybe that is Softube since they made the plugins.
I just want to mention, nevertheless I'm really happy with the sound of the NI compressors and use them despite the small bug with the twisted ratio knob...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search