The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Next Generation Mac Pro Release (When ?)
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Next Generation Mac Pro Release (When ?)

Hi,

When can we expect the release of the next generation Mac Pro ?

It has been a record breaking wait for the next generation of Mac Pros. compared to previous refresh intervals. I'm guessing that we should see a refresh by Fall this year, the latest.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

I held my breath in vain today hoping they'd make an announcement during the conference this morning. I think the truth that Apple has stopped caring about the professional world is starting to become evident to me. They're doing what happened with Final Cut Pro to the entire Mac platform. I have the money saved up to replace my aging 2010 Macbook Pro with a screaming Mac Pro system, but I'm stuck between getting an ancient 5,1 with limited long-term value or an overpriced trashcan that is overdue for a refresh or is about to be discontinued altogether. I can't get excited about either choice right now. What am I supposed to do, get a freaking windows machine?!
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Addict

Retina iMac is pretty sweet for music production, if you ask me.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Just give us a damned box that we can whack everything into like the "old" days, please Apple.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

A bit disappointed myself with the new announcements. Still waiting for a MacBook Pro. I did see the new ones have a rumored touch strip oled screen.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

I think Apple doesn't prioritize the Mac Pro because it has too much of a niche market. Apple makes mass market products, anything that doesn't sell or have the potential to sell X million units doesn't make enough profit for it to be worth their time. I agree with Kaz in that a new iMac is a pretty great option because who knows when (or if) a new Mac Pro will ever come out.

Last edited by jsvalmont; 15th June 2016 at 10:06 PM..
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Maniac

My new 27" 5K iMac is pretty sweet. Of course, it's not a Mac Pro.
But I get a quad-core i7 and nice amount of ram and an SSD.

I was not at all interested in the new Mac Pro. For me I don't want dual video cards. I want dual CPUs, lots of RAM and fast I/O.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Been waiting for a Mac Pro for a long time too, gave up and went with another hackintosh. Crazy powerful and a fraction of the price - worth investigating. The Clover bootloader has made updating either seamless or incredibly easy.

Still waiting for the new Macbook Pro too, I was hoping that would be announced by now.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

I'd love new Mac pro announcement, considering they are working on a new thunderbolt 3 retina display I expect both will be unveiled together.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

This just came out in the UK:

"New Mac Pro 2016 release date rumours: El Capitan code hints at new Mac Pro
El Capitan's code contains a hint about the new Mac Pro's launch."

"We round up all the rumours of a new Mac Pro for 2016: its release date, specs and design changes, and new features"

"First up, code in OS X El Capitan offers a hint that a new Mac Pro may be on its way soon. There's a reference to a new Mac that's codenamed "AAPLJ95,1" within El Capitan, according to Pike's Universum.

The current Mac Pro is similarly codenamed AAPLJ90,1 so there is some logic to this new reference being a new version of the professional-level workstation."

"Another clue that this is the Mac Pro is the fact that the code hints that there are 10 USB 3.0 ports. Currently there are 4 USB ports and 6 Thunderbolt 2 ports on the Mac Pro. We think that adopting Thunderbolt 3 on the Mac Pro may make more sense as it brings Thunderbolt to USB-C at 40Gbps for the best of both worlds. More on that below."

So perhaps we will see them trickle in this fall if the stars align, and yes some fall to the other side with their predictions too. However, as a few have already said, the iMac 5K is really a great machine. Here's the story:

New Mac Pro 2016 release date & specs rumours - News - Macworld UK
Attached Thumbnails
Next Generation Mac Pro Release (When ?)-mac-pro-front-back.jpg   Next Generation Mac Pro Release (When ?)-mac-pro-front-back.jpg   Next Generation Mac Pro Release (When ?)-mac-pro-front-back-copy.jpg   Next Generation Mac Pro Release (When ?)-mac-pro-inside2_thumb800.jpg  
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

At everyone disappointed because of no hardware annoucement : WWDC ( World Wide DEVELOPERS Conference) has traditionally always been about software development and announcing the new Operating Systems (iOS, OSX, etc..) . It's quite rare that they make any major hardware announcement during that event. Hardware usually gets its own events a few times a year. We already know that major new MacBook Pros are to be released in the fall, possibly new MacPros. IPhones of course as well.

Be patient.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Jones Sr View Post
. ...Or accept that Apple doesn't come close to giving a crap about professionals in music, video, design any more....
You need to look into the crystal ball of what they do present, such as the WWDC yesterday, and when so much time is devoted to demoing new Emojis and funny animated stickers you can attach to imessages, you should be able to figure out Apple's vector.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/102/

And from last year :
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2015/507/

Apple slowing down on developing their pro apps ( except for Logic wich is thriving ) is one thing, but the core technology is constantly being worked up, and neither Apple nor Microsoft are supposed to develop all the apps running on their platforms themselves. That's the external developer's job.

Last edited by spaceman; 14th June 2016 at 03:38 PM..
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I held my breath in vain today hoping they'd make an announcement during the conference this morning. I think the truth that Apple has stopped caring about the professional world is starting to become evident to me. They're doing what happened with Final Cut Pro to the entire Mac platform. I have the money saved up to replace my aging 2010 Macbook Pro with a screaming Mac Pro system, but I'm stuck between getting an ancient 5,1 with limited long-term value or an overpriced trashcan that is overdue for a refresh or is about to be discontinued altogether. I can't get excited about either choice right now. What am I supposed to do, get a freaking windows machine?!
Did you know that there are plenty of editing software outside of Final Cut ? The new BlackMagic Resolve is getting far superior to FCPX in my opinion... and it's free ! The paid version adds a bunch of stuff that is probably not that useful for the lone editor ( network rendering, etc..). And its interface is very..hum..inspired by FCPX. So if you're not happy with FCPX and want to make the transition, it's not going to be as hard as you would think.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...davinciresolve
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
Did you know that there are plenty of editing software outside of Final Cut ? The new BlackMagic Resolve is getting far superior to FCPX in my opinion... and it's free ! The paid version adds a bunch of stuff that is probably not that useful for the lone editor ( network rendering, etc..). And its interface is very..hum..inspired by FCPX. So if you're not happy with FCPX and want to make the transition, it's not going to be as hard as you would think.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...davinciresolve
You're missing the point... I don't do video. Unlike with video software, there isn't really an easy alternative choice for pro mac users to switch over to. It's about the company not caring about their user base.

Did apple not announce the trashcan at WWDC years ago? It wasn't totally unreasonable to hope for an announcement.
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
You're missing the point... I don't do video. Unlike with video software, there isn't really an easy alternative choice for pro mac users to switch over to. It's about the company not caring about their user base.

Did apple not announce the trashcan at WWDC years ago? It wasn't totally unreasonable to hope for an announcement.
I understand your concern with respect to the Mac Pro, but it has been repeatedly said the iMac 5K is an excellent machine, and it scores quite well on third party cross-platform sites like Geekbench.
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Head

I've been using macs since 2007 but I'm so on the fence with going Dell for my next upgrade..

I'm looking into a recording laptop... and I don't want to pay $3000 for the outdated Macbooks when I can get that Dell XPS 13 for a fraction and it has way better specs.

I'm just wondering if I can live without logic and move onto another DAW... and how UA products will work with it (Looking into the Apollo Twin) and eventually apollo 8's.

Is it worth it to relearn windows 10 or get the laptop and run a hackintosh?? thoughts?
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

bring back the tower ! now we have to buy external enclosures that clutter our desk. When it all used to fit* nicely inside our cheese grater boxes.

Last edited by Circuitt; 14th June 2016 at 08:02 PM..
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitt View Post
bring back the tower ! now we have to buy external enclosures that clutter our desk. When it all used to fix nicely inside our cheese grater boxes.
+1000
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
bring back the tower ! now we have to buy external enclosures that clutter our desk. When it all used to fit* nicely inside our cheese grater boxes.
Here is an idea :
Ripoff the guts of your actual cheese-grater MP. Put the Trashcan MP and any external enclosure inside it. Profit.
Old 14th June 2016
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazRemark View Post
My imac 5k is doing a great job! I sold my 2015 MBP, to small to try and do anything for me!
Old 14th June 2016
Lives for gear

my 2012 mini is wheezing under the pressure of the production I'm throwing at it
I have a nice screen, no need for an imac, no chance of dropping stoopid wonga on a trash can
It's a hack for me
Old 14th June 2016
Gear Guru

i heard Graphics card only update ... who knows when ... i am waiting for the 55 gallon drum size trash can ... Garden Clippings Size ... Mulch !! the Mulch Can !!
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I couldn't count the number of times I've said this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
I don't think it's that they don't care about the professional market; I think it's just that the Mac Pro has too much of a niche market for Apple to really care about it. Apple makes mass market products, anything that doesn't sell or have the potential to sell to tens or hundreds of millions of people doesn't make enough money for it to be worth their time. That's just my two cents.
Whacking a TB-capable motherboard and appropriate I/O into a cheese grater wouldn't require much R&D time or money, I'd have thought.

Still holding out for a mega cheese grater. Considering how many would be all over it, I'm amazed Apple still hasn't gone there. It's not like its TB efforts would have been wasted - the trash can could continue and the cheese grater would be another vehicle through which to peddle TB.

This has been my thinking all along, and just like a typical old-school Mac fanboi, I'll continue to hold out in the hope that Apple eventually gives in.
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear
Once you go hack you never go back
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah, it will be my only option if Apple doesn't deliver before I run out of CPU power.

Thankfully my 12C 5680 upgrade will see me through for a while.
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

Part of the reason for the delays, is Intel being more than a year late in delivering the Skylake processors suitable for the MBP.
Old 15th June 2016
Gear Addict

I might well be the only one here but I really like my (so called trashcan) Mac Pro, I have an OWC thunderbolt dock and it runs fantastic, I record to the internal drive and it is blisteringly fast, I can pick it up put it into my bag or case and take it with me to other locations, I much prefer it to the old Mac Pro, altho I do understand why some don't feel the same
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazRemark View Post
I agree, but I can't get excited about an iMac.

I don't need a new screen, I don't want a machine with soldered in RAM that is too expensive to order from the factory and I need PCIe slots for ProTools.

So in the end, buying an iMac would cost me more money due to expansion chassis, etc....

As much as I hate to say this I'm going to either do Hackintosh or bite the bullet and do Windows.
Old 15th June 2016
Gear Addict

I ordered my RAM at OWC you can upgrade it, it's the MacBook Pro's you are thinking of. PCIE will be dead in a few years, I'd consider getting weaned off of it.
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Sergeant View Post
I might well be the only one here but I really like my (so called trashcan) Mac Pro, I have an OWC thunderbolt dock and it runs fantastic, I record to the internal drive and it is blisteringly fast, I can pick it up put it into my bag or case and take it with me to other locations, I much prefer it to the old Mac Pro, altho I do understand why some don't feel the same
Don't you also have to carry the variously-shaped-and-sized peripherals, Rico?

I'd have thought that external chassis for cards, drives, cables and whatnot, when taken along with your nMP, would make for a logistical nightmare when compared to a single cheese grater.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search