The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fabfilter Pro Q2 Backward Compatible? Equalizer Plugins
Old 4th June 2016
Lives for gear

Fabfilter Pro Q2 Backward Compatible?

Hey Slutz

I know someone here will know the answer. I get a lot of session from an artist to mix and his go to EQ for subtractive EQ is fabfilter pro he's on Pt 10. He uses fabfilter pro Q 1.I'm going to purchase it and know they're on fabfilter pro 2 but 1st I need to if I open his session on pt 12 with fabfilter pro 2 will everything open correctly?
Old 4th June 2016
Nope. If Fabfilter decided to keep the name of the plugin as just ProQ it would've opened fine, but the new one is a file now called ProQ2, so the DAW sees it as a completely separate plugin and you're going to have to start from scratch with it. Maybe he can write down his EQ settings and you can dial them in with ProQ2. Thats the only way its going to work. When they rename the actual plugin, its a totally new thing. If they simply keep calling it the same thing its always been called then it should open up just fine. In this case you're out of luck though because the new one is actually called ProQ2 now and not just ProQ.

I learned this the hard way ages ago when Absynth got updated past 1.0.. The original plugin was called Absynth. Then Native Instruments bought it, Absynth 2 came out and once I upgraded I deleted Absynth 1. Turns out they named the new plugin Absynth 2, so every song I opened up in Logic told me the old plugin couldn't be found and even though I had exported my sounds out of 1 and into 2, I had no way of knowing what was going on since I couldn't open the old plugin to see what patches I was using. They've done this with every version update since (as well as all their other plugins I own). Now I always keep the last version around for awhile until I can be sure Ive opened up all the older songs still on my drives where those virtual tracks haven't been bounced to audio yet just to be safe.
Old 4th June 2016
Go and ask FabFilter for a version 1 NFR. I've heard they provided those to v2 customers in the past. Usually, they excell in support.
Old 4th June 2016
Lives for gear

The post above mine is a great idea.

Just thinking out loud here, I wonder if it's possible for the presets from v1 to work with v2. Since v2 can do everything that v1 can do (plus more), it just might work. Worth a shot, anyway.
Old 4th June 2016
Here for the gear

This can be done by saving presets for each instance of Pro-Q in PT10 sessions and then loading the presets into Pro-Q2. See FabFilter Pro-Q 2 Help - Upgrading to Pro-Q 2
Old 27th June 2016
Gear Maniac

I found this link on their website for the original version of the plugins.

FabFilter Support - Free Additional Downloads, Extras and Previous Plug-in Versions
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search