The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Imperfect Samples - Thinking about buying Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Imperfect Samples - Thinking about buying

Hi guys,

I have the east west piano gold and the soundiron emotional piano libraries, but their still not what I'm looking for; a bit sterile and artificial..

Maybe imperfect samples could be a good alternative?

1) Has anyone recently dealt with them? How was the customer service?

2) I'm thinking about the fazioli, but I'm not sure which of the three versions below i should choose:
- pro
- komplete
- extreme

3)how usefull are the different mic positions? (for example in east west libraries this is very usefull, for other libraries I sometimes don't care about the mic position...

4) How usefull are the different layers in this case?

all help appreciated!

thanks!!
Old 30th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Also thinking about:

- Sonic Couture Hammersmith
- Strezov Piano

for the price of imperfect samples fazioli I can nearly buy stezov + hammersmith..
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

Fabulous libraries. I wish I'd bought them sooner! Bought two recently with no problems. I own the Hammersmith and think it's a perfect partner to the Fazoli or Walnut grand. On the edition, go for what you can afford. Personally I think the complete version is worth it, but they are all great.
Old 31st May 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicheaven View Post
4) How usefull are the different layers in this case?
They are more than useful but essential for creating a natural soundstage.

The Extreme version is totally worth it as it has more layers per key and also sympathetic string resonance which glues the notes together very nicely.

Customer support is good but can be slow at times.
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

I have Complete version of Imperfect Samples Fazioli and to answer the questions...

1) I haven't contacted Imperfect Samples since the purchase and download as there's not been an issue with transaction and all, but general product enquiries prior to the purchase was very smooth and Matt who runs the company answered my questions in detail.

2) I think Complete is enough but if you want to be careful you could start with either Basic or Pro and upgrade the library later on. That said, I have a feeling that you may not get its full flavour without the Mic Position 3 (Room Mic) which isn't included in Basic or Pro.

3) Mic Position 1 & 3 are the ones I often use. Mic Position 1 is dark and warm sounding with more audible hammer actions, 2 is brighter with full body, 3 is supposed to be room ambience but it has a lot of piano sound to it with very detailed tone. Mic Position 1 & 2 in particular sound like they are low-passed around 5-6khz. In some cases Position 3 could be enough but the downside of it is it could sound a bit honky-tonky when playing chords with your left hand at some velocities. That's where blending with other mic perspectives becomes useful in my case.

4) It's pretty much the same as other libraries I suppose but with fewer layers you lose smooth transition between different velocities and some notes could appear to be jumping out of the dynamics. I would never buy any piano library with less than 8 layers.

Imperfect Fazioli is an excellent library, but it's not an all rounder. It has such a distinct character which is its strength but weakness at the same time. If you know what you are buying, there's absolutely no contender in piano library market afaik.
Old 31st May 2016
Gear Maniac

thanks guys!
hesitating betwee komplete and extreme now
AND
hesitating between walnut grand and fazioli grand..

other acoustic piano libraries: east west gold, soundiron piano in blue, native instruments komplete
Old 31st May 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

I should tell you that this library totally sucks. Hey, I want to have it all to myself!
Old 31st May 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
thanks guys!
hesitating betwee komplete and extreme now
AND
I got Complete first, to try it out, and upgraded to Extreme within a day. It's a massive download, though.
Old 31st May 2016
Gear Head

When I first got the Walnut Grand, I thought it was amazing and have been using it all the time, but after getting the Fazioli, I hardly use the Walnut Grand anymore, the Fazioli sounds so much richer as a grand, just beautiful sounding. Somehow I do prefer the Walnut Grand's interface though, it's more flexible to me, probably because it's newer. One thing to watch out for is that certain mic positions can create some phasing problems in stereo, and what you hear through the headphones may not sound the same with speakers.
Old 31st May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzemusic View Post
One thing to watch out for is that certain mic positions can create some phasing problems in stereo, and what you hear through the headphones may not sound the same with speakers.
Big time. I just discovered this on the Fazioli. Really wish there was a phase invert button for the mics.
Old 31st May 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNotDedyet View Post
Really wish there was a phase invert button for the mics.
I doubt that full phase inversion would sound good, but you could still try it out. In Kontakt, you can route the different mic positions to different mixer channels. I did that with the sustain pedal noises.
Old 31st May 2016
Gear Addict

Imperfect offers some terrific sounding libraries. However, I've read about several instances of customer service being off the grid for extended periods. I believe the guy who runs it has had some health issues. Fair enough, but I'd advise that you make contact before purchasing.

Hammersmith is also an amazing sounding library. My personal favorite.
Old 31st May 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi guys, first of all: thanks for all the help!

1) I've send them an email yesterday, no reponse yet...
2) Is the phasing problem so bad that you prefer replacing it by another library in the mix sometimes?
3) Is the the hammersmith 'imperfect' sounding? how would you describe it? i'm looking for something with character, the east west pianos are to clean (and artificial), the NI pianos suck, the soundiron piano in blue is ok, so I'm looking for something with character....
Old 31st May 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Deaf View Post
... I'd advise that you make contact before purchasing.
From what I can tell, the processes of accepting payment and issuing download links are automated. In any event, I received my emails immediately.
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
From what I can tell, the processes of accepting payment and issuing download links are automated. In any event, I received my emails immediately.
That's good to hear. I know some folks over at VI Control had some tense moments waiting for contact after purchases, but that was a while ago.

How long ago did you buy yours?
Old 1st June 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Deaf View Post
That's good to hear. I know some folks over at VI Control had some tense moments waiting for contact after purchases, but that was a while ago.

How long ago did you buy yours?
Only a couple of weeks ago.

Receiving an email response from Matt can indeed take a long time. I think and hope that his health issues are no longer affecting him in a way they did some time ago. I'm sure he's a great guy.
Old 1st June 2016
Gear Maniac

no response yet...
Old 1st June 2016
Lives for gear

I mailed him and it took a couple of days, but the purchase was fast easy so I'm fine with that.
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Head

1) Usually, the ordering is automated, I got my extreme version sent to HK within a week after ordering, so it was good.
2) For me, the phasing problems is more troublesome when mixing a piano and vocal duet, the relative volume between the 2 might vary when you move around the speakers, I guess that happens in a real piano duet setup too, but it doesn't seem to matter too much in a mix with lots of instruments.
3) Haven't tried Hammersmith, but for me, the imperfect samples are much better than Alicia Keys, Ivory etc.

Quote:
Hi guys, first of all: thanks for all the help!

1) I've send them an email yesterday, no reponse yet...
2) Is the phasing problem so bad that you prefer replacing it by another library in the mix sometimes?
3) Is the the hammersmith 'imperfect' sounding? how would you describe it? i'm looking for something with character, the east west pianos are to clean (and artificial), the NI pianos suck, the soundiron piano in blue is ok, so I'm looking for something with character....
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

still no response
Old 2nd June 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

BTW, Matt wrote to me that there are no deliveries on HD at the moment. All libraries are download only.
Old 4th June 2016
Gear Maniac

not decided yet and listening to demos

VERY impressed with NI The Grandeur! Wauw!
Galaxy vintage D is sounding good too, bet less than grandeur
Impact soundworks ok, but not splendid
Hammersmith ok, but not sure yet

problem with the samplelibraries is that - contrary to synths - there is no trial period, thats a bummer
Old 10th April 2018
Here for the gear

imperfect samples

Hi,
I'm new to the community, so bear with me.
I'm interested in purchasing the Braunschweig upright piano library from Imperfect samples.
Has anyone RECENTLY purchased the Braunschweig from IS? And was the download immediate/successful with no Kontakt technical issues?
Can I purchase and download without prior contact with IS?
I am also experiencing a lack of response from Matt.
Thanks
kalisam1
Old 10th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisam1 View Post
Hi,
I'm new to the community, so bear with me.
I'm interested in purchasing the Braunschweig upright piano library from Imperfect samples.
Has anyone RECENTLY purchased the Braunschweig from IS? And was the download immediate/successful with no Kontakt technical issues?
Can I purchase and download without prior contact with IS?
I am also experiencing a lack of response from Matt.
Thanks
kalisam1
I believe he had some health issues, which is too bad and wish him well... as his libraries I found to be fantastic.
Old 11th April 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for replying. They do sound amazing.
When was your most recent IS transaction?
I'm mostly concerned as to whether the website store is still active and functioning. I heard that the transaction process is entirely automated. Do you think that it would be relatively safe to purchase the Braunschweig without prior confirmation with Matt?
Old 11th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalisam1 View Post
Thanks for replying. They do sound amazing.
When was your most recent IS transaction?
I'm mostly concerned as to whether the website store is still active and functioning. I heard that the transaction process is entirely automated. Do you think that it would be relatively safe to purchase the Braunschweig without prior confirmation with Matt?
Christ, I was a LOONG time ago, maybe perhaps 2010? I know from reading here that they revamped their system etc, but I bought that so long ago I don't even remember tbh, sorry I can't be more help.
Old 22nd May 2018
Here for the gear

For all of you asking if the site is still working. Yes it is. I just got the upright a few weeks ago and it sounds amazing
Old 5th December 2018
Gear Maniac

Hi guys,

Just to let you know, fastspring are handling all the downloads and they should be instant, so if you need any help downloading, just send them an email orders[at]fastspring[dot]com, they're very fast at replying and available 24/7!

Matt
Old 5th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9b View Post
Hi guys,

Just to let you know, fastspring are handling all the downloads and they should be instant, so if you need any help downloading, just send them an email orders[at]fastspring[dot]com, they're very fast at replying and available 24/7!

Matt
Great to hear Matt!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search