The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avid Artist Mix - successor on the way? Control Surfaces
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Avid Artist Mix - successor on the way?

Hey all, I just noticed that the main internet resellers are selling the Artist Mix for under a grand now. Does this, in addition to the fact that it's getting harder to find the Artist Transport, mean that Avid may be prepping a new set of hardware controllers in this price range? Namm?

Or, is the Dock the new standard from Avid?
Old 22nd May 2016
The dock replaces the transport, yes.
Old 22nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

I thought that would be the case. I'm interested to see if the Mix gets updated at NAMM - don't want to buy now if theres something new on the near horizon...
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Looking into this a little more (I don't know, I just love a good conspiracy... :-) ) and Musician's Friend has them at the regular price, but unavailable until 6/20 - just a few days before Summer NAMM...

Hmmm, methinks mesmells a hardware refresh...
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
Hey all, I just noticed that the main internet resellers are selling the Artist Mix for under a grand now. Does this, in addition to the fact that it's getting harder to find the Artist Transport, mean that Avid may be prepping a new set of hardware controllers in this price range? Namm?

Or, is the Dock the new standard from Avid?

This is the Avid announcement from last week so it doesn't appear any refresh is coming any time soon.
For a Limited Time: Avid Artist Mix Now Available for $999

May 18, 2016

Artist Mix Avid Artist Mix has been announced with a special promotion for current Pro Tools and Media Composer users. From now through September 30, 2016 all Pro Tools and Media Composer customers who have an active Annual Upgrade Plan, Annual Support Plan, or Annual Subscription can purchase it at the reduced price of only $999 (USD).
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

If anything I think it shows avid haven't got a clue what there doing anymore.
Like a lot of the business lately its not coherent..if I was them I would have had cheaper products out by now the avid range of controllers have been out many many years and instead of dropping in price or revised the products range they stuck too the same models and in the UK the price has rose not dropped as times gone on.
Ive always liked there controllers but never bought one because I've always had a gut feeling the second id buy one they'd announce no support and drop them.
I'm not the only one my mates feel the same .

What would have been good is if they made a range similar too the Steinberg ones which came out a few years ago..small..cheap..well built.if they chucked In a stripped down version of protools that would hook in new users too ..the reason the mboxs were successful was down too them being priced right and advertised right to they need too focus back on that area if not there market will continue too drop.
Old 24th May 2016
I don't think there's anything wrong with the artist controllers. Cheap controllers feel cheap, and whilst the artist range aren't exactly penny and Giles faders, they're solid enough. Certainly would want anything less well built!

Someone at entire level possibly isn't going to get great use out of a control surface anyway - better to put more money into the interface at that point.

PS I went to a live sound demo for the S6L live console the other day - they very definitely know what they're doing there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
If anything I think it shows avid haven't got a clue what there doing anymore.
Like a lot of the business lately its not coherent..if I was them I would have had cheaper products out by now the avid range of controllers have been out many many years and instead of dropping in price or revised the products range they stuck too the same models and in the UK the price has rose not dropped as times gone on.
Ive always liked there controllers but never bought one because I've always had a gut feeling the second id buy one they'd announce no support and drop them.
I'm not the only one my mates feel the same .

What would have been good is if they made a range similar too the Steinberg ones which came out a few years ago..small..cheap..well built.if they chucked In a stripped down version of protools that would hook in new users too ..the reason the mboxs were successful was down too them being priced right and advertised right to they need too focus back on that area if not there market will continue too drop.
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with the artist controllers. Cheap controllers feel cheap, and whilst the artist range aren't exactly penny and Giles faders, they're solid enough. Certainly would want anything less well built!

Someone at entire level possibly isn't going to get great use out of a control surface anyway - better to put more money into the interface at that point.

PS I went to a live sound demo for the S6L live console the other day - they very definitely know what they're doing there!
I'm not saying there making bad controllers in fact the opposite but you must agree there market there appealing too is dwindling every year and the avid control/mix controllers prices haven't dropped they've gone up.
You can also have well built cheap controllers too just because there cheap doesn't mean there badly built.
I was looking at the prices of the avid s6 that too is way over priced and cant imagine they'd sell enough too be considered a hit.
They've been in the business many years and the mboxs were a massive hit for them but it seems since protools 10 they haven't a clue who there target buyers are if they introduced a new range similar too digidesign mbox 3 mixer and priced the same as before but usuanle with not only pt but all daws they'd have a hit the market is cryin out for a mixer/controller/interface that's priced under a grand.
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not saying there making bad controllers in fact the opposite but you must agree there market there appealing too is dwindling every year and the avid control/mix controllers prices haven't dropped they've gone up.
You can also have well built cheap controllers too just because there cheap doesn't mean there badly built.
If the market is "dwindling" I'm guessing that's because they're built well enough to last for a few years, and the market isn't large to begin with. Having said that I don't actually think it's dwindling at all. I've seen medium size facilities go from bigger controllers exactly to the Artist series.

Quote:
I was looking at the prices of the avid s6 that too is way over priced and cant imagine they'd sell enough too be considered a hit.
If it's too expensive to you then of course you think it's overpriced. But there's no alternative to it on that size controller, and there's "no alternative" to Pro Tools in the market where that size controller is wanted. So it's actually not "overpriced" because there aren't "alternatives" really.

Quote:
it seems since protools 10 they haven't a clue who there target buyers are if they introduced a new range similar too digidesign mbox 3 mixer and priced the same as before but usuanle with not only pt but all daws they'd have a hit the market is cryin out for a mixer/controller/interface that's priced under a grand.
This is more or less the same argument that's in the Cubase controller thread. The market is probably not that big to begin with, and under $1,0000 you already have the Behringer, used gear, and can probably find both the QCon and Mackie if you search. So why would they compete in that market when it's only somewhat less than the already cheap Artist series and introduces new costs for the company. There's R&D, marketing, support etc.

I just don't see how it makes financial sense. They already have a "hit" in the Artist series. Why change?
Old 25th May 2016
I think Avid is pretty committed to what they already have. Can't see them launching something to replace the Artist series. The dock is meant to complement S3. I might be wrong of course and Avid has done weirder things.
Old 25th May 2016
Quote:
well if the prices haven't dropped, they must be selling well. I don't really know - I bought mine 2nd hand - they're certainly not for everybody.

Quote:
Can you give me an example? Building to a price point always means compromises somewhere.

Quote:
Have you seen one in the flesh or watched any of the videos? How many SSL Dualitys are sold worldwide? It's not "overpriced" - you just can't afford it (nor is it aimed at you or me). When you watch someone who really knows what they're doing with it...it's pretty impressive.

Quote:
They've been in the business many years and the mboxs were a massive hit for them but it seems since protools 10 they haven't a clue who there target buyers are if they introduced a new range similar too digidesign mbox 3 mixer and priced the same as before but usuanle with not only pt but all daws they'd have a hit the market is cryin out for a mixer/controller/interface that's priced under a grand.
Well, EUCON is usable with all DAWs I believe. I think you're just looking at it from a different viewpoint. Their target market as they see it isn't where you see it. I'm getting emails regarding things like this - </title> <meta name="description" content="" /> <meta name="keywords" content=""/> <meta name="viewport" content="user-scalable=no, width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1"> <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.avid.com/products/avid-n - about as far from an Mbox as you can get. The S6, S6L, S3L aren't aimed at the home user, which is why they have the features they do and are the price they are.

Is the market really crying out for this? Where's the evidence?
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

The $999 offer is a special offer for Pro Tools Support Plan/Media Composer customers only. It's not a clearance sale. I don't foresee them discontinuing the Artist Mix anytime soon. The Artist Mix has its own place in the market that none of the new Avid controllers are replacing. The Artist Transport is already discontinued because of the Dock. I also think that the Artist Control will follow suit because of the Dock. Using an iPad for a touch screen is so much better than having one built in. The reason being that you get the best quality/features/processing/price ratio of the iPad due to the incredible economy of scale that Apple enjoys (an equivalent device/built in screen from Avid would cost far more - and the iPad is continually upgrade able). With the Artist Mix though, that is a pure hardware controller surface that has a significant cost advantage over the S3 at the cost of features and build quality and thus it hits a completely different market segment. Therefore I do not see the Artist Mix going away for at least a couple more years.
Old 3rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
The $999 offer is a special offer for Pro Tools Support Plan/Media Composer customers only. It's not a clearance sale. I don't foresee them discontinuing the Artist Mix anytime soon. The Artist Mix has its own place in the market that none of the new Avid controllers are replacing. The Artist Transport is already discontinued because of the Dock. I also think that the Artist Control will follow suit because of the Dock. Using an iPad for a touch screen is so much better than having one built in. The reason being that you get the best quality/features/processing/price ratio of the iPad due to the incredible economy of scale that Apple enjoys (an equivalent device/built in screen from Avid would cost far more - and the iPad is continually upgrade able). With the Artist Mix though, that is a pure hardware controller surface that has a significant cost advantage over the S3 at the cost of features and build quality and thus it hits a completely different market segment. Therefore I do not see the Artist Mix going away for at least a couple more years.
My prediction has come true: the Artist Control has now been discontinued.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search