The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samplitude or Sonar
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

Samplitude or Sonar

Some day, hopefully soon, I'll be looking to update my Digi 001, G4 setup. I'm all but certain that I'll be leaving Protools LE behind. I also think that I'll be moving to the PC platform with a music PC built by either ADK or Sonica. I previously looked at Cubase, which was attractive at the time, but C4 has received less than stellar reviews and I'm not impressed with what I see from Steinberg's customer service.

Samplitude and Sonar both seem attractive. The biggest factor for me is stability. I've never done much midi, but I'll likely be getting a software sampler and some softsynths (Arturia and Scarbee stuff) to supplement my hardware keys.

Is there a clear choice here or just personal preference? Thanks.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

HI,
light Midi Samplitude hands down its extemely elgant.
serius Midi, Cubase would be my first choice with Sonar the second.

Scott
ADK
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks, Scott. I'll probably be calling you one of these days to discuss this in more detail. Are you saying that Samplitude wins hands down as far as audio goes and for light midi work? Thanks.
Old 9th February 2007
I have tried both programs. (They both have demos you can try). Samplitude seems less complicated (I am a Cubase user) than Sonar. Both though are great programs and there are pros and cons on each DAW. You should really try both and and see for yoursef. Samplitude is nice that all track, effects, EQ are all shown at the same time in the mixer and arrange page. Sonar has more of a mixer close up look like Cubase.
Samplitude 9.01 has made nice improvements with midi. I found the midi editor pretty similar (Sonar as well) to Cubase.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

brad...
programs mentioned so far are very good....
but if u want to save some money..powertracks that i use is excellent for midi.
hundreds of midi features. prolly more than youll ever need.

if u doubt me ....pgmusic.com for other user references and demo/user forum etc.
its also a dam fine audio recorder/multitracker.....up to 48 tracks.
also look at reaper....super for audio multitracking. (midi is coming along nicely also.) once again for demo etc ..cockos.com.
both packages together are under a 100 buks and i need nothing else on pc.
they are my favs on pc...but youll need a pc to run them.
for affordable i suggest a dual amd 64 with 2 gigs ram and a couple of 7200 rpm drives preferably with 16 mb cache.
or if your willing to spend more intel core duo 2 as a processor.same drives n memory.
peace.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Serious audio, mastering and tracking w/ light to serious MIDI..... Samplitude wins hands down. Stability .....Samplitude wins hands down.

Confessions from a former SONAR user.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
Thanks, Scott. I'll probably be calling you one of these days to discuss this in more detail. Are you saying that Samplitude wins hands down as far as audio goes and for light midi work? Thanks.
YES.
it still lacks a great deal in the Midi dept but for someone who is not scoring film its fine.

in fact MIdi aside the only other thing is its not multithreaded beyond 2 CPUs.

Scott
ADK
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

QUAD support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
YES.
it still lacks a great deal in the Midi dept but for someone who is not scoring film its fine.

in fact MIdi aside the only other thing is its not multithreaded beyond 2 CPUs.

Scott
ADK
If you check at the Samp specs on the Magix website, it clearly says there that Samplitude supports up to quad processors.

I am running Samp 9 on a Core2Duo setup and its a dream.

Peace
Marco
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. Samplitude sounds like the way to go.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

It is! I'm sure within 5 years Samplitude will be much more popular than it is now...
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Addict
Samplitude 9 Pro - $1,099.00

Sonar 6 PE Competetive Upgrade - $399

Is it worth $700 more?
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Samplitude 9 comp upgrade is $399 as well through the end of February.

BTW - who has used this?
Attached Thumbnails
Samplitude or Sonar-notator1.gif  
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
It is! I'm sure within 5 years Samplitude will be much more popular than it is now...
Less than five years IMO...dfegad
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

The quality of the new plug-ins in Samp 9, is already worth the upgrade. The new Variverb is smoother and with better imaging than most software reverbs out there.

And the analog suite is also amazing.

One could literally mix projects ITB without having to reach for 3rd party plugins.

Samplitude also now has true mono tracks, as well as panning of the aux send channels. My guess is that this is one of the reasons why it has better imaging than in version 8.

Peace
Marco
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Maniac

For mixing, editing, mastering, Samplitude is simply fantastic!!!! Samplitude simply sounds great and allows you to work in ways no other DAW is capable of. However, if you need serious MIDI capabilities, it's still not up to par. I was a former Digital Performer user and can see Samp's MIDI deficiencies. But if you dont require MIDI, Samplitude is the way to go. Download the demo. However, give it some time....it has a rather steep learning curve in order to get a hang of things especially is you've been accustomed to Pro Tools.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

As far as DAWs go, I think Samplitude sounds better than any of the rest I have heard like Nuendo, Cubase and Protools. The coolest thing about Samplitude is "Samp For Rent", you can rent it for like $29/month as a crossgrade. That puts it within everyone's reach.

I use Protools because it fits the way I work better. I'm real old-school, started on a tube 1" 8-track a bit over 30 yrs ago, so Protools works more like a console/tape machine, never really had to read the manual.

But Samp really sound good.
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
Samplitude 9 comp upgrade is $399 as well through the end of February.

BTW - who has used this?
Not only that but Pro 24 alsothumbsup
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflute View Post
If you check at the Samp specs on the Magix website, it clearly says there that Samplitude supports up to quad processors.

I am running Samp 9 on a Core2Duo setup and its a dream.

Peace
Marco
well it does NOT.
i have tested it on
Single Core 2 duo
Single Core 2 QUAD
Dual Xeon woodcrest
Dual Quad Xeon Cloverton.

2 cpus is all it uses.

Scott
ADK
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
well it does NOT.
i have tested it on
Single Core 2 duo
Single Core 2 QUAD
Dual Xeon woodcrest
Dual Quad Xeon Cloverton.

2 cpus is all it uses.

Scott
ADK
Scott, have you tested Sam 9? I've been wondering about this myself. The site does say that Sam 9 is optimized for up to four cores, but whenever anyone specifically asks about this on their forums the developers are silent.

I have a feeling that this is something that's planned but not working yet. Magix has a history of advertising features in Sam that don't work correctly or don't appear until later revisions.
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Scott, have you tested Sam 9? I've been wondering about this myself. The site does say that Sam 9 is optimized for up to four cores, but whenever anyone specifically asks about this on their forums the developers are silent.

I have a feeling that this is something that's planned but not working yet. Magix has a history of advertising features in Sam that don't work correctly or don't appear until later revisions.
Samp 9 is currently using 2 cores ONLY in the hybrid engine mode. Using any of the classic modes will use 1 core only. This kinda sucks cause Hybrid engine uses a lot more resources and is not necessary when mixing. I haven't tried quad core yet so can't comment on that. However, all this is supposed to change in 9.1?
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

9.1 fellas. In the spring.
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Head

There will be delay compensation for external effects too with 9.1

and all Sascha plug-ins is now available as VST
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
There will be delay compensation for external effects too with 9.1

and all Sascha plug-ins is now available as VST
Do you know how much these will cost for those who own Samplitude 9? Crossgrade?

Quote:
9.1 fellas. In the spring.
I cant wait!
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustacheVerra View Post
Do you know how much these will cost for those who own Samplitude 9? Crossgrade?
You mean 8? because they are already included in number 9
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflute View Post
You mean 8? because they are already included in number 9
I know. I meant to use it on my slaves...
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

both of them are really nice but i'd rather use sonar... as i use a lot of midi on my stuff... i always found samplitude strangely complicated...

and sonar 9 is very very stable....
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

That's awesome that Samplitude will be adding compensation for outboard geat in 9.1. That will make my decision that much easier.
Old 10th February 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
both of them are really nice but i'd rather use sonar... as i use a lot of midi on my stuff... i always found samplitude strangely complicated...

and sonar 9 is very very stable....

Maybe Sonar 9 will be stable, but at this time they are on Version 6 - anyway I doubt that sonar will ever be stable (just my experience)

When stability is the major factor as you - BradD - say than choose Samplitude.

Crossgrade is 599,-- regular but I read here and on kvr you can get it for only 399,-- at the moment, that's a very good deal indeed. It uses two cores in hybrid mode. The "sascha suite" is included and will be updated to the "seperate suite look" with a samp update. However, this won't give you the abbility to use them in other hosts, they are bound to samplitude. If you want to use them in other hosts you'll have to buy the seperate suite. It's cheaper to dowmload the demoversions at their website an purchase a code only than than to purchase a boxed version, though. This is what I read from sascha at kvr and the samplitude forum.

cheers, robi
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
Maybe Sonar 9 will be stable, but at this time they are on Version 6 - anyway I doubt that sonar will ever be stable (just my experience)
i messed up of course i am talking about sonar 6.2... my mistake... and it very is stable now. and has quite a few functions that samplitude simply does not... i've been running version 6 for months with no problems whatsoever.

"now if a six turned out to be nine, i don't mind ..." (jimi)
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

I left Sonar for stability issues and went to Samplitude. From the moment I switched, I've been stable as a rock.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search