The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on the Harrison Mixbus? DAW Software
Old 22nd August 2018
Gear Guru
Just to check in. The current version has been great and as always their support is great. I'm hoping that the 32c isn't going to make regular Mixbus a legacy product. I can't use 32c because I mix on a small laptop and the layout won't fit easily. I like it because sounds great seems intuitive, and looks like a console.
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the nice comments!

@ ardis : 32C does not replace regular Mixbus. A Mixbus v5 release is coming in a few weeks.

Best,
-Ben at Harrison
Old 22nd August 2018
Gear Guru
What will Mixbus 5 do?
Old 22nd August 2018
Lives for gear

Mixbus5 will have all the new features added to Mixbus32C5 ( but with the regular Mixbus mixer strip, of course )

-Ben
Old 23rd August 2018
Personally I feel featurewise v5 is the weakest upgrade so far. I like what's new - except scrolling through the busses which I hate, but many will love it - but it feels not that much more than some of the free updates before. But I'm sure there's a lot going on under the hood. Didn't wanna rant, just sayin'...

Ben, will some feature upgrade/update see more busses or is it technically impossible? 4 more to make it 16 would be killer.
Old 9th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchlomo View Post
You pretty much nailed it, great post. I might add that with v4 I find 3rd party plugins to be no more problematic than in other DAWs with very few exceptions.
That said, anyone tried v5 already?
I have v5. Not sure of the new features as although I owned v4, I barely used it (I got it cheap when they offered a sale price to SONAR customers following the demise of Cakewalk).

That said, I've just actually properly mixed a project in v5, the first time I've sat down and played with it properly. I'm very impressed with the EQ, compressor etc. I managed to get a good sounding mix much quicker than I did with SONAR, so it works on that front.

However, it's very barebones in terms of packaged plugins, and although I got the essentials bundle which includes a few useful ones, the purchased reverb and delay aren't as good as what I got with SONAR back in 2015.

I've also found 3rd party plugin support to be awful compared to SONAR and Reaper, which are the other DAWs I've used. I'm having a hell of a time trying to get a load of my plugins to be accepted by Mixbus - the plugin scan finds them, but puts them on the blacklist, without any explanation and I can't find a way of overriding this.

I'm aware that I can't use 32-bit plugins in the 64-bit version of Mixbus, and I've tried both versions and get the same result either way.

I currently have dialogue with Harrison support trying to get this resolved. If I can get the issues with these plugins resolved, then based on the one project I've mixed so far, it gets a thumbs-up from me.

I wouldn't want to program midi using the piano roll in it though - the controls for this are fiddly to say the least. SONAR/Cakewalk does this much better. As does Reaper.

EDIT: Turns out I'm an idiot - the plugins I was trying to use were DX plugins and not VST, which is the reason Mixbus won't accept them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search