The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your Fireface 802, Motu 1248 and Focusrite 18i20 PC USB latency figures please.
Old 13th May 2016
Gear Head

Your Fireface 802, Motu 1248 and Focusrite 18i20 PC USB latency figures please.

I’m putting together a new PC based DAW system, and I’m going to need a new audio interface. I’ll be mainly recording keyboards, so mic pre-amps aren’t the highest priority to me, just decent a/d and 6 to 8 inputs.

I’ve narrowed down my choice to the RME Fireface 802 or the MOTU 1248 with the Focusrite 18i20 a possibility (I’ve heard so many mixed comments on the Focusrite about build and reliability).

I’m also planning on running VST instruments which I’d like to do with as little latency as possible. In the past, I’ve been on PCI based cards, so I’m used to low latency when playing virtual instruments.

I’m aware that most interfaces offer near-zero latency when recording from Mic or line-inputs via direct monitoring, but what sort of latency figures can I expect for VST’s using the above interfaces over USB on a new i7 PC build (thinking about a 6 Core i7 5820x for decent performance in Diva).

I’ve heard nothing but good things about RME drivers, and I’m guessing I’d get similar figures to the UCX/UFX units in Tafkat’s excellent low latency database, but how does the MOTU compare over USB?

I like the look of the MOTU, the potential for expandability via AVB and the possibility of reducing latency further via Thunderbolt and the new PC drivers recently announced.

Asus have a thunderbolt 2 card which I presume would work with the MOTU? (I can always check with them directly).

So it would help me to get some real-world latency figures on recent PCs for any of the three interfaces mentioned – especially the MOTU, as most of the info available is Mac related.

Cheers.
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Maniac

My Logic X reports 3,4 ms roundtrip with my RME FF 802 connected via USB and set to 32 samples.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search